The Magic Faraway Tree pre-name changes

Advertise for wanted items. (Please note: The Enid Blyton Society is not responsible for anything listed in these forums. You buy and sell at your own risk.)
sharon1953

The Magic Faraway Tree pre-name changes

Post by sharon1953 »

I am looking for an older copy of the Magic Faraway Tree before they changed the characters names Bessie, Fanny, Dick and Dame Slap! (Due to P.Correctness and keeping up with the times! ). I Read the book myself in 1962 and fell in love with it, and now want to share it with my grandson. Just missed a couple on ebay, so wondered if anyone on here had a copy I could buy. Sharon
Moose
Favourite book/series: Malory Towers
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Moose »

i don't, alas - or possibly I do somewhere but I wouldn't have the faintest idea where - but you could try enidblytoncollector who posts here and uses that name on ebay - she seems to have loads of cool original Blyton stuff for sale.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.
I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.
Time to die.

EF
Tess

Post by Tess »

I think what you need to do is find out when 'they' decided to change the names, then look on somewhere like AbeBooks.co.uk for an edition printed before then.
I bought my copies (sadly not for sale!), paperbacks published by Mammoth, in the late 80's/early 90's and they're the non-p.c. texts.
Quite honestly I never heard anything so stupid as to have changed Dame Slap to her new incarnation, utterly ridiculous!!
Tess
sharon1953

Post by sharon1953 »

thanks, they do come up on ebay, so keeping a watch on some at the mo
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

A lot is to do with our (the British) current craze of, Mustn't do anything to upset foreigners/other cultures policy.

We have councils that have banned the term, Christmas - so as not to offend the Muslim community. This is so absurd. I know many people of the Muslim faith, and know of none who is offended by the term Christmas.

As for Fanny and Dick, I suppose that's self-explanatory, though totally unnecessary; and as for Bessie being a black slave's name, how ridiculous.

Of course, smacking is now an unforgivable sin, so we can't have a Dame Slap.

[retires to bedroom for self-flagellation]
Society Member
Tess

Post by Tess »

There's another thread on this somewhere but I can't find it - can anyone help?
Tess
Rainbow_Mall

Faraway Tree Collection

Post by Rainbow_Mall »

I have this set currently on auction on Ebay Uk Have a look if you are still looking

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Rainbow-Mall-International

Have a nice day Andrea :D
yummymummy080911

Re: The magic faraway Tree pre-name changes

Post by yummymummy080911 »

i have some hun reasonable offers