A meet-up in Beaconsfield?

Did you attend the last event? Are you going to the next Day?
Jack400
Favourite book/series: Famous Five / Five Find-Outers

Re: A meet-up in Beaconsfield?

Post by Jack400 »

I find myself echoing Katherine's thoughts *I would very much like to meet up, but I haven't entered the poll because I can't commit 100% to any particular date at the moment." I'd also not want to influence the final date chosen only to possibly not attend- and prevent someone else from having their choice of date.
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

My thoughts exactly. I don't know what I'll be doing tomorrow, let alone months in advance!
Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Saturday 17th of October seems to be in the lead at the moment.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Jack400
Favourite book/series: Famous Five / Five Find-Outers

Post by Jack400 »

My only concern is that as the year ends the chances of snow, ice, rain, etc increases...
Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

I thought that too Jack.... although October can be a very pleasant month sometimes!
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

We can always give this year a miss as the year is flying by so quickly and make plans for next summer. This thread was started rather late I guess.

I know when an Enid Blyton Day was planned we knew about it months and months in advance, which was a great advantage I feel, as it's always hard trying to get a date that suits all. But like the Enid Blyton Day, if a certain day is set, months or even a year earlier then everyone puts it in their diaries and has time to ask for that day off work. We all knew where we were with an Enid Blyton Day.

All this - can't do that and may be able to do this, takes up time I guess, and you can't please all the people all the time. But if I date is set 12 months before or even 8 months before, then it can be managed more easily.

Just my humble opinion folks. :)

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I think it'll be fine to stick with this year as there appears to be a fair amount of interest. As has been said, there are quite a few of us who intend to come if we can but haven't (yet, anyway) ticked dates on the chart because we don't want to influence the decision only to find that we've got family or work commitments on that date after all.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

I don't mind waiting till next year if more people can come! :D But I figure, let's see what happens. As I've said, I can usually be flexible with my work shifts, as I can ask for particular days on or off, provided I don't have a definite prior commitment (in this case, I'll be in Cornwall at the start of October).
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Catch 22 here. If we want to commit to a date then some will say they can't commit. If we don't commit to a date then the year will slide by and nothing will get done. :?
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I suggest that if they are happy to, the 5 people who have said they definitely can meet up on 17th October, go ahead and arrange something. That way a date will be fixed, and all those 'floating voters' can keep that date in mind and hopefully some of them will also be able to go.

It's a date that I know I definitely can't go, and I couldn't make the Old Thatch meeting last year either, but was able to go on the walking tour of Beckenham the year before that, and the last Enid Blyton day. I was also able to visit the Severn Stories exhibition in Canterbury, but not the David Rudd talk. So it's swings and roundabouts.

The Enid Blyton Day was good because it set the date and venue such a long way in advance, and it probably appealed to a wider audience than a walking tour, meal in a pub, model village or whatever, but even then there would be people who couldn't attend for one reason or another. I know it took me 3 years before I was able to keep that weekend free so I could go.

I don't want to sound too morbid, but life is too short to keep putting things off indefinitely - so those of you who can meet up - DO IT, and don't worry about the rest of us. :wink: And I hope you have a lovely time. :D
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Katharine wrote:The Enid Blyton Day was good because it set the date and venue such a long way in advance
Yes, this is what I also said, Katharine. Which to me is the best policy, someone says a date, which Tony used to. And we work around that. All this can't do that and can you do this, is such a long process, and time indeed is passing us by. Which is why I thought next year may be a better possibility, so that everyone can attend if someone just says a date we can all work too.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Yes I know Julie. The only problem with that suggestion is who sets the date and venue? With Tony and the Enid Blyton Day it was a sort of neutral decision. I don't know why Tony chose a date in May, possibly because of the availability of the hall, and then kept it to roughly the same weekend each year. Or maybe it was because May is generally the best time of year as it's before most people go on holiday, and the weather is usually ok for travelling in, and even if the weather had been awful, at least the Day was under cover. However would it be practical to try and fix a date for a general gathering so far ahead? What if the weather is awful and the model village was the venue, or there's a rail strike etc.?

Venue wise, I think a decision needs to be made as to whether it's just a forumite gathering or a more general one. For example, if the model village was the choice, then I'd like to be able to bring my daughter, however if it was just a meal at The Spade Oak with a lot of grown ups chatting, then I don't think it would appeal to her, or maybe the majority of people wouldn't actually want a young child there anyway?

Personally I don't mind who sets a date/organises anything, either I'll be able to go or I won't.
Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

I would suggest that if October 17th is the preferred date of those who have voted, then go ahead with that date. At least I will have a date to ask for when I return to work. As I said before, I will come if I can.
Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Katharine wrote:I don't know why Tony chose a date in May.
Several reasons, but mostly to do with dealers, this was a good time when they were likely to be available.

It was easy to give a lot of advance notice as in the latter days I had to book the hall a year in advance. Also I had to have speakers, dealers, caterers and sound and vision man all booked in about 9 months before the day itself.
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Thanks Tony. I suppose you had to find a date they weren't all at book fairs.

Sounds almost as hectic as planning a wedding - only most people don't have to do it every year! :D
Society Member