Derailed topics?

Questions? Comments? Suggestions? Here's where to go!
Tinker

Post by Tinker »

lucky Star wrote:Its hard to say. Often the most interesting threads are those which get derailed, on the other hand if the original subject of the thread was intersting then it can be a little annoying .

That said, the instigator of the thread (or anyone else for that matter) can always step in and bring it back On Topic. The freewheeling nature of these forums are part of their attraction, it is rare that a post gets completely and utterly derailed, they usually come back On Topic at some point.

Sorry, I'm fence sitting a bit here, I see George@kirrin's point but personally enjoy some of the tangents that we shoot off on.
I agree full heartedly with you
Keith Robinson
Site Administrator

Post by Keith Robinson »

This is a tough question to answer, and it's one I've thought about a lot since Yan not-so-politely (but perhaps understandably) asked for his thread to remain on topic.

I do enjoy the topics that go off on tangents -- like Anita said, it's often the best way to get to know people -- but I also see Zoe's point of view that sometimes there can be a little too much waffle about stuff that's got nothing to do with the topic. It's fine for those who want to follow and join in (me included in a lot of cases!) but generally speaking I wonder about newbies coming along and dipping into the forums to see what's what -- and finding the conversation having little to do with the topic. And there are probably plenty of people who only want to have serious discussions. Well, perhaps those serious types are just in the wrong place!... but it does make me wonder what the solution is, to keep everybody happy.

I don't think moderating the forums is the answer at this stage, unless the originator of the thread privately says, "hey, moderators, get the riot gear out, everyone's got crazy." Or unless enough people complain that the forums are degenerating into waffle.

Really, the only thing I find mildly annoying is when people post exceptionally short answers like "I agree!"... or a LOL face... And again, I'm guilty of this too, although not as much as some. It's annoying because I've clicked a link to go to that thread to read the latest post, and it's nothing but "I agree!" -- so it's sort of a waste of time to me when I keep clicking links only to find "Yes, me too" and "Really?" and "LOL!" and nothing else. I prefer posts that actually say something, that add something to the discussion (whatever the discussion is!). But that's just me.

I think at this stage an anonymous poll might be a good idea. Let's see what people really think about it all!

PS -- Tinker, I just noticed your reply above, and I wasn't talking about you personally, honest! :D
PeterPan

Post subject: Re: Derailed topics?

Post by PeterPan »

Keith,I can understand your points.But when I come to consider it we
need a solution or let all as hitherto.
If and only if please no further reprimands.In my opinion the initiator of a topic can bring the discussion back to the substance if she/he wants.
Also there have to be a place for it.
I think I will work out a poll within the next few days, if you want.
But I don't wanna take away anybody's work.
If one feel called upon.... :idea:
rogoz

Post by rogoz »

I always thought going seriously off-topic was bad manners towards the post author. If respondents have such brilliant new ideas, why can't they start a new topic - can't be that hard; everyone seems very literate [ or is that literated ? ]
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I didn't intend replying to Yan's post, which started this train of thought; feeling it didn't really warrant further comment from me, especially in the light of Heather's and Keith's posts. However, as it seems to be lingering on, I feel compelled to write.

As with most arguments/discussions, I can see both points of view. Keith had made some good points. Personally, I dislike chat-room language - LOL, OMG, etc. (although I have been known to use it on rare moments!) Occasionally it has its place, if you really want to make a point, eg ROTFLMAO!

I think where Yan crossed the line (maybe unintentionally, as I assume he's German, and translations sometimes go a bit awry) was by his attitude. For a start, it was very rude to say a post of mine (including other respected members, such as Anita) contained "useless stuff". My comment was a friendly jibe (that if Yan had been a subscriber to the forums for more than 6 months he would probably realise that a lot of friendly ribaldry takes place) to yet another change in storyline that the tv company made to the book.

I also don't take kindly to being told (especially by non-Society members, if indeed Yan is not a member) on what or what not to post comments on. I also thought his apology concerning his tone, was a pretty weak attempt. He is, of course, entitled to his view, it was the attitude that riled.

I have always been impressed by the friendly atmosphere that has prevailed on this forum. I count the contributors as friends - although I have only met a few of you, personally. I do hope, that whatever the outcome of any poll, that that atmosphere continues. To my knowledge, we have never had these questions before, and I don't see the need to have them now.

