Problems with quotation marks

Questions? Comments? Suggestions? Here's where to go!
Yan

Problems with quotation marks

Post by Yan »

Hello there,

I think it happened after the forum was off: Suddenly the quotation marks and apostrophes in my postings have changed into strange symbol-combinations.

Please compare my last posting in this thread:
http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/foru ... php?t=1181

Can you see? Or is it just a mistake on my computer?
:?:
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Hello Yan,

No, it wasn't just your computer I could see it too! I went into your profile and saw that you had 'no' marked for always allow HTML, so I have changed that to 'yes' and hopefully that should fix the problem for any future posts.
Yan

Post by Yan »

Tony Summerfield wrote: I went into your profile and saw that you had 'no' marked for always allow HTML, so I have changed that to 'yes' and hopefully that should fix the problem for any future posts.
I just went into my profile. The HTML option was still marked ´no´. So I changed it by myself.
Thank you very much, Tony :)
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I am always doing that Yan, I changed it and forgot to click on update!! But you should be okay now.
Matthew Roberts
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers
Favourite character: Fatty and George

Post by Matthew Roberts »

I am not sure about that, Tony. I don't think enabling HTML will fix the problem. I would guess it has something to do with the character encoding or something like that (especially considering we have just switched servers).

Keith?
Keith Robinson
Site Administrator

Post by Keith Robinson »

Yes, Matt's right -- those strange apostrophes Yan is using are most likely found on a "foreign" keyboard (sorry, Yan!!). Unfortunately those are the types of apostrophes used in databases to avoid being mistaken for the standard single and double quotes (which would otherwise break commands and cause errors). So switching servers and exporting/importing everything has meant the system has had to automatically substitute the characters for their full codes.

But now that I'm aware of it, I'll see what I can do to switch them back via a search/replace of the database. Should be do-able once I figure out the different codes!

Out of interest, Yan -- are those apostrophes on your keyboard? Are they standard? Do you have any other styles? The ones most people use are ' and " -- single and double.
Last edited by Keith Robinson on 22 Mar 2007, 01:58, edited 1 time in total.
Yan

Post by Yan »

Keith Robinson wrote: Out of interest, Yan -- are those apostrophes on your keyboard? Are they standard? Do you have any other styles? The ones most people use are ' and " -- single and double.
Hi, Keith

Yes, those apostrophes are standard and they are on my keyboard. And I am using " " as quotation marks and ´ as apostrophe. But perhaps I should change and use ' as apostrophe.

But in this thread my quotation marks " " are still allright:
http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/foru ... 5&start=30
Keith Robinson
Site Administrator

Post by Keith Robinson »

Actually, yes, looking closer at your other posts (the ones that were messed up) it does appear that your apostrophes are fine:

"so don't try to follow me, any of you!"

As you said, it's the double quotes that were messed up. But in any case I'll look through and sort it out when I get a moment. The main thing is that any posts being submitted now are fine, and it's only those that were transferred across that got messed up -- during the export and re-import process. Easy to fix though. I'll let you know when I'm done. But don't worry about using your fancy apostrophe if you'd rather use that -- it works fine.
Yan

Post by Yan »

Keith Robinson wrote: I'll look through and sort it out when I get a moment.
No, please do not bother. I will do it by myself in the following evenings.
Thanks! :)
Keith Robinson
Site Administrator

Post by Keith Robinson »

No, honestly, it's no trouble!! I've done it now anyway -- it just took a couple of lines of code to run through the entire database. It would have taken you ages. I think I've got them all now, but let me know if you spot any odd ones.

This entire thread has of course been rendered nonsensical, because the odd quotes were changed here too!!! :)
Yan

Post by Yan »

Astounding, Keith 8)
Thanks a lot!