List of short stories

Questions? Comments? Suggestions? Here's where to go!
chloe1

List of short stories

Post by chloe1 »

I may have dreamt this but I thought the website had a list of all the short stories Enid is known to have written and underneath was the publications they have appeared in - as opposed to clicking on the book and seeing the contents if that makes sense.

I cant find the link anywhere - did I dream it or does it exist?
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Re: List of short stories

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Have a look in the Cave of Books, you may have seen the links in there. :)

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

chloe1 wrote:I thought the website had a list of all the short stories Enid is known to have written and underneath was the publications they have appeared in - as opposed to clicking on the book and seeing the contents...
I don't think we have a list like that of the short stories, though it would be useful for seeing how many unique short stories Enid Blyton wrote - and when.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
chloe1

Post by chloe1 »

It really would be useful.

Can I please clarify - if a short story has a title underneath it - is this where it was first published?
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

No Chloe, there is no list of short stories as such, though they are all listed in the relevant place in the Cave which should contain every 'known' short story that Enid wrote. I tend to use the search facility in the Cave which is really useful if you can't remember the full title as just putting one word in will bring up all the stories with that word in the title.

A large majority of short stories were originally written for either Sunny Stories or Teachers World and I have indexes for both on my computer, but there were also stories written specially for books, so we are probably talking about somewhere around 5000 short stories in total.

Underneath a short story is where it was previously published, but not necessarily originally published.
For example if you look at a Pitkin Pleasure Book it will tell you that it was taken from a News Chronicle Book:-
http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/book ... er+Stories" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You will need to go back to that if you want to see where a story originally appeared:-
http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/book ... Book+No.+3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
chloe1

Post by chloe1 »

Thanks Tony thats really helpful.
7upromana01
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George, Julian, Anne, Timmy

Post by 7upromana01 »

Chloe, I have found a website that says how many short stories Enid had written. It's http://www.enidblyton.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Abi.

Still trialling other writers, but will eventually go back to reading a bit of Blyton! Just too many books...

Occasionally will pop in! xx
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I've noticed a few of the short stories are almost identical. I can't think of any examples off the top of my head, but I think there's a couple along the theme of a child helping an animal and it remembering the kindness and rescuing the child at a later date. The name of the child, the type of animal it helps and the other circumstances are different, but the essence of the story is the same.

That's not a criticism, just an observation. To be able to come up with over 400 unique story lines I would imagine is almost impossible.
Society Member
chloe1

Post by chloe1 »

Thanks everyone. I think the short stories are even more difficult to list and categorise than the novels as she wrote so many for so many different publications and books. Katherine I often wonder if some of the similer ones have been changed by publishers for their usual daft reasons and it is actually the same story but our Enid definately repeat herself especially later in life I would imagine. But as you say the incredible amount she put out more than makes up for the stories feeling familier from time to time.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Katharine wrote:I've noticed a few of the short stories are almost identical. I can't think of any examples off the top of my head, but I think there's a couple along the theme of a child helping an animal and it remembering the kindness and rescuing the child at a later date. The name of the child, the type of animal it helps and the other circumstances are different, but the essence of the story is the same.
Enid Blyton did tend to reuse themes, with variations. I suppose I'm a bit of a Blyton anorak but I find it interesting to compare similar stories and see how things were reworked.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

It's only really been as an adult that I've realised that some stories are pretty much the same one reworked. I think it's quite likely the average child wouldn't make a connection. It's a good way of getting a particular message such as kindness to animals across. I'm sure a child would absorb the message much easier if it is presented in a number of different stories rather than having the same one repeated.
Society Member
Tony Summerfield

7upromana01 wrote:Chloe, I have found a website that says how many short stories Enid had written. It's http://www.enidblyton.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I hate to tell you this Abi, but the details that you have found here are taken straight from the Cave of Books on our site - as it says if you read the bit above the details! :lol:
7upromana01
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George, Julian, Anne, Timmy

Post by 7upromana01 »

Keith has taken the society's info from us!!!
Abi.

Still trialling other writers, but will eventually go back to reading a bit of Blyton! Just too many books...

Occasionally will pop in! xx
Tony Summerfield

He has indeed, but he did ask first - remember he is also our webmaster too, so it is actually our 'sister' site.
chloe1

Post by chloe1 »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:Enid Blyton did tend to reuse themes, with variations. I suppose I'm a bit of a Blyton anorak but I find it interesting to compare similar stories and see how things were reworked.
Anita your anorak tendencies are very useful indeed. It must be lovely to remember enough to be able to trace patterns and ideas in her work. I know a good deal more than the average but I find yours and Tonys depth of knowledge staggering.