pictures

Questions? Comments? Suggestions? Here's where to go!
Nicky

pictures

Post by Nicky »

how do i place a picture in my posts.

Please help me

Nicky
George@Kirrin

Post by George@Kirrin »

Upload the picture into a host site, such as photobucket.com and then put the link with the img tags into your post.
Image The definitive '78 series nut.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Yes, I use Photobucket; it seems a pretty good site.

Alternatively, is you use Google, type in tuna, click on images, and loads of pictures come up. If you click on a picture, you will see a link at the top, "See Full-Size Image". Click on that, copy and paste the URL address from your address bar onto your post, with [img] and [/img] at each end. Provided the picture is reasonably small (say 300 pixels max), it will appear.

If the picture is too large, then you will make the topic page very wide. You can resize a picture with a program such as Microsoft Picture It, it's a bit complicated to explain, but it is very easy to do.
Society Member
Nicky

Post by Nicky »

thanks i will try it
Nicky

Post by Nicky »

it didnt work i tried it just came up with the URL in the [img][/img] it just came up like for example[img]www.123.com[/img]
Pure example

Nicky
peppermint peppy

Post by peppermint peppy »

Photobucket is a very slow site.Especially here.I think it's because of
the traffic it causes.
Does anybody know further image hosting services?
Last edited by peppermint peppy on 10 Mar 2007, 20:10, edited 1 time in total.
Kitty
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers/Malory Towers
Favourite character: Alicia, Fatty, Gwendoline

Post by Kitty »

I used imageshack.us after randomly googling, and knowing nothing about uploading pics. It was quite easy to use, and I'm not remotely techie!
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Nicky wrote:it didnt work i tried it just came up with the URL in the [img][/img] it just came up like for example[img]www.123.com[/img]
Pure example

Nicky
You need to click on the "see full size image". You then get the image, with a URL ending with .jpg, .gif and so on.

If you place [img] at the beginning and [/img] at the end of the following address, you should get a picture when you paste it into your reply.

http://www.sportsfish.com.au/pages/fish ... s/tuna.gif
Society Member
peppermint peppy

Post subject: Re: pictures

Post by peppermint peppy »

Kitty wrote:I used imageshack.us after randomly googling, and knowing nothing about uploading pics. It was quite easy to use, and I'm not remotely techie!
Thanks Kitty!I have also chosen "ImageHack" but it's very slowly.
Last edited by peppermint peppy on 10 Mar 2007, 20:03, edited 2 times in total.
Nicky

Post by Nicky »

[quote]You need to click on the "see full size image". You then get the image, with a URL ending with .jpg, .gif and so on. [/quote]

i did use full size image!!

Nicky
Keith Robinson
Site Administrator

Post by Keith Robinson »

Nicky wrote:it didnt work i tried it just came up with the URL in the [img][/img] it just came up like for example[img]www.123.com[/img]
Pure example
Part of your problem here is that you have the "Disable BBCode in this post" option checked. When you compose your message, uncheck that box (it should then remain unchecked forever). Your image can only be displayed if the BBCode is enabled. This is also why your quotes are not displaying properly (and other people seem to be having this problem too, it seems).
Moonraker wrote:Alternatively, is you use Google, type in tuna, click on images, and loads of pictures come up. If you click on a picture, you will see a link at the top, "See Full-Size Image". Click on that, copy and paste the URL address from your address bar onto your post...
Moonraker! I'm shocked! Taking pictures from the internet is one thing (I do it myself) but you should NEVER link to the image that's residing on the owner's server. If everyone did that, the owner's server bandwidth would soar. That's a no-no for anyone who hosts a website, very naughty indeed. Best to right-click and save the image to your computer, then upload it somewhere else -- otherwise it would be like people traipsing in and out of YOUR front door to look at a framed picture on your living room wall. :)
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

Keith Robinson wrote:Moonraker! I'm shocked! Taking pictures from the internet is one thing (I do it myself) but you should NEVER link to the image that's residing on the owner's server. If everyone did that, the owner's server bandwidth would soar. That's a no-no for anyone who hosts a website, very naughty indeed. Best to right-click and save the image to your computer, then upload it somewhere else -- otherwise it would be like people traipsing in and out of YOUR front door to look at a framed picture on your living room wall. :)
Quite a tirade! :wink: Is it wrong if I take a picture from... say, Google images, see full size image and paste it with the img tag? Guess it is, so perhaps I shouls stick to hosting it myself. :wink:

Society Member
Keith Robinson
Site Administrator

Post by Keith Robinson »

Well, you see, Google don't actually host these images; Google Images is just a search engine, so when it says "See full size image" they're just pointing you at the image that's hosted on the owner's website.

In some cases the owner might enjoy being listed in Google in ANY capacity, and getting this traffic to his site through images (rather than keywords) is a good thing... but I doubt they'll be very happy for others to use their bandwidth. It's quite cheeky, if you think about it; it's one thing to "steal" someone's image, but to use it willy-nilly while it's still in their possession...!

Besides, using the URL of the image leaves a very easy trail to follow -- so the website owner can easily find out who is using their images. It's not half as easy when you've made your own copy and uploaded it to your own space.

Another good reason to make your own copy is that the owner could, at any time, remove his image. And then your copy-pasted URL becomes useless.

So, for various reasons, it's best to host your own image somewhere.
Last edited by Keith Robinson on 10 Mar 2007, 17:27, edited 1 time in total.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I hang my head in utter shame. I had no idea that I was interfering with anyone's bandwidth. :cry:

Thank you for pointing this out, Keith. I will tread warily in the future.

BTW, does the same thing apply if I put a URL in a post (to display a web page) - or only if I use the link to show a picture?
Society Member
Keith Robinson
Site Administrator

Post by Keith Robinson »

Ah, now that's a totally different kettle of fish. Posting URLs to a site is always a good thing. In fact, you could argue that a URL to an image on someone's site is a good thing for the same reason, because it's a link and links are always good -- but generally speaking, links to a site are good, but links to specific images for the sole purpose of displaying that image on your own page is bad.