The Mystery of the Strange Messages

Questions? Comments? Suggestions? Here's where to go!
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Re: The Mystery of the Strange Messages

Post by Ming »

Moonraker wrote:My great friend and ally from Bangladesh also qualifies on both counts.
I'm your ally? How cool!

Unable to find a good picture of an ally, I thought I'll represent my country with a picture of her competitive Royal Bengal Tiger!

Society Member
Almas
Favourite book/series: Six Bad Boys/Adventure/Famous Five/ Find-Outers
Favourite character: Fatty (I have a crush on him!!)

Post by Almas »

Oooooh! The tiger is a beauty, Ming. The eyes look so fierce. I would be scared-stiff even to go near it!

Almas
Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.

When once the itch of literature comes over a man, nothing can cure it but the scratching of a pen.
Ming

Post by Ming »

How I'd love to see you shuddering in fear, Almas! :lol:

I was pretty scared myself. :oops:

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Great pic Ming I love Tigers. Are they protected in Bangladesh? Their numbers are dwindling worldwide which is a terrible shame.

Moonraker you are a bit of a legend yourself in these parts, its an honour to know you and all the other wonderful people who post here. The best part of my day is logging on here, reading all the great chatter that has taken place over the previous 24 hours and adding my tuppence worth. :D
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Ming

Post by Ming »

Lucky Star wrote:Great pic Ming I love Tigers. Are they protected in Bangladesh? Their numbers are dwindling worldwide which is a terrible shame.
Yeah, that's a shame. As far as I know, most of the tigers available are in the Sunderbans, and it is certainly a home for the tigers! I think I read somewhere on the internet that around 400 tigers roam around freely, and certainly they are protected in other "foresty" areas. I don't wonder our cricket team are nicknamed "The Tigers". (Not really a good name for the recent results, huh?)

One thing I really hate about the media - whenever you see any documentaries on the Sunderbans or the Bengal Tigers, they say "India's Sunderbans" - when more than half of the largest mangrove forest in world is in Bangladesh!! :roll: Oh, come on, editors, we're a completely different nation - we're not India, Bangladesh and Pakistan joined together as India was we were in the last century!! :roll:

Guilty of being off-topic :roll:

Society Member
Susie

Post by Susie »

I had Bengal tea it was delicious, do you ever drink it Ming?
Do you find it's like having a whole load of delicious spices in your mouth?
There is always something else new to learn.
Matthew Roberts
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers
Favourite character: Fatty and George

Post by Matthew Roberts »

I have fixed the problem with the links. The changes I made were overwritten when I updated the forums the other day, which is why they reverted back to replacing the current page. It isn't an ideal fix because the ideal fix doesn't exist yet, but it should work for most links.

I have also managed to come up with a solution for the large images that were being cropped and half hidden. They are resized now to fit the topic. Again it is not perfect: it would be better if you could click on the resized version to bring up the full size picture in a new tab or window.

Ming, are you still getting that odd display? Is anyone else experiencing anything like this?
Almas
Favourite book/series: Six Bad Boys/Adventure/Famous Five/ Find-Outers
Favourite character: Fatty (I have a crush on him!!)

Post by Almas »

Everything's fine with me, Matthew only that I have to log in each time, I visit the forums although I have checked the box where it says to log in automatically on each visit. And main page of the forum loads sooooo slowly!

Is it my computer's fault?

Almas
Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.

When once the itch of literature comes over a man, nothing can cure it but the scratching of a pen.
Ming

Post by Ming »

Matthew Roberts wrote:Ming, are you still getting that odd display? Is anyone else experiencing anything like this?
Matt, the odd display is now gone, thanks. I spent a LONG time refreshing and connecting and disconnecting, and it was all right yesterday. :)

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Matthew Roberts wrote:I have fixed the problem with the links. The changes I made were overwritten when I updated the forums the other day, which is why they reverted back to replacing the current page. It isn't an ideal fix because the ideal fix doesn't exist yet, but it should work for most links.
Still replacing the current page for me, Matt. Still, it's good to know it's not my computer at fault!

Good luck with the fixing! I notice you were posting at 3.03 am! [Yawns]

Footnote: I notice that links in a post of Ming's open in a new tab, so maybe you're winning the battle, Matt!
Society Member
Matthew Roberts
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers
Favourite character: Fatty and George

Post by Matthew Roberts »

I have had to remove the fix for the links. For some reason that I can't fathom, it keeps adding rel="external" to all links when posted (as in your latest post in the Beatles thread, Nigel). Until I can find a better fix, you'll have to use the tab features in Firefox and IE7. Sorry!

Almas, I am not quite sure why you're having to log in each time. Try clearing all your internet files (especially cookies) and see if that helps. If not, let me know and I'll try to think of something else.
Ming

Post by Ming »

For some time after the new forums were installed, "target_blank" or something like that appeared after links. But they opened in new tabs/windows! :?

Society Member
Ming

Post by Ming »

Help! Whenever I try to view the Who Is Online page, I come up with this:

This had happened a few times recently, but went away after I refreshed. This time it doesn't seem to want to go. :?

Society Member