Spammers

Questions? Comments? Suggestions? Here's where to go!
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Spammers

Post by Ming »

Okay, what's with the spammers? Any idea why they keep appearing? And are these spammers automatic programs or 'real' people? I can see the latest spammer online!!

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Yes, there has been an influx of these at present. The ones that appear here are only the tip of the iceberg. Tony deletes most of them as they register.

I know that he and Keith are on the case, and it should be sorted out soon.

The important thing is to totally ignore them. The links shouldn't be opened, amongst other things, they could contain viruses.

Goodness knows what Julian would say.
Society Member
Mollybob
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure, Five On a Treasure Island
Favourite character: Philip, George

Post by Mollybob »

There were a few rather tasteless messages when you were all at the Enid Blyton Day. You'd think spammers would have the decency to steer clear of a board like this, which may also be visited by children, but obviously not :x
Fortunately Keith dealt with them promptly in Tony's absence :-)
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

moonraker wrote:Goodness knows what Julian would say.
Let alone Aunt Fanny!

Yes, I am sure that a number of our regulars are aware that we have a real problem at the moment, but it is something that I have to leave to the computer whizz kids to sort out, (I'm sure when they wrote 'Computers for Dummies' they had me in mind) and I can only endorse moonraker's comments - If in doubt, don't open any links and you should be okay.

Up to now anyone has been able to register and post and that is the way I always wanted it to be, but sadly it looks as if we may have to use a vetting process in future, similar to that already used by other websites.