EB Day 2008

Did you attend the last event? Are you going to the next Day?
Moonraker

Re: EB Day 2008

Post by Moonraker »

Anita Bensoussane wrote: I enjoyed viewing the photos, Nigel.
Anita

Glad about that, old thing. I have already been told off by you know who for not taking more inside the hall! :x
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Loved reading everyone's account of day, and the pictures have been so good. Loved the "Gloomy Water" pic Steph, just how you can imagine it in the book.

Lovely photo's Nigel. The picnic ones were ever so good. Really captured the day well.

I only took a few, but not really worth posting, as everyone else has captured the day really well. :D

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

All the photos I've seen so far are excellent and really capture the spirit and events of the day. Nigel and Pippastef's pics in particular are wonderful and there are also some on the yahoo site. There should be plenty more coming in as well as I believe keith had his camera with him too.

So nice to hear that everyone enjoyed the day and thanks to Pamela Cox for registering and posting her own thoughts.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Kitty
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers/Malory Towers
Favourite character: Alicia, Fatty, Gwendoline

Post by Kitty »

Great pictures and reports - it sounds like it was a fantasic day. I am green with envy!

Looking forward to the 'new' Malory Towers books already!
Gwendoline lay down, angry. She determined to make herself miserable and cry.
Sue Bell

Post by Sue Bell »

Thanks for a great day Tony & Norman, appreciate your hard work. Tony for all his preparation, and Norman for his excellent handling of the day, and being a perfect Master of Ceremonies, - beautifully managing those difficult moments!
Just been reading the assorted comments........
Well done to Pam Cox, I can imagine how nervous she must have felt.
Would like to say to Rob - Viking Star - that in 30 years I have had just three Famous Five 1950's posters, despite regularly contacting London Theatre Shops, advertising, and having many people looking out for them for me. I make an especial effort to try to collect together more unusual items for the Blyton Day, and by pure luck have managed to buy one of these each of the last two years.
After having attended almost all the Blyton Days, long may they continue.
Viking Star
Favourite book/series: Mystery, Adventure and Secret series.
Favourite character: Fatty, Mrs Hilton and Philip

Post by Viking Star »

Thanks for the photos Pippa-Stef. Looks like I missed out on a very scenic walk. Aaah! :(

I should say thanks to Moonraker and wife June for their pics too, although every photo I'm in, my face seems to be contorted because my mouth's full of food! :shock: :oops:

Sue Bell wrote:Would like to say to Rob - Viking Star - that in 30 years I have had just three Famous Five 1950's posters, despite regularly contacting London Theatre Shops, advertising, and having many people looking out for them for me. I make an especial effort to try to collect together more unusual items for the Blyton Day, and by pure luck have managed to buy one of these each of the last two years.
Hi Sue, it was nice to meet you in person. Well, in my post I did say "co-incidence", and in yours you said "pure luck", so I think we're in agreement there! :lol:

I'm very careful not to over step the mark! :wink:
This is a Green Knight Book which means that it is a book by one of the most popular authors of all.
Timmy-the-dog
Favourite book/series: Castle of Adventure
Favourite character: Me!!

Post by Timmy-the-dog »

Hi All
I've just got back to the UK after a long trip overseas and I'm so mad at missing the EB day. I got back here on May 12 - grrrr. Should have been back on 8th but was delayed by the dreaded work for another few days. I had planned to get a ticket on the day, and it sound as if I missed a great one.
I've just spent some time reading through the whole post-day thread and I'm very envious. I would especially have loved to have seen the Tresilian originals for the Adventure series - I've always wanted to see these - where did you manage to get them from, Tony? I know from the publisher that the auction was in 1991 - I was living in Australia and missed it!!! In answer to Lucky star concerning the internal illustrations - they were "pen and ink" originals and, according to Macmillan, were probably "disposed of" somtime during the 1980's - arghhh - none were included in the 1991 auction.
I'm going to find the photos of the day now and get even more morose - I bet the picnic was a goodie too!!
looking forward to not having to go anywhere for a few months and getting back into the forums
cheers to all
Timmy

woofwoof
woof,woof!!
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I was wondering where you'd got to, Timmy! It's good to have you back! Some of Stuart Tresilian's original drawings for The Jungle Book were for sale on eBay a couple of months ago, but I don't know how much they fetched.

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Pippa-Stef
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: Julian/ Bill Robinson/ Sally Hope

Post by Pippa-Stef »

Probably a fair amount!

BTW Nigel- Liking the new avavtar! :D
"You're so sharp you'll cut yourself one day!" Hunchy said going to the door
"So my Mother told me that when I was two years old!" said Julian and the others giggled.

http://worldofblyton.wordpress.com/
Lucky Star

Post by Lucky Star »

Welcome back Timmy. It'll be good to have you around again. Its tragic that any of Tresilian's Adventure artwork was "disposed of". :( You'd have loved the stuff on display last saturday though.

The new avatar IS nice Nigel, where does it come from?
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Lucky Star wrote:The new avatar IS nice Nigel, where does it come from?
It comes from the cover of Sunny Stories for Little Folks, number 249, "Off to the Moon!" Details are given in the Magazine Listing:

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/auth ... ?magid=252" target="_blank

The old Sunny Stories covers really are stunning.

Anita

Society Member
Timmy-the-dog
Favourite book/series: Castle of Adventure
Favourite character: Me!!

Post by Timmy-the-dog »

Hey - thanks for the welcome back, really appreciate that. It is so nice to have time today to sit and browse the site - get up-to-date with what I missed!!
I didn't see those Tresilian "Jungle Book" illustrations, Anita but the round title page illustration was auctioned last year and the price went way above my pocket!!

I am really cross and sad at missing seeing the Adventure covers as you say, Lucky Star :( - any further opportunities arising, Tony?? Actually, I'm really cross and sad at missing the whole day and all you people. Noddy, if you read this, I flew over your house again last week - must have a stop-over in Mumbai soon and we can catch up - I'd really like that. I see you didn't make it to the EB day either this year, nor Ming - maybe next year??

Have so much free time today that I'm just trying to set up an avatar - it will probably take me ages - hope it works :!:
cheers to all
Timmy

woof, woof
woof,woof!!
Lucky Star

Post by Lucky Star »

Timmy-the-dog wrote: Have so much free time today that I'm just trying to set up an avatar - it will probably take me ages - hope it works :!:
cheers to all
Timmy

woof, woof
Very cool indeed. 8)

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Only 51 weeks left till the Enid Blyton Day! :wink:

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:Only 51 weeks left till the Enid Blyton Day! :wink:
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

I had an email from Marcus Harris last night, he said that he always enjoyed the EB Day and would come along, when was it - I told him that there was always next year!