Record Users on Line

Questions? Comments? Suggestions? Here's where to go!
Tony Summerfield

Record Users on Line

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I have just noticed that yesterday we had the record number of users online - 28. What is really strange is that it was at 4.58am - so there can't have been too many UK users at that time. And this whilst Ming was away!! :lol: :lol:
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Re: Record Users on Line

Post by Ming »

Tony Summerfield wrote: And this whilst Ming was away!! :lol: :lol:
Gosh! WHY was I away....! :roll:

I would have loved to see what was happening at that time! Maybe it was just a few registered users and mostly guests? Then I wouldn't have missed much. :D

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

They were probably mostly guests - there aren't many regular users on in the middle of the night - apart from one in Bangladesh! :roll: :roll:
Ming

Post by Ming »

[takes the hint and goes off to bed]

Society Member
Moose
Favourite book/series: Malory Towers
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Moose »

It was most likely a spambot invasion :). I had forty who suddenly turned up on EF the other day .. all bots, all the same IP address.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.
I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.
Time to die.

EF
Tony Summerfield

No, it does actually mean 28 different users. I have counted over 100 on admin all with the same IP address - but it only shows up as one guest in the users online section of the forums - when you see 6 guests there it does mean six different IP addresses. We often have 30 or 40 threads being checked at the same time by the one user.
Moose
Favourite book/series: Malory Towers
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Moose »

cool then :). For me they all show up as individual guests which means that we often seem to have twice the number of people online than we actually do ;). Maybe this site got linked to somewhere and a bunch of people came to check it out :)
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.
I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.
Time to die.

EF
Viking Star
Favourite book/series: Mystery, Adventure and Secret series.
Favourite character: Fatty, Mrs Hilton and Philip

Post by Viking Star »

All those guests just happened to turn up?

Hmmm. Sounds very queer to me!

I can't believe all those people just randomly turned up at the same time. Maybe a classroom or group of children over Ming's side of the world had a quiz, and had to come to the site to get an answer. Maybe a teacher was holding a computer class of some kind and told everyone to go to the EBS web site?

I guess we'll never know. :?:
Ming

Post by Ming »

Good HEAVENS! I just noticed that while I was online a couple of minutes back - 47 USERS WERE ONLINE! And I've seen that it was just me and 46 GUESTS! :shock: Oh well, at least I was online! ;)

I feel scared!

I took a screen shot of 26 or so GUESTS and me online just now (missed the 47 together :cry: ) - I'm posting it. I wonder what is so interesting in the Admin Announcements section?

Society Member
Ming

Post by Ming »

Here it is. I wonder what's so interesting in Admin Announcements? And why all those guests are trying to post messages? :?

I can quite clearly see it on my saved file - and it says it's 700 pixels wide - but it look tiny to me when I click on the pic and zoom it up! Can anyone see it nice and big? I'm afraid Linux makes all text and images smaller than it is! :roll:

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

I have just checked it out in admin and 13 of them were posting a message!! This isn't possible for guests, so I am not sure what is happening and Matt seems to have completely disppeared!
Ming

Post by Ming »

They were probably trying to post but then couldn't - we know guests can't post messages.

I suddenly get the feeling that as I linked to the Society in Enid's "Space", people there are checking it out. Seems unlikely, though.

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

I have just put a trace on them in admin, where I can check the IP addresses and they are all coming from yahoo.net. I am not sure quite what is happening, but I don't think any of them are genuine people. I suspect that several automatic spammers are trying to get in, I have removed about 100 trying to register in the last week alone - one even came up on today's birthdays until I zapped him! We are certainly under attack at the moment and I am not sure why as we have had almost no problem at all over the past two years.

Now that nobody can register without being approved first, my email inbox gets inundated daily!
Ming

Post by Ming »

Tony Summerfield wrote:they are all coming from yahoo.net.
How you can figure all this out - it's fascinating.

By the way, if it's not much bother, what am I cming from? I'm afraid I have no idea. Google, probably? (if I've got the idea right!)

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Server not known! :lol: :lol: