Looking for someone who speaks English :-)

Advertise for wanted items. (Please note: The Enid Blyton Society is not responsible for anything listed in these forums. You buy and sell at your own risk.)
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Re: Looking for someone who speaks English :-)

Post by Courtenay »

I'd say electronic translators are usually OK for simple sentences — for example, if you're travelling in a country where you don't speak the language and you just need to know how to ask for something. But there is no way an electronic translator can translate a whole book and have it come out sounding as if it had been written by someone who speaks that language fluently. If you want a translation to sound natural, you really need a human being to do it. Computers just haven't come that far yet! :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Dick Kirrin
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Barney Mysteries
Favourite character: Julian, Dick

Post by Dick Kirrin »

Computers just haven't come that far yet!
... and I hope they never will. People can travel around the world without having to speak a word of the local language too much as it is.
You don't speak to people, you don't meet people. You don't meet people, you don't have to travel. I can spend my time and considerably less money just watching documentaries about whatever place I want to visit. It's not the same, but neither is being the tourist who is helpless without his smartphone or tour guide.
Granted, my Chinese or Japanese is non-existent, and same goes for my Arabic, but there are a few countries in the world where I would get by.

As for your problem, Heike, well, a paid professional translator is the one answer, the other one is you look at the stories like you were going to write them again.. in English. That way, you will have the mental strenght to part with word-by-word translations.
"You just never knew what would happen. It made life exciting, of course - but it did spoil a cycling tour!"
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Dick Kirrin wrote: ... and I hope they never will. People can travel around the world without having to speak a word of the local language too much as it is.
You don't speak to people, you don't meet people. You don't meet people, you don't have to travel. I can spend my time and considerably less money just watching documentaries about whatever place I want to visit. It's not the same, but neither is being the tourist who is helpless without his smartphone or tour guide.
Oh, I totally agree. It's helpful to be able to look up words quickly when you need them, but if you're going to spend any amount of time in a country with a different language, to me it's just a mark of basic respect and decency to learn at least a little of the local language for yourself and try to use it, instead of expecting everyone else to speak English for your benefit. Admittedly I haven't yet travelled very much in non-English-speaking countries myself, but I would put in that effort when I do! :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Heike
Favourite book/series: Famous five
Favourite character: George

Post by Heike »

Yes, that's absolutely correct, Courtenay.
If you move to another country, you should speak the language. I lived in Spain for 8 years and think my Spanish is better than my English. Even if my Spanish is not very good, it was enough for talks.

That's true. The online translators make many mistakes in translation. Some are even funny. I have to edit my translated books word for word. For that, I have to change the story too.

For example:
"Haut ab" translated with "Skin off", means but disappears. :D
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

Dick Kirrin wrote: You don't speak to people, you don't meet people. You don't meet people, you don't have to travel. I can spend my time and considerably less money just watching documentaries about whatever place I want to visit. It's not the same, but neither is being the tourist who is helpless without his smartphone or tour guide.
I knew there was I reason I dislike travelling ;-).
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Heike
Favourite book/series: Famous five
Favourite character: George

Post by Heike »

And I like to sit in my room, writing my books, and traveling in my thoughts. In my mind, the world is more beautiful anyway. If I'm interested in a country, I look at Youtube. :D