Loading Error

Questions? Comments? Suggestions? Here's where to go!
Philip Mannering
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure Series and Family Novels
Favourite character: Fatty and Jack Trent.

Loading Error

Post by Philip Mannering »

One thing is annoying me very much: I cannot see the latest posts made in topic which has long posts - for example 'Adventure series Readathon'. Not only that thread, but all others which, at the end of the pages, have long posts (example: 'EB Day 2008.') I think it may as well have been started because of my "charming" very slow internet. But I couldn't resist if anyone else had the same problem; that of pages not loading properly and finishing at an irrelevant post. Or am I alone? :?
"A holiday — a mystery — an adventure — and a happy ending for dear old Barney!" said Roger. "What more could anyone want?"
"An ice cream," said Snubby promptly. "Who's coming to buy one?" The Rubadub Mystery
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Re: Loading Error

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

No, you're not alone, Philip, as my lap top, suffers just the same. Sometimes the Enid Blyton banner does no compelely load and I get half of the banner. Same as poor Enid on the home page, I get half of her lovely face.

I'm also still getting this pale grey forums page, which doesn't let me do anything at all. Unfortunately, I've only encountered these problems, since the site was changed over. :(

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

Julie2owlsdene wrote:I'm also still getting this pale grey forums page, which doesn't let me do anything at all. Unfortunately, I've only encountered these problems, since the site was changed over. :(
I only encountered the grey forums problems when I'm downloading something on uTorrent or even directly from Firefox. It also happens when my antivirus downloads updates, etc. Do you have any programs on your laptop which requires downloading from the internet? It can often interfere with your web-browsing.

Society Member
Philip Mannering

It's getting worse - now even the Forums' index pages are not loading properly! :evil: For instance, if you click on one forum, say Books, only half the topics are displayed and then the page comes to an end (you cannot scroll any more.)

*Goes off muttering.*
"A holiday — a mystery — an adventure — and a happy ending for dear old Barney!" said Roger. "What more could anyone want?"
"An ice cream," said Snubby promptly. "Who's coming to buy one?" The Rubadub Mystery
Keith Robinson
Site Administrator

Post by Keith Robinson »

Can you supply more information for me? What browser are you using, and what version? If it's Internet Explorer, go to Help > About Internet Explorer and tell me what version number it is.

Have you tried using a different browser? It MIGHT help if you try a different one, like http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

However, I've also read about the exact same problem (and even shows a screenshot) where different browsers are being used, with the same problem on each. This tells me that the issue is not browser-related at all, but perhaps related to a firewall or anti-virus software. So again, you need to investigate a couple of things. Are you using Norton or AVG or Kapersky or any of those anti-virus programs?

Finding common factors is the key to figuring out the issue.

If the problem is related to an anti-virus problem, it will be solved by disabling the program, even temporarily just to test it. And I think you'll be very surprised by how much quicker your computer will be too. You may be on slow internet connections, but a slow internet connection AND an anti-virus... now that would be slow!!
Philip Mannering

Keith, I primarily use Firefox 3.0, and sometimes rarely when the browser does not work I switch on to Internet Explorer 7. I'm afraid it's the same slow speed with both browsers. No, I don't have a firewall or anti-virus program. So the problem isn't that, I'm afraid. I think - I'm almost sure - that it's because of a deathly slow connection. Ah well.