A meet-up in Beaconsfield?

Did you attend the last event? Are you going to the next Day?
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Re: A meet-up at The Spade Oak or Beaconsfield?

Post by Courtenay »

Yes, you can edit your vote by holding the pointer over your name in the list and clicking on the pencil icon - that brings up the boxes to tick again. Thanks, Fiona! :D
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Great stuff. I know only a handful of people have selected dates but so far it's not looking like many people can go on the same day.

The Poll
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Looking at the poll and the names, it looks like not many want to attend. Shame, a good Blyton get together is always a great day out I think. :)

I've never been disappointed.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Chick and I want to attend, but we are waiting for a definite date to be decided. Apart from Thursdays when we look after our grandsons, we are free much of the time and would probably be able to make an Enid Blyton meet-up on any day that is arranged. :D

Like you, Julie, we have never been disappointed with any of the meetings we have attended in the past. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

I am in more or less the same position Eddie.... wondered about ticking every box but not done so yet. I also think that without a focus like seeing the Old Thatch garden there is less enthusiasm. I wonder if the Beaconsfield/Bekonscot idea has been dropped now?
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

It's a really nice model village to go around Daisy. I know I've seen it before but would still love to view it again. And also I think it would be nice for the group to see Blyton Close. I know there is no Green Hedges, but it did once stand there. And the house next door is still the same one.

Anyone else in agreement with this idea?

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

I'm happy to do either of the two locations, but as there's something specific to see in Beaconsfield (the model village) but not in Bourne End (because Old Thatch is no longer open), I personally would suggest Beaconsfield. But either is fine with me, really.

I just hope there'll be enough people interested for it to go ahead!
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
shadow
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery / Mary Pollock / Adventure Series
Favourite character: Kiki / Loony

Post by shadow »

I've put my choices down. If it goes ahead on a day that I can do I will have 4 spaces in my car if people want to travel between sites. The kids have decided not to come. (Stef and Fiona breathe huge sighs of relief).
If I could live here on this secret island always and always and always, and never grow up at all, I would be quite happy
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

I cannot put any preferences down as I am away from home at the moment and I'm not sure what days I will be working. I've decided to wait until a date is selected then see if I can attend. It would mean at least one overnight stay for me and this could further complicate matters. But I'll come if I can.
Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Will you invite your puffin friends too, John? :wink:
Society Member

Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

I'd love to be able to come but it's an extremely expensive business travelling so far - and very time consuming too. I have to allow an entire day each way for travel and at least £100 for train tickets. While I've made the trip before for other meet-ups it's just not feasible this time around what with having just bought a flat.

Maybe next time, if there's a meet-up in spring or summer next year.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I'm certainly hoping to come, but I'm not yet sure of the dates of family commitments that might possibly crop up around that time. It would be brilliant to have a good natter with fellow forumites and see Bekonscot and Blyton Close.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:It would be brilliant to have a good natter with fellow forumites and see Bekonscot and Blyton Close.
I agree totally, Anita. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

I really would love it if we could have a get-together with as many people as possible - I've been a Society member for nearly 18 months now and still have never met any fellow members in person! (Except one who hasn't been in contact with us for a while.)
Society Member

Katharine

Re: A meet-up in Beaconsfield?

Post by Katharine »

I would very much like to meet up, but I haven't entered the poll because I can't commit 100% to any particular date at the moment. There are quite a few that I know I definitely can't make, but I can't guarantee at this point that I would be able to make the other dates either, and I would hate people to choose a date that I said I could make, only for me to back out at the last minute.

Location wise, it doesn't make much difference to me travel wise, but personally I would prefer Beaconsfield as I think there would be more to do there.

Beaconsfield is clearly the preferred choice so I've changed the thread title to reflect that. - Anita
Society Member