If indeed we feel we need a poll, then go ahead. But I won't necessarily abide by it's verdict - rebel that I am! If I feel the need to comment - on or off topic - I shall. If we go a stage further and moderators step in, sadly that will be the end of my involvement here.

Hopefully, my last paragraph is a bit over-reactionary. However, I hope if one of my so called serious posts got side-tracked, I could pull it back on-stream tactfully; with courtesy and respect.

We are not World Leaders, or a group of Government officials; we are a group of (mainly) adults who share a love of Enid Blyton's work; so please let us lighten up and get back to the real world of midnight feasts, bike rides and trips to faraway lands. :D
Society Member
Raci

Post by Raci »

Hi all!

As someone who at the moment is not able to post on the forums so regularly :cry: I don't think the way people post should be changed!
I haven't read the post mentioned yet, so don't know what started this off, but I've never seen a problem with the posts going off-topic.

The only time its tricky is when you then try to find something you read previously, and its not obvious from the thread title. Search usually finds it though.

A diff forum I use sometimes tells people off for being 'off-topic' and it really stops people from carrying on discussions etc.
The fact that it isn't a problem to go off-topic here is what keeps these forums friendly. Most times the threads do get back on track, so I would say its fine the way it is and if in individual threads the author wants to bring things back on track just ask nicely :D
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

Well Nigel, I agree with your post. I usually don't reply when a quarrel has sort of started, I stay away from that thread. I also don't prefer chat room language, it's difficult to understand at times! I often have to loook them up in the dictionary.
moonraker wrote:Keith had made some good points.
Yes, I agree, especially with the part where it's just a smiley or "I agree" and nothing else. Don't get me wrong, I'm guilty of that too!
moonraker wrote:I think where Yan crossed the line (maybe unintentionally, as I assume he's German, and translations sometimes go a bit awry) was by his attitude. For a start, it was very rude to say a post of mine (including other respected members, such as Anita) contained "useless stuff". My comment was a friendly jibe (that if Yan had been a subscriber to the forums for more than 6 months he would probably realise that a lot of friendly ribaldry takes place) to yet another change in storyline that the tv company made to the book.
I agree here as well. I understood that it was probably unintentional, and translation can be a bit awry at times. I remember trying to translate a bit of Bangla into English and discovered I made a total mess of it! :oops:
moonraker wrote:We are not World Leaders, or a group of Government officials; we are a group of (mainly) adults who share a love of Enid Blyton's work; so please let us lighten up and get back to the real world of midnight feasts, bike rides and trips to faraway lands.
I'm not an adult, but I don't mind this company! :D So people, let's get back to fun!

Society Member
Moose
Favourite book/series: Malory Towers
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Moose »

Being off topic does not bother me and as others have said, the instigator can always bring the topic back ONTO track. But then I cut my teeth on threaded format message boards where it was much less important for things to stay on topic and nothing ever did for long ;)
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.
I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.
Time to die.

EF
PeterPan

Post subject: Re: Derailed topics?

Post by PeterPan »

In due consideration of general public interest I quit my offer. :wink:
Aurélien
Favourite book/series: Book: The Boy Next Door / Series: Famous Five
Favourite character: Noddy

Re: Derailed topics?

Post by Aurélien »

Anita said:
It doesn't bother me at all if threads stray from the original topic. Contributors are free to bring them back on-topic as they wish. Besides, it's often in the little asides and digressions that we get to know people better.
Moonraker added:
I find the most interesting and entertaining posts are the ones which wander from the topic.
..... ramblings that go off on a tangent, following on from a previous post are entertaining!
… rebel that I am! If I feel the need to comment - on or off topic - I shall. ….. We are not World Leaders, or a group of Government officials; we are a group of (mainly) adults who share a love of Enid Blyton's work; so please let us lighten up and get back to the real world of midnight feasts, bike rides and trips to faraway lands.
Viking Star remarked:
I think it's quite amusing, especially when the thread hasn't quite been derailed, but I can see that it's about to be by a throwaway comment at the end of someone's message.
Luck Star added:
Often the most interesting threads are those which get derailed, on the other hand if the original subject of the thread was intersting then it can be a little annoying . ….. The freewheeling nature of these forums are part of their attraction, it is rare that a post gets completely and utterly derailed, they usually come back On Topic at some point.
As a newbie here - a non-member of the EB Society with the great privilege of being allowed to post on these boards - I muchly enjoyed, er rambling through this thread, which indeedly :) told me a lot about some of you.

The quotes above were gathered together for my own interest, and were put up here so that I could more easily revisit them.

*Thinking: When I wander off-topic no-one will ever suspect that my aging brain is to blame.*

‘Aurélien Arkadiusz’
Last edited by Aurélien on 08 Nov 2008, 15:06, edited 1 time in total.
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I've been reading this topic with interest, not having seen it before. I think it's only natural that people go off topic, it's what conversation is all about. I do it all the time when talking to people, not intentionally, but one thing does lead to another. :lol:

My the way Aurelien I'm afraid my aging eyes can't see the blue writing properly at the end of your post. :wink:

Just off topic, what I don't understand is why you see latest new member at the bottom of the Board Index, and then you don't hear from them, either on the forums, or in the Introduce yourself. Do people just join, and not bother posting then :roll:

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Julie2owlsdene wrote:I've been reading this topic with interest, not having seen it before...Just off topic, what I don't understand is why you see latest new member at the bottom of the Board Index, and then you don't hear from them, either on the forums, or in the Introduce yourself. Do people just join, and not bother posting then :roll:
Yes, it was interesting, reading it all again! Anarchy, rebelry, buttercream icing - where else would those ingredients be in the same recipe! As with most discussions, there are valid points on both sides of the arguments; it looks as if common sense has prevailed here though.

I too am surprised that so many people register, then do not post, Julie. I shouldn't be, as I registered on a Harry Potter forum, then lost interest before I posted!
Society Member
Philip Mannering
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure Series and Family Novels
Favourite character: Fatty and Jack Trent.

Post by Philip Mannering »

Moonraker wrote:I too am surprised that so many people register, then do not post, Julie. I shouldn't be, as I registered on a Harry Potter forum, then lost interest before I posted!
Then why register at all, if you know you aren't going to post? I check the Last Member Joined and Introduce Yourself daily, yet it seems to me that most of the "members" now who register do not post any posts at all. Those who Introduce themselves have few posts, and do not log in after a few days. Thankfully, I am an exception. When I joined on 14th July and posted my first post on the next day, I promised myself that I would, err, take part in discussion providing, of course, that I have some good points. If I don't feel that I have got a really good point to make, I don't post! I still chuckle at some of my earlier posts - "was I really an idiot as all that?" I ask myself. Checking at my recent posts, it seems that I have grown up, but only a little!

There came a time where I also was a bit absent from the forums, and when I posted no posts for a time period - 22nd July to 16th August. However, from then, I have posted, not daily, but a bit regularly it seems!

As for registering on a Harry Potter forum, I'm afraid I won't ever do that. The books are all right - but some fans - well! :| This is the first forum I joined, (I was very scared) and I am very impressed by the standard of writing used here. Not every forum does that!

I'm afraid I simply can't find the logic why a person registers, introduces himself and asks some query, and then simply disappears! Surely they know that the Message Board is the place to ask questions? Worse still, I find no solution to a case of a person having registered and has no posts! Why, they just register for the fun of it or something? :roll: Hmm.
"A holiday — a mystery — an adventure — and a happy ending for dear old Barney!" said Roger. "What more could anyone want?"
"An ice cream," said Snubby promptly. "Who's coming to buy one?" The Rubadub Mystery
Aurélien
Favourite book/series: Book: The Boy Next Door / Series: Famous Five
Favourite character: Noddy

Post by Aurélien »

Julie2owlsdene remarked:
My the way Aurelien I'm afraid my aging eyes can't see the blue writing properly at the end of your post.
Good point, Julie2owlsdene. My aging eyes have similar problems so I've edited the font colo(u)r in the hope :wink: that no-one other than you will ever notice what I posted....

‘Aurélien Arkadiusz’
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

I'm afraid I would have been one of those people who register and don't post, if something had not happened and I felt impelled to reply! I registered on November 14th and did not post till November 18th.

And to quote Tony, "Many Ming posts have flowed under the Blyton Bridge since that day." Looking back, I find most of my posts laughable! They seemed rather knowledgeable at the time of posting, though. :lol:

Society Member