hello everybody

Questions? Comments? Suggestions? Here's where to go!
styless

hello everybody

Post by styless »

I am new to this so I hope this is the right place to put my post but I wanted to ask a question of you. I am collecting the dean and sons series for my daughter and I was wondering if anyone knew if all of the book in this series had dust covers? Some seam to and some don't. I would prefer to collect them with if possible but do not know if they all had them originally. I would really appreciate any insight you have.
Many thanks michelle
Julian
Favourite book/series: Six Bad Boys/Famous Five/St Clare's/Wishing Chair
Favourite character: Julian/Janet/Carlotta

Re: hello everybody

Post by Julian »

Hi Michelle and welcome. I own quite a few of the Dean books from the 90's and all of them are without dustwrappers :) I haven't really seen any with a dustwrapper.

And that's the right forum :wink: :D
  • ♥♣ Møh@mð Hä§åÑ♥♣
Thanks to Nigel for my avatar! :)
styless

Post by styless »

Hello Julian and thank you for your reply. I am actually collecting the earlier collection published through the 50's 60's and 70's I think it is by Dean and Sons. I don't know if the Dean collection was a later follow on but some of the books I already have from this collection have dust covers. Glad I got the right place for the question! :)
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Welcome, Michelle. Tony Summerfield wrote an article on "Deans in Dustwrappers" for the Enid Blyton Society Journal (Number 10.) He says in his article that there were 48 titles in the first batch of Dean&Son books, published between 1963 and 1974. The first 27 books were issued in dustwrappers but 10 of those had the wrapper changed around 1970, so there are 37 in total to collect in dustwrappers. If you look at a copy which has the 48 titles listed on the back, you can see the names of the first 27 books.

My own Dean&Son collection dates mainly from 1974 - 1976 and almost all the books have laminated picture boards. Between 1987 and 1992 the whole series was republished in a new format and a further 53 titles were added. That's probably the series Julian is familiar with.

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
styless

Post by styless »

Thankyou so much Anita that makes it a lot clearer for me I have a book with all of them listed so I now know what to expect, Many thanks Michelle
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

At present in the Book Listing, the Dean's Rewards are listed all over the place and if you stick 'Dean's Rewards' into search you simply get the 8 unique titles. What I will do to make it easier is list them all together. Obviously this will mean some books appearing in two different places, but I think that it will make it much easier for collectors if I do this.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Sounds good to me! Thanks, Tony. I noticed that yesterday when I consulted the Book Listing hoping to provide a link to a list of Deans Rewards titles, but wasn't able to do so!

Anita

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

If you stick Dean's Reward into search it will now come up with all 48 books in the earlier series - I may add to it later to get the 90s series in there as well. Not wholly satisfactory from my point of view as it is in the Short Story Books section and of course it is a complete mixture of books with both character books and full-length novels, but it is nice to have them together as a series.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Cheers! I think it's useful to have them listed together. For anyone following this thread, here's the link:

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/auth ... ans+reward" target="_blank

Tony explains in his article why numbers 1 and 2 are listed after numbers 3 - 8. The books numbered 3 - 8 were actually issued first, followed by Storytime Book and Happy Hours Story Book. At that time none of the books were numbered. However, when Dean&Son did start numbering them later on, the first six titles became 3 - 8 and Storytime Book and Happy Hours Story Book became 1 and 2.

Anita

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Thanks Anita for giving the explanation again, and providing the link! Thanks also to Tony for finding the time to do this extra work!
Society Member