Is Having the Guestbook Good?

Questions? Comments? Suggestions? Here's where to go!
Moonraker

Re: Is Having the Guestbook Good?

Post by Moonraker »

Bannerman65 wrote:
Also, I did create a General Natter Room (Chat room) in the General Natter Forum, specifically for random and off topic chatting. But it's hardly being used for random/off topic chatting. :(
Yes, I noticed that too, Bannerman. I did a similar thing ages ago and created a thread called Up The Garden Path for similar reasons. That fizzled out in the undergrowth too. I guess much of the off topic ramblings are triggered by something in a particular post on a certain thread, and it is easier to just click on reply to add one's thoughts than to search for the Chat Room/Garden Path threads.

I rather like it when topics wander, so I am not too bothered about it. Like you, though, I think the posts that are merely chat-like conversations would be better in a dedicated thread.

In the end though, forums tend to evolve naturally, which is quite possibly a good thing.
Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Bannerman65 wrote: Over the last 34 years though, I have encountered a fair number of Australians, who do represent the humanities' worse qualities. Although the same can be said for other countries, These qualities seem to be more prevailant in Australia.

:(
I have met a fair number of obnoxious Aussies... and an equal number of extremely nice ones too so I guess every nation produces good and bad. If you dont really like Australians bannerman, how come you have stayed so long? The lifestyle maybe?
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Bannerman65

Post by Bannerman65 »

Lucky Star wrote:
Bannerman65 wrote: Over the last 34 years though, I have encountered a fair number of Australians, who do represent the humanities' worse qualities. Although the same can be said for other countries, These qualities seem to be more prevailant in Australia.

:(
I have met a fair number of obnoxious Aussies... and an equal number of extremely nice ones too so I guess every nation produces good and bad. If you dont really like Australians bannerman, how come you have stayed so long? The lifestyle maybe?
Lucky Star,

I stay, because I don't have the money to leave. Disability (Invalid) Pension doesn't really cover the costs of living, much less anything else. Yet any attempts to have the Australian Government increase the pensions to a higher level, are refused, or ignored. The only reason we now get a Utilities allowance, is because someone once stood up, and asked the Government, how anyone can live on $AUD250 per week.

We could go out and work, but we get penalized, financially. If we earn over $AUD64 per week, we find that money is being taken out of our pension. If we earn more than the tax free threshold, we also get taxed at the applicable rate.

Working full time would enable me to earn more money. But if I went back to Sheffield after say, 5 years, I would be competing against those who have over 20 years worth of experience. Not to mention them having college/university qualifications. I'd be lucky not to end up in a dead end job somewhere, that pays the same as the Australian Disability Pension.
Petermax

Post by Petermax »

Would the grass necessarily be greener back in the UK? Wonderful country as the U.K is, there are so many frustrations and dangers these days. I have relatives in Queensland who emigrated to Australia back in 1966, having grown tired of the yobbos in Fareham. They should see it now!

One must ask if Sheffield would have any appeal 34 years on? Much of the heavy industry has gone but the city does boast a fine tram system, as good as any in Europe. A long absence from a hometown will surely erase any familiarity with the place. For all its faults, Australia is probably a luckier country than most.

Now, I had better practice what I preach and attempt to veer back on topic. As regards the Guestbook, I vote for its retention, it allows casual visitors immediate interaction with the E.B.S website pending perhaps later participation in the forums and maybe E.B.S membership itself.
Bannerman65

Post by Bannerman65 »

Petermax,

Although there will be a lot of changes, Sheffield still remains the city of my birth. And therefore will always be home.

I also vote to keep the Guestbook.