birthday cards

Questions? Comments? Suggestions? Here's where to go!
Aunt Fanny
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George

birthday cards

Post by Aunt Fanny »

There are 4 birthday cards --Birns--on ebay. The seller thinks verses may be Blyton ,but they do not ring true to me. I have a few cards bearing her rhymes which just seem very different--also did Enid ever use the apostrophe for --"e"d ? I am interested to know what others think----? :? :? :?:
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Re: birthday cards

Post by Fiona1986 »

Just had a quick look at the "Blyton" cards you mentioned...... the verses don't sound at all like Blyton to me.... I've seen some short verses she has written in her magazine annuals and so on, but I've never read any card verses she wrote. She may have addopted a different style for the card market......
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Aunt Fanny

Post by Aunt Fanny »

Thanks Fiona--yes mine are pretty sentimental/ flowery but not quite so "trite"--would be interested to hear Tony's expert opinion --were the cards "logged" ? :?:
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I think it is a ridiculous claim that these cards might have been written by Enid Blyton, I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole! It is simply a ploy by the seller to try and get a good price and it always looks impressive when sellers say they have researched things thoroughly!

If you want to buy cards that are written by Enid Blyton make sure that they have her name on or leave them well alone.
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I'm afraid I can't find them to take a look. Can anyone tell me what is the best guide words to put in. I've been putting in Enid Blyton and then cards. :?

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Just go into ebay, click on advanced search, put blyton cards into the box and click on search and you should be there.
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Thanks, Tony. I've noticed that Advanced Search button before :oops:

I couldn't see Enid Blyton's name on them at all. But as for the little cards themselves, I wonder if they are from the era they state?

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

I always search through advanced search it is much quicker and easier!

I have some 1920s Birns Cards in our archives section (Secret Passage), but they have Enid's name credited. I also have four more which are not credited to her but they come from a box of Enid's own possessions, so I know they are hers. They are illustrated by Phyllis Chase. If I have time to spare I will put them up here.

As well as this I have a number of credited cards done for Sharps, some of which I have used in Journals.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Thanks Tony, like Julie, I'd not noticed the advanced search button either. I'd put in Birns - cards - birthday - Blyton; all to no avail! It makes life so much easier when people provide links in posts!
Society Member
Aunt Fanny

Post by Aunt Fanny »

Sorry if I did not put in links--some of us oldies are not very good at that sort of thing.
:| :
Thanks Tony--if you have time would love to see the Phllis Chase illustrations. :)
Moonraker wrote:(It makes life so much easier when people provide links in posts!)
Timmy-the-dog
Favourite book/series: Castle of Adventure
Favourite character: Me!!

Post by Timmy-the-dog »

Moonraker wrote:Thanks Tony, like Julie, I'd not noticed the advanced search button either. I'd put in Birns - cards - birthday - Blyton; all to no avail! It makes life so much easier when people provide links in posts!
Just put Blyton cards in the normal find box - up they come
I've got some Blyton originals by Birn Brothers too - don't think these are by Enid - verses don't seem to "scan" right for me
cheers
Timmy
woof,woof!!
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

They are nice cards but I would not be inclined to assume that the verses were written by Blyton on the evidence the seller provides. I too think its just a ploy. Mind you they are quite cheap as nobody has yet bid on them so if you have spare cash it might just be worth while. :lol: Here is the link.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CIRCA-1930-CHILDR ... 240%3A1318" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I would agree that these verses don't seem to scan in a Blyton-like way. they don't really rhyme well either: I think Enid would have found better rhymes and was usually less flowery. Nice fronts though: better than the verses! 8)

The pictures on the front, judging by the style and the clothes, look more like mid to late thirties to me, or even mid 1940's, rather than the early 30's. :?
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

Enid would never write such clunking rhymes, she was a much better poet than that. In my opinion her best verses rival A A Milne or Stevenson's Child's Garden of Verses.

Kate
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member