Derailed topics?

Questions? Comments? Suggestions? Here's where to go!
Aurélien
Favourite book/series: Book: The Boy Next Door / Series: Famous Five
Favourite character: Noddy

Re: Derailed topics?

Post by Aurélien »

Ming reminisced:
Looking back, I find most of my posts laughable! They seemed rather knowledgeable at the time of posting, though.
What you're describing, Ming, is a 'learning curve'. I know 'cos I'm w-a-a-ay back behind you on the same curve. And "laughable", no - more like :wink: lively / spritely.

‘Aurélien Arkadiusz’
Philip Mannering
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure Series and Family Novels
Favourite character: Fatty and Jack Trent.

Post by Philip Mannering »

Ming wrote:And to quote Tony, "Many Ming posts have flowed under the Blyton Bridge since that day." Looking back, I find most of my posts laughable! They seemed rather knowledgeable at the time of posting, though. :lol:
My posts are really laughable to me too, yet like you, I found them thoughtful when I first posted them. Sometimes I say, "I'll just have to delete, or at least edit, them. I'll just have to." Yet to date I haven't, since it's a lesson to me - growing up.
Aurélien wrote:What you're describing, Ming, is a 'learning curve'. I know 'cos I'm w-a-a-ay back behind you on the same curve. And "laughable", no - more like :wink: lively / spritely.

‘Aurélien Arkadiusz’

I love the sound of the word - learning curve! :D
"A holiday — a mystery — an adventure — and a happy ending for dear old Barney!" said Roger. "What more could anyone want?"
"An ice cream," said Snubby promptly. "Who's coming to buy one?" The Rubadub Mystery
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Philip Mannering wrote:
Moonraker wrote:I too am surprised that so many people register, then do not post, Julie. I shouldn't be, as I registered on a Harry Potter forum, then lost interest before I posted!
Then why register at all, if you know you aren't going to post?
Simple, old thing; when I registered I thought I would post! However, on closer inspection of the forum I decided it wasn't for me! Phil, have you never bought something, only to find it unsuitable and return it for a refund? :?
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Philip Mannering wrote:I still chuckle at some of my earlier posts - "was I really an idiot as all that?" I ask myself. Checking at my recent posts, it seems that I have grown up, but only a little!
Me too, old thing! By the way, you do seem very mature for your age, I'd love to see what you look like - how about a picture?
Society Member
Philip Mannering

Moonraker wrote:Phil, have you never bought something, only to find it unsuitable and return it for a refund? :?
No, to date it hasn't happened. I've seen it plenty of times though, it happens to my family members sometimes.
Moonraker wrote:By the way, you do seem very mature for your age, I'd love to see what you look like - how about a picture?
I'll see. Besides not knowing how to put a picture here, it also might not be private, so there a lot of cautions; I'll see.
"A holiday — a mystery — an adventure — and a happy ending for dear old Barney!" said Roger. "What more could anyone want?"
"An ice cream," said Snubby promptly. "Who's coming to buy one?" The Rubadub Mystery
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Philip Mannering wrote:
I'll see. Besides not knowing how to put a picture here, it also might not be private, so there a lot of cautions; I'll see.
I can't see why! After all, most of us appear on CCTV cameras many times a day. I'm not asking for your bank details or PIN numbers, Phil! Google my name in Google Images and you'll see what I look like! My old friend Tony has his picture as his avatar, and I've not seen armed gangsters in the bushes outside his home!
Society Member
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

I'm pretty proud of the Google search of my name!! I've made myself big in school! :wink:

Society Member
Philip Mannering

Moonraker wrote:
Philip Mannering wrote:
I can't see why! After all, most of us appear on CCTV cameras many times a day. I'm not asking for your bank details or PIN numbers, Phil! Google my name in Google Images and you'll see what I look like! My old friend Tony has his picture as his avatar, and I've not seen armed gangsters in the bushes outside his home!
OK, but I'll still have to ask my parents, you know. A description of me is always one word: short! My height is very short for my age, only 4 feet 5 inches or something. In my whole class I'm the shortest -- the result some teasing. In fact, there are many people who are younger than me, and yet are way taller! I wish I could be tall as them -- but I'll have to wait for that!
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Don't worry about your height, Philip. You have plenty of time to grow, and don't worry about the teasing, take it in your stride, and turn it into fun, you'll be much stronger than the teasers if you do so, and show you can stand really tall by doing so too.

I'm 50 years plus and still only tiny, about 4ft. 9inches. but this has never worried me or held me back, I love my height. My hubby is 6ft and loves my height too. :D

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
lizarfau
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George

Post by lizarfau »

Moonraker wrote:[
I can't see why! After all, most of us appear on CCTV cameras many times a day. !
We don't all live in big-brother England, Nigel! :lol:
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Philip Mannering wrote:
Moonraker wrote:
Philip Mannering wrote:
OK, but I'll still have to ask my parents, you know.
Yes, it's nice to see what people look like but I think you're wise to check with your parents first, Philip.

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Phil wrote:OK, but I'll still have to ask my parents...
Only kidding, Phil; I quite understand how your parents wish to keep you safe online.
Julie wrote:I'm 50 years plus and still only tiny, about 4ft. 9inches.
Yes, I can vouch for that. In fact, I took Julie's picture and just got a nice view of a blank wall! I think she may be distantly related to a Cornish Piskie. :twisted:
Last edited by Moonraker on 14 Nov 2008, 00:12, edited 1 time in total.
Society Member
Philip Mannering

Julie2owlsdene wrote:Don't worry about your height, Philip. You have plenty of time to grow, and don't worry about the teasing, take it in your stride, and turn it into fun, you'll be much stronger than the teasers if you do so, and show you can stand really tall by doing so too.

I'm 50 years plus and still only tiny, about 4ft. 9inches. but this has never worried me or held me back, I love my height. My hubby is 6ft and loves my height too. :D

8)
Thanks very much, Julie, for your kind response. You are right of course; isn't one popular Blyton saying "Turn obstacles into stepping stones", or something like that? I still have plenty of time to grow, yes, and one of these days I'll be saying to the teasers, "Eh! Go to the front of the line now! I'm taller than you." This refers to the fact that when we have P.E., or some excercises, or just stand in lines, it's always from the shortest height to the longest. I hate that, since I'm usually first or second in the row, and standing ahead of everyone else in the assembly doesn't give a particularly good feeling. But after I become a bit taller, I'll go a few places back and enjoy the change. :D
Busy Bee

Post by Busy Bee »

Hi Everyone,

Sorry I haven't posted for such a long time. I have been reading through this thread with interest and noticed that the topic here has been derailed as well. It's like a normal conversation- starts off with one subject and ends up with a completely different one.

Which part of India are you in Philip? Have you had anything published?

Gillian
Philip Mannering

Busy Bee wrote:Hi Everyone,

Sorry I haven't posted for such a long time. I have been reading through this thread with interest and noticed that the topic here has been derailed as well.
Now that's amusing! A serious topic dealing with Off-Topic-ness has gone off-topic itself! :lol: But it's all interesting, as several people mentioned "the interesting threads are the ones that get derailed." Great thread anyway, interesting, serious and humorous all in one. It's good that it was revived by Aurelien! :D
Busy Bee wrote:Which part of India are you in Philip? Have you had anything published?

Gillian
Mumbai in Maharasthra in the west. And what do you mean by "having anything published"? :?