New Layout - Your Comments

Questions? Comments? Suggestions? Here's where to go!
Matthew Roberts
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers
Favourite character: Fatty and George

Re: New Layout - Your Comments

Post by Matthew Roberts »

The fix that I used to solve the problem of the large images being cut in half was affecting the avatars. :evil: I have fixed it now. I shall have to find another solution to the large pictures problem.

Robert, I am sorry you are still having problems. Which browser are you using? I think you said you used Microsoft Word -- did you mean Microsoft Internet Explorer? Microsoft Word is a word processing program. If you are Kitty could provide a screenshot, it would help me in trying to work out what is wrong.

To take a screenshot, hold down Ctrl and press PrtScrn (the "print screen" button on your keyboard), then open up an image editing program and paste the image into that. Save as a JPG and post here.
Keith Robinson
Site Administrator

Post by Keith Robinson »

I just had a lot of fun reading this entire thread -- I'm amazed how far behind I am with my reading! Anyway, a couple of things to mention:

Robert, assuming you're using Microsoft Internet Explorer, look at the top of the screen. See where it says File, Edit, View.... and Help? Pull down that Help menu and click on About Internet Explorer, and then it'll tell you what version you're using. Probably something like 6.0+. Even if you're using a different kind of browser, you can usually find the info in the same way -- but please tell us what browser it is if it's not Internet Explorer.

A screenshot would be great if you could get it though. I'm thinking that possibly your browser isn't checking to see if a page is new or not. Browsers should do this automatically, but sometimes they need help or a bit of a tweak in the settings area. I've been using Opera today and I found that even a brand new installation of a brand new version still doesn't refresh pages of my own admin -- until I press refresh manually. This is very odd behavior for a new browser!
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Yes, it is microsoft internet explorer as you say, 6.0.
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Susie

Post by Susie »

Robert Houghton wrote:Yes, it is microsoft internet explorer as you say, 6.0.
Download IE 7 it's much better. 8)
There is always something else new to learn.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Download Firefox - it's puts IE7 in the shade!

Society Member
Fiona D.
Favourite book/series: The Secret of Spiggy Holes; The Five Find Outers.
Favourite character: Barnaby

Post by Fiona D. »

Hi! Being new to the site, I can't really comment on the old one. I did log onto it when it was the warm reds and yes, it was homely. However, I really like the definition of the graphics at the top of the page. The wholesite also seems to work very efficiently so,well done, Matt!
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Lenoir »

Moonraker wrote:Download Firefox - it's puts IE7 in the shade!
Oh no! another spammer. :o

:wink:
Keith Robinson
Site Administrator

Post by Keith Robinson »

Me too, Lenoir! :D I thoroughly recommend Firefox over Internet Explorer, at least for security and feature reasons. Now, it's true to say that Firefox is a little slower loading pages than Explorer now -- the later versions of Firefox have slipped up a little. But I've done some tweaks and got it running faster again.

But even taking into account the marginally slower loading times, when you consider that IE lets every bit of spyware onto your computer while Firefox keeps them all out, this alone makes Firefox a better alternative. And spyware slows down the browser, so that speed comparison I was talking about above -- who knows, a fresh install of Firefox would probably knock spots off a spyware-ridden version of IE.

Gosh, you'd think I worked for Mozilla! But I don't. I'm just getting increasingly fed up with sloppy old Internet Explorer. IE doesn't interpret web code correctly either, but since IE is used by the majority, it means web designers must deliberately code incorrectly to make things work!!
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

What a thought, Keith! :shock:

By the way, I spotted a broken link. On the home page there is a link to register on the forums - and the URL for that is:

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/foru ... e=register

Now that we have the new forums, the URL is:

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/foru ... e=register

Who could imagine that just a simple word can make a link invalid!! :shock: If you are logged in, neither of the links work, but if you are not logged in, the second will work, and the first will take you to the home page.

Society Member
Keith Robinson
Site Administrator

Post by Keith Robinson »

Thank you, Ming! What would I do without you? Can I hire you as a troubleshooter for all my websites? I'd bet you'd find plenty of gaffs. Seriously, I appreciate you finding the errors and taking the time to tell me. I've fixed them now. :D
Ming

Post by Ming »

Oh sure, you can hire me as a troubleshooter! :lol:

What about the EB Day, Keith? :wink: I've already "said 'Jack Sparrow' backwards while walking upside down on [my] hands eating a sandwich through a ten foot straw." :wink:

Or rather, tried to.

Society Member
Keith Robinson
Site Administrator

Post by Keith Robinson »

Ah, but "tried" to isn't good enough. As Yoda said: "Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try."

But yes, I MUST get that done. I'm working on it bit by bit, sifting through pictures. The text part is easy, takes ten minutes, but editing the pictures and stuff... But I'm getting there. :-)
Ming

Post by Ming »

*muttering*

There is no try, there is no try, there is no try.....

Take your time Keith! Thought I'll prod you with a stick for a minute. :wink:

Society Member
peppermint peppy

Post by peppermint peppy »

Why can I locate the EBS IP/host (204.11.246.4)in Missoula/Montana/U.S.? That's really strange!Just imagined Keith is sitting in his little electricity sub-station in dead-end village. :lol:
EBS electricity sub-station Montana/U.S
Keith Robinson
Site Administrator

Post by Keith Robinson »

Tee hee! No, sorry to shatter your vision, but Missoula is just where the server is located. I'm nowhere near it. I don't sit in a little electricity sub-station in a dead end village, I sit in the little basement in my house... in a dead end village.

But seeing that aerial view is certainly a little strange. Enid Blyton and the mountains of Montana don't go together, do they? Now, if the server was located in a secret passage under some old castle ruins...