EB Day 2008

Did you attend the last event? Are you going to the next Day?
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: EB Day 2008

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

It would be good to see you there, Laura. The doors usually open at about 10.30am but the first talk isn't until around 12 noon. I like to come at 10.30 though, to have a chance to chat and browse round the bookstalls. The Day finishes at around 4.30pm. You can bring a packed lunch or buy lunch from the caterers at Loddon Hall.

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Last year the doors opened at 10.30am with the first speaker on stage at about 12.00. The day ended at about half past four in the afternoon although some of us forumites did head off for a picnic afterwards. People were coming in pretty steadily fom 10.30 till a few minutes before midday and some even arrived as late as the middle of the afternoon (HI Matt :D ). I presume this years event will be roughly similar timewise, a lot of people do travel a long way to reach Twyford so I cant see it going on too late. The timing s of last year seemed to suit most people.

If you can make the journey it is a very enjoyable event. I sympathise bout the accommdation though, it is awkward asking people you dont know very well for favours but you can probably catch a late train back home even if it involves going via London.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Laura
Favourite book/series: Five Find Outers, Adventure Series.
Favourite character: Fatty (so original!)

Post by Laura »

Thanks for your replies - I should be able to make it, then, as the first train arrives just before midday - if British Rail runs on time, that is!
Society Member

Nothing is impossible for the man who doesn't have to do it himself.
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

Laura wrote:I have nowhere really to stay overnight. :(
I was thinking of suggesting that those who are looking for accomodation either before or on The Day may like to stay at the very atmospheric Jordans Youth Hostel. I'd lke to, but it will depend on work schedule, what Mother thinks she is doing etc...

http://www.yha.org.uk/find-accommodatio ... index.aspx" target="_blank

There are simple bunk rooms for the soft, and for the more hardy you can bring your tent and camp in the grounds. It is small, wonderfully period, and self catering.

It is also very rural - and the Campfire Circle is a wonderful facility. It is very close to Bekonscot model village which Blyton knew well, and has a model of Green Hedges (the house that is....)

http://www.bekonscot.com/" target="_blank

Any thoughts?

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
peppermint peppy

Post by peppermint peppy »

Really nice place around Welder Lane.I saw it on Live Search just as Loddon Hall.
Jools
Favourite book/series: The Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Julian

Post by Jools »

Hi all

I've not been around for a month or so as work/home life pressures are truly vile at the moment, but will be sending for my tickets tomorrow. Can't wait!
Half term at last!

Forums' First Angela.
Lucky Star

Post by Lucky Star »

Hi Jools nice to hear from you again. :D Hope all those pressures ease off soon, I've been quite busy myself and know how vile it can be. I've sent off for my ticket already so I'll see you there. :D

By the way am I dreaming or did Tony post a list of all those who had bought tickets so far on this thread a couple of months ago? I am sure I saw one but cant find it anywhere now. Who else is definitly going on 10th May?
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

It will be my first visit LS. Looking forward to the day, but will be on my lonesome. But as Anita said, I'm sure I'll be amongst many Blyton friends.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Lucky Star wrote: By the way am I dreaming or did Tony post a list of all those who had bought tickets so far on this thread a couple of months ago? I am sure I saw one but cant find it anywhere now. Who else is definitly going on 10th May?

I don't think you were dreaming LS, but I can't find it either. I did a search of Tony's posts, but can't find it. I am sure it was under this thread though. Anyway, I am due to make an appearance! :D
Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Hello dreamers, it is me making a brief appearance. You are quite right it was there, but I took it off as the details keep changing, but I do keep it on file, so I will repost it for you:-

Tickets Sold: 84 (23/1/08)

This number includes 25 first-timers & 6 overseas

Forumites: 12 (23/1/08)
Eddie Muir
Julie2owlsdene
Anna Moss
Anita Bensoussane
djb
Steve Alpe
Sue Auton
Moonraker
Nanny
Lucky Star
redlionweb
David Chambers

As you can see I haven't actually sold any tickets at all over the past week, but we are still ahead of the same time last year.

I knew the moment I posted this it would get out of date, so I have already updated it!
redlionweb
Favourite book/series: Noddy
Favourite character: Noddy

Post by redlionweb »

A free pint (or your preferred tipple) awaits society members visiting the new Enid Blyton Room at The Red Lion in Knotty Green, Beaconsfield - so you may want to combine your visit to EB Day on the weekend of May 10, with a trip to the hamlet of Knotty Green, near Beaconsfield, less than half an hour away from Lodden Hall. We're also offering 20% off our menu prices for EB members.
If you're a regular to this discussion site, you may recall that the pub's dedicated room was created as a result of suggestions made in this very forum to mark the fact that Enid Blyton lived in Beaconsfield at Green Hedges, just across the road from the pub. There's a library of Blyton books donated by EBS members and a gallery of prints and photographs. Apart from a nearby road called Enid Blyton Close, the EB Room is the only recognition that the author lived in Beaconsfield and, indeed, wrote most of her books there.
If you're looking for somewhere to stay, as Viv of Ginger Pop has suggested, you may like to try the nearby atmospheric Jordans Youth Hostel - http://www.yha.org.uk/find-accommodatio ... index.aspx.
We're also just ten minutes away from the delightful model village of Bekonscot which includes a model of Green Hedges (the real thing having been demolished some years ago).
For directions to The Red Lion, and other details about the pub, please visit http://www.redlionweb.com .
We look forward to welcoming society members. Please introduce yourself to claim your discount - and, even if you're not eating, the first drink's on us!
Last edited by redlionweb on 24 Jan 2008, 11:12, edited 1 time in total.
Lucky Star

Post by Lucky Star »

Thats very kind redlionweb. It sounds good to me. How far is it from Lodden Hall? Maybe we can get something organised. :D

Society Member
redlionweb
Favourite book/series: Noddy
Favourite character: Noddy

Post by redlionweb »

Beaconsfield to Lodden Hall is about 20 miles via motorway and A-roads.
You can get a route from http://www.theaa.co.uk
Pippa-Stef
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: Julian/ Bill Robinson/ Sally Hope

Post by Pippa-Stef »

I went last year! And am coming again this year and bringing my mother.

Although last year I didn't know anyone, so kept myself to myself, I hope i might be able to change that this year? (Looks Hopeful) :oops: :mrgreen:
"You're so sharp you'll cut yourself one day!" Hunchy said going to the door
"So my Mother told me that when I was two years old!" said Julian and the others giggled.

http://worldofblyton.wordpress.com/
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

With Journal 35 now at the printers, I thought that February 29th was a good date to update the details for the EB Day.

Tickets Sold: 102 (29/2/08)

This number includes 32 first-timers & 8 overseas

Forumites: 16 (29/2/08)
Eddie Muir
Julie2owlsdene
Anna Moss
Anita Bensoussane
djb
Steve Alpe
Sue Auton
Moonraker
Nanny
Lucky Star
Redlionweb
David Chambers
Viking Star
Jools
Robert Houghton
Pippa-Stef

Next time that February 29th rolls round will be just before the London Olympics and hopefully by then I will just be able to post as an ordinary member - assuming that the EB Society is still up and running. I look forward to reading a post about Journal 47!