Problem with accessing forums

Questions? Comments? Suggestions? Here's where to go!
Boodi 2
Favourite book/series: The Five Find-outers, The Six Cousins
Favourite character: Ern

Re: Problem with accessing forums

Post by Boodi 2 »

Thanks John and Anita!

The message I got was "You exceeded the maximum allowed number of login attempts. In addition to your username and password you now also have to pass the CAPTCHA test" but when I re-entered my name and password and did the CAPTCHA test I was told that my details were invalid, but thankfully after 24 hours I was able to log in again without any problem, so it really is a bit of a mystery.
Society Member
Boatbuilder
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Famous 5, Secret Seven, Five Findouters

Post by Boatbuilder »

I would think that it may have been something to do with the cookies on your computer, Monique. Did you actually get the message about not being able to log-in for 24 hours only after using the Captcha?

After my earlier post, I remembered about the odd problem I get myself on my own forum which reminded me somewhat of your problem.

Occasionally when I try to go into my Administration Control Panel (ACP), I get the message 'You aren't authorized to access this', even though I know the log-in used was correct (It auto-fills).

It is necessary for me to log in to the ACP separately, even though I'm logged into the forum itself, just as an added level of security. However, the above problem tends to arise if I have been logged into the forum for quite some time, days not hours, without logging into the ACP during that time, which does happen if I have no reason to access the ACP.

I see this as a conflict in the board cookies and to overcome the problem, I have to log out of the forum completely and start again by logging back into the forum then the ACP.

If you are moving from the forum to the Society pages, it might be prudent for you to right-click the EB banner, or whatever link you are using, and choose to open the link in a new Private Window. This would then give you a completely new set of cookies solely for the Society pages which would be deleted when you close the private window down and your forum cookies would still remain intact in the normal browser window. I'm not saying this is the complete answer to the problem, but it may help in alleviating the issue in future.

How often do you delete all your cookies in the normal browser? I know this would mean you having to log in to this and other websites where you have to do so, again, but clearing out the cache and cookies occasionally, maybe once a week, can help with such issues.
"You can't change history as that won't change the future"

John's Pictures of Suffolk - https://suffolk-world.com/

Society Member
Boodi 2
Favourite book/series: The Five Find-outers, The Six Cousins
Favourite character: Ern

Post by Boodi 2 »

Thanks John! I think you may have hit the nail on the head with regard to a conflict with the board cookies, as that makes perfect sense and I have to admit that I rarely delete cookies on my computer but will do so now. I did not get a message about being unable to log-in for 24 hours, merely that access was denied as my details were invalid and I did not attempt any further log-in for 24 hours, hence the reference. After the earlier incident I had taken to logging out before visiting the society pages and then logging back in again when I returned to the forums, but as I mentioned, the latest incident was triggered by clicking on "view topic" link.
Society Member