How do I cancel my membership on here ?

Questions? Comments? Suggestions? Here's where to go!
Nigel D
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: Dick

How do I cancel my membership on here ?

Post by Nigel D »

Been trying to work out how to cancel my membership ? Any pointers please ?

Thanks

Nigel
Boatbuilder
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Famous 5, Secret Seven, Five Findouters

Re: How do I cancel my membership on here ?

Post by Boatbuilder »

I would guess that by sending a request by PM to either Tony or Anita they can delete your account. That's how it would work on my own forum which uses the same forum software. As there is no commitment on here surely you can just 'not log on' if you don't wish to use it. :?
"You can't change history as that won't change the future"

John's Pictures of Suffolk - https://suffolk-world.com/

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Yes, Tony or I would be able to deactivate your account if you sent us a PM about it, Nigel D. However, it's something we've only ever done once or twice (in almost fourteen years) as it's a pity to say a permanent goodbye to forumites. As Boatbuilder said, it may be preferable to remain registered so you could post again at any time in the future if you wished.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

May we ask why you want your membership deleted? :? :(
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

It isn't really a membership per se. To post, one has to register (for obvious reasons) together with an email address for verification that it is a real person. Surely, if for one reason or another someone doesn't want to post any longer, then simply stop logging in!

Registered subscribers to my own forum are not allowed to cancel their registrations except under very particular circumstances. Once posts are made they remain and belong to the forum and its archives. I certainly wouldn't deactivate someone (or remove posts) just because someone had changed their mind.
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Deactivating an account doesn't remove anything that has already been posted. It just prevents further posts being made.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Its a shame you want to cancel your 'membership' - hope it wasn't anything anyone said? :-(
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Boatbuilder
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Famous 5, Secret Seven, Five Findouters

Post by Boatbuilder »

Moonraker wrote:It isn't really a membership per se. To post, one has to register (for obvious reasons) together with an email address for verification that it is a real person. Surely, if for one reason or another someone doesn't want to post any longer, then simply stop logging in!

Registered subscribers to my own forum are not allowed to cancel their registrations except under very particular circumstances. Once posts are made they remain and belong to the forum and its archives. I certainly wouldn't deactivate someone (or remove posts) just because someone had changed their mind.
I would think with the new data laws if somebody specifically requested to be deleted then you would have to comply with their wishes as they would effectively be requesting any data you hold about them to be removed. There has been plenty mentioned about this sort of thing where Facebook and Twitter are concerned.

However, with the phpBB forums, I don't know which you use or if others are the same, you can delete a member and retain their posts at the same time. In doing so you will have deleted any personal data (email address, DOB, etc) that was held in the database. I suppose if they have posted personal data on the open forum itself which they may wish removed, you may also be required to remove that if so requested, although depending on the forum's settings they may be able to edit out any of that themselves before making the request to have their membership deleted - something you would be able to do on this forum.

I certainly would not stop anybody making a request for their account to be deleted, although I would retain their posts, as to delete them could affect the flow of the topics. Any personal information in them I would also remove but only if specifically requested, and that would be pointed out within the appropriate post by an admin note.
"You can't change history as that won't change the future"

John's Pictures of Suffolk - https://suffolk-world.com/

Society Member
Jack400
Favourite book/series: Famous Five / Five Find-Outers

Post by Jack400 »

Nigel D wrote:Been trying to work out how to cancel my membership? Any pointers please ?
Why not just stop posting and not log on anymore? It's not as though you have to pay a subscription and need to cancel a direct debit or standing order. If you subscribe to the journal then stop paying- a courtesy email (I guess you've kind of sent one ) would suffice. If you've put personal information in a post edit that info- but most of your posts were in the "quiz" area- not particularly revealing of private data?I'm always sorry when people leave- well technically nearly always- but you're ok... :wink:
Society Member
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

I think Nigel wants to cancel his subscription of the journal but does not know how. This is the only sensible deduction. It doesn’t make sense if he wants to cancel the forum registration! He can just not log on!
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

When the subscription runs out, you just don't pay. That's all there is to it! No one can realistically expect a refund, surely?! :-D :lol:
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

I would think it's up to Nigel whether or not he wants to share publicly why he wants to cancel his membership. I'd be sorry to see you go too, Nigel, but it's your choice of course.

I would guess "cancel my membership on here" means to have one's forum account deleted or deactivated — being an Enid Blyton Society member (i.e. paying for a Journal subscription) is of course different from being a member of the online forums. But I assume Nigel will clarify by getting in touch with Tony or Anita as Anita has suggested.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)