EB Day 2007 - The Aftermath...

Did you attend the last event? Are you going to the next Day?
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Moose wrote:More pictures! And names to go with them!

That's you with the long dark ponytail there isn't it Nigel? ;)

I'll never get the hang of disguises!

Mysteriojuvenil was the main photographer, so expect loads of pictures soon!
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Here's a few pics that might be of interest:

The Real Noddy! Nice one, Prabhu.

Ming taking the car for a spin.

An Old Girls group? (L to R) Matt, Daisy and Viv

Ming with Marcus Harris. What is Julian thinking??

A Ming between two Fives! - Garry and Marcus

What's Viv getting Viking star and me roped in for now?

Ah...the map! Steeple, Tall Stone, Tock Hill, Chimney......? Lucky Star, Anita and Jools look well impressed!

I always think that food always tastes.........

Ah, the young and the old!
Last edited by Moonraker on 13 May 2007, 16:06, edited 1 time in total.
Society Member
Moose
Favourite book/series: Malory Towers
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Moose »

Wow Ming you are gorgeous :)
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.
I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.
Time to die.

EF
Moose

Post by Moose »

BTW can I post some of these on the senior room at EF? (ie they won't be accessible by the general public) There are quite a few people on them who are EF regulars too .. Ming, Jools, Nigel, Anita etc. I'll wait till I get permission from all those featured first tho.
Time to die.

EF
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

We had a rollicking time as usual yesterday! It was great to meet Jools, who was delightful, and Frank, Daisy, Viking Star, Lucky Star, Timmy-the-Dog, Tini, Laurence and Matt (at long last!) As for Ming, well, I felt I knew her already and she was as lovely and lively as I'd imagined! Wonderful to see Tony again, Nigel and Jane, Prabhu, Zoe, Paulo, Belly, Viv, Rosie, Bernice Harby, Kathy and others. Oh, and to meet Barney (no, not the circus-boy with the monkey, but Tony's dog!)

Barbara Stoney and Imogen Smallwood were there, but Gillian Baverstock and Sophie Smallwood were unfortunately unable to make it this year. Bookseller Sue Bell was sadly unable to come either, having broken her arm.

Nicolette Jones' speech about the "darkness" of much modern children's literature gave us plenty of food for thought and Duncan McLaren's forthcoming book, This is His Enid, exploring the influence of various people and places on Enid's writing, promises to be an intriguing read. Ju and Dick (Marcus and Gary) made an entertaining double-act, while the castle and eagles in The Castle of Adventure clip looked great on the big screen. (Sorry, Nigel, but I really can't stand the addition of the character "Sam" played by Brian Blessed!)

By the way, did anyone see Ezra from Chorion, who was apparently at the Day asking people for their opinions about the publication of Enid Blyton books? I'm afraid I missed her, but I'd have liked to talk to her. (And I'd love to have seen an encounter between her and Viv! :wink: Did you get the chance to meet her, Viv?)

After scanning the ominously cloudy sky to make sure there was enough blue to make a sailor a pair of trousers, thirteen of us set off for a picnic tea by a very Blytonian lake complete with island. The cold chicken, new potatoes, sandwiches, hard-boiled eggs, pasties, Bombay mix, jelly and blancmange, Dorset apple cake, macaroons, gingerbread and Ming Balls (little round coconut delicacies from Bangladesh!), washed down with ginger-beer or apple juice, tasted so much nicer out of doors! We got quite excited when a helicopter flew overhead, hoping it might drop mysterious packages into the lake or at least have some connection with strange goings-on. "Don't forget Bill Smugs!"

Highlights of the Day for me:

- Approaching Loddon Hall and catching sight of Ming in the distance - she was the first fellow Blytonian I saw and talked to at the Day.

- Meeting other Forumites.

- Having a look at Zoe's German Famous Five card game, which features some wonderful stills of the 1970s Famous Five series.

- Looking at Tony's display of photos etc from the various Famous Five TV and film adaptations.

- Tucking into Viv and Rosie's Dorset apple cake.

- Waving Lucky Star off at the station (Ming, Viking Star and I were waiting to catch a train going in the opposite direction.) It felt like a scene from a Blyton book, except that her characters are usually meeting people at the station rather than waving goodbye.

- Interesting conversation with Ming and