Enid Blyton Day 2010

Did you attend the last event? Are you going to the next Day?
shadow
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery / Mary Pollock / Adventure Series
Favourite character: Kiki / Loony

Re: Enid Blyton Day 2010

Post by shadow »

Keith Robinson wrote: The next thing I wanted to do is create a Bloopers section so that I could post bloopers about the series.

Sounds a great idea, I'd stay to listen to that, I've never noticed any of the inconsistencies until I started to read the threads on this site.

Also if there is a room at the hall which contains crossed swords on the wall and other such pointy things might I suggest a discussion about the changes that have been made to the newer editions of various Enid Blyton books? :twisted:
If I could live here on this secret island always and always and always, and never grow up at all, I would be quite happy
221b
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog, Adventure Series
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs & Jack Trent

Post by 221b »

Tony Summerfield wrote:
221b wrote:A Blyton 'Call my Bluff' kind of game or more basic, a Blyton knowledge game with teams?
I could announce the winner now. Whoever was lucky enough to get Anita in their team!! :lol: :lol:

She could be quizmaster - Oops, have I just volunteered you, Anita?

Or Anita could be a roving advisor to the teams, selling her knowledge to the highest bidders :lol:
Helen

‘Well, sir, he’s a whole lot of red-headed boys, sir.’
"This 'Ere 'Ouse Is Habsolutely Hempty"
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

221b wrote:She could be quizmaster - Oops, have I just volunteered you, Anita?
Looks like it! :lol:

Interesting to read people's suggestions. Wonder how feasible it would be to get authors/celebrities to do pre-recorded video interviews? I'm sure such videos would be fascinating to watch - not the same as having the person present at the Day, but it might be a way of hearing the thoughts of people who would never make it to Twyford.

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Aurélien
Favourite book/series: Book: The Boy Next Door / Series: Famous Five
Favourite character: Noddy

Post by Aurélien »

shadow wrote:Also if there is a room at the hall which contains crossed swords on the wall and other such pointy things might I suggest a discussion about the changes that have been made to the newer editions of various Enid Blyton books? :twisted:
Way to go, 'Shadow'!

Or, if we can identify those who made (and are still making) the more outrageously unnecessary changes to EB's texts for 'modern' editions, and obtain authentic pictures of them, a
  • Throw a Poisoned Dart at the Enemy Competition
might do much for everyone's blood-pressure.....

The entirely unrepentant ‘Aurélien Arkadiusz’
Sue Webster

Post by Sue Webster »

hi Tony , i have never been to an EB Day , much as i would like to but sadly cant afford it . i have looked at the photos and it looks great . regarding speakers how about Anne Digby --i`ve read several of her books and enjoyed them so she could be a good candidate .
i noticed the little yelow badges people were wearing on the photos and heard they were famous five badges . do you know if there is one left over as i`d love one very much ? thanks from sue .
ENID BLYTON BOOKS ARE THE BEST EVER!
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Anne Digby is a good suggestion, Sue, but I think she has already spoken at an Enid Blyton Day and getting an author to come for a second time could prove difficult.

The Famous Five badges were generously handed out by Oscar from Spain and, as far as I know, he kept on giving them out until there were none left. As someone said in another thread, we haven't heard from Oscar since the Enid Blyton Day. If you're reading this, Oscar, I hope the rest of your trip to the UK went well.

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Sue Webster

Post by Sue Webster »

hi Anita , i didnt know Anne Digby has already spoken at the EB day .How about Elizabeth Beresford--think she wrote a lot of horsey stories . I have been in touch with Oscar a couple of times about the FF badges before i heard he`d given them out and he said he`d send me a couple but not had them yet sadly. guess i`ll try again . bye sue
ENID BLYTON BOOKS ARE THE BEST EVER!
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

some great ideas.

I like going to the day for the books, the games and jigsaws, the meeting people (when they can catch me!) and I particularly like the film clips (Noddy in Toyland was great :D ). i also like to see the archive material, such as the original typed manuscripts that were on show, and watching Robert Tyndall actually drawing Noddy 'live' so to speak.

I can't think of many speakers...'Julian' and 'Dick' were very interesting, and it would have been great to have Helena Bonham carter, if she was avaliable, and Maureen Lipman, who played the older Enid so brilliantly in the documentary 'Sunny Stories' a few years back: I'm sure she would be a great speaker. A speaker such as Grace Lodge's son (featured in the next Journal) would also be interesting, as I think the relationship Enid had with her illustrators is an interesting one. :D
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
manzanita
Favourite book/series: Five Find Outers, Barney, Secret and Adventure!

Post by manzanita »

I think a quiz of some sort could go down well. I've been to My Little Pony meets and they've always gone down well there. I know one someone did was pictures of parts of pony accessories like brushes etc and we had to identify it. Perhaps a "Guess The Cover?" or "Guess The Character?". Or how about a quiz where you have to guess where a chunk of text comes from? Or the game where you have a piece of paper stuck to your head and you have to ask questions to work out who you are? It's a silly game, but ice breaking.

At one meet we also played a "Pass The Parcel" and in between each layer was a challenge like "Name 4 ponies beginning with A" or "name a pony with a pink tail". Again, silly but fun, but perhaps a bit too low for an EB Day! When it's a meet about childhood toys, childhood games went down well!
Hayley
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five books/The secret of Moon Castle
Favourite character: All of them!

Post by Hayley »

I am really looking forward to Enid Blyton Day 2010! I know I have a long wait though. I was extremely disappointed that I couldn't attend this years but I only joine the forum/society the previous week and was regretably working that day, but not next year I definately intend to be there and I am already looking forward to the experience.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I think we must remember that our happy band of forum members that attend the Society Day only make up about 15% of the attendance. Naturally, our highlight is meeting each other and having a chat over a ginger beer or three. However, the vast majority of the audience probably wouldn't attend if there were no speakers. It has to be asked if booksellers and caterers would be prepared to pay for space if only a couple of dozen people were there - many of those bringing their own picnic food!

If it proved impossibly hard to fill the stage, I guess we could always hold a Forum Day at the Red Lion! :wink:
Society Member
hope189
Favourite book/series: Five findouters and dog
Favourite character: George and Fatty

Post by hope189 »

Moonraker wrote: If it proved impossibly hard to fill the stage, I guess we could always hold a Forum Day at the Red Lion! :wink:
Great idea, Nigel. :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:
"Hope springs eternal in the human breast"
-Alexander Pope, An Essay on Man
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

:D
hope189 wrote:
Moonraker wrote: If it proved impossibly hard to fill the stage, I guess we could always hold a Forum Day at the Red Lion! :wink:
Great idea, Nigel. :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:
Hear! Hear! :D Nudge, nudge, wink, :wink: wink! :wink:
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

would there be fireworks?!! :wink: :lol:
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Enikyoga

Post by Enikyoga »

As far as suggesting possible speakers at next year's EB Day, I would strongly suggest two possiblilities. One is Nicholas Tucker who has written a couple of articles and books in which Enid Blyton has been included. One article I have in mind is "The Blyton Enigma" which was written way back in the 1970s. One problem I have with such analysts of Enid Blyton like Nicholas Tucker and more so Bob Dixon of that era belong to that school of thought that had started to overtly criticize Enid Blyton during this era. So many fans that attend EB Day may be looking forward to hear from such type of speakers, at least for now. At the moment, I am leaning towards a speaker like Dr. Andrew Norman, author of "Enid Blyton and Her Enchantment with Dorset" that was published as recent as 2005. His book is quite good at Enid Blyton's experiences and stay in Dorset and he consulted with Viv, who as everyone knows had earlier wrote a book of her own on the same topic. So, my choice at the moment would be Dr. Andrew Norman as the key speaker or at leasst one of the key speakers for next year's EB Day.