How annoying!!!!

Questions? Comments? Suggestions? Here's where to go!
Keith Robinson
Site Administrator

Re: How annoying!!!!

Post by Keith Robinson »

I'm no expert, Moonraker, but I've done a lot of research and EVERYWHERE I've read says that IE is the weakest as far as security goes. But there's an angle that nobody ever mentions, and that's the simple fact that IE is used by 80% of the population -- so if I was a hacker or spammer designing a bit of spyware, I'd design it to hack into IE and therefore do the most widespread damage.

That said, IE is a stinker for spyware. It's like a big magnet -- ooh look, some spyware just attached itself as I went by.

In terms of speed, there's a very good test study I read that says IE and Opera are the fastest browsers by far, with Firefox now lagging behind. Earlier versions of Firefox were faster, so the hype for Firefox was justified -- better security AND fast (although not faster). But now Firefox seems a little slower, although it's still the best for security. But consider this: These tests were done using fresh new installs uncluttered with spyware. Since IE picks up spyware so easily, it slows down after just a few weeks of unprotected use, so it effectively becomes slower than Firefox which, meanwhile, manages to stay clean and uncluttered. So technically IE is faster, but in practice Firefox probably wins through in the end.

Also, there are a few tweaks you can do the settings (type about:config into the address bar) that speeds it up. Worked for me!

Plus, Firefox does have many more features and skins and widgets. For me, designing sites that use cookies, I love the way I can view and delete individual cookies while I'm working. Plus, when I write code, in Firefox it actually works as it's supposed to work, as opposed to IE which interprets code a little sloppily. On the downside, fewer sites are designed with Firefox in mind so occasionally you find a site that's not laid out properly or doesn't quite work (because the code is interpreted slightly differently).

So yes, aside from a few small issues, I think Firefox is better by far. But if not Firefox, try Opera. Or Safari. In other words, shop around and decide for yourself! There's no problem having multiple browsers on your computer -- the only issue is that you have to choose one as a default, but that easily be changed.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Ming and I have just downloaded Safari. It's incredible!!!!!!!! Thanks, Keith! :D
Society Member
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

Yeah, we two are racing to see who has the most web browsers! :D

Society Member
Ming

Post by Ming »

One question, though, Keith. The font is very bold in Safari - how do I de-bold it? :?:

Society Member
Keith Robinson
Site Administrator

Post by Keith Robinson »

You can try going to Edit > Preferences, and on the Appearance tab adjust the smoothing to light. Honestly though, the smoothing is a little weird on Safari, not as clear as on Firefox. I do like the uncluttered feel but, aside from the novelty factor, it hasn't won me over yet. The skin is pretty ugly too.

I'll try it out a bit more when I have time to surf and play... :D
Ming

Post by Ming »

Thanks Keith - I tried the smoothing thing, and it's certainly lighter now, but not as clear as on IE or Firefox.

For me, the skin is pretty cool! :)

*Off to download Opera*

Society Member
Keith Robinson
Site Administrator

Post by Keith Robinson »

:lol:

Let me know how you get on with all the other browsers!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_web_browsers

There are way too many to try, but consider Avant and Konqueror, which are relatively popular compared to the others (but falling way short of Firefox). Avant, like others, uses the basic IE engine but with a better interface.
peppermint peppy

Post by peppermint peppy »

The only reason to use FF are the lots of Add-ons.E.g.you can modulate the Fox to behave like I.E or Opera etc.
So you can try out a lot of things if you develop software.
Some programs and applications run better on I.E than Firefox or Opera.
There's a reason for that.Keith told it yet.70-80% of people are using I.E!
But here's a nice example finally regarding the change from I.E to FF and/or the other way round.
Please ask a die-hard Mercedes fan to change marque e.g BMW.I think you would reap indignation only.
Ming

Post by Ming »

Keith Robinson wrote:Let me know how you get on with all the other browsers!
Just downloaded Opera (couldn't complete it last night - got disconnected!) and Avant. I tried the Konquerer site too - but I couldn't find out how to download! :oops:

So now I've got a load of browsers. Nigel described himself as "a glutton for web browsers", and I seem to be following suit! I've got Firefox, Internet Explorer 6 (how I wish I had Internet Express :wink: ), Safari, Avant and Opera. Good enough for a starter. I might try upgrading to Internet Explorer 7 - what's all this raving about??!

Hmmmm.... IE 6 I loathe; Firefox* I love; Safari looks great, but the font is very bold; Opera is fast, but some sites don't seem to load properly......!!!

*Much as I love Firefox I have one 'complaint'. I keep on installing themes, but neither of them work, except for one session only! Strange, this, never happened before. :|

Society Member
Jamay

Post by Jamay »

OOh fancy you could be known as the person with the biggest collection of Browsers. Your computer must be bursting at the seams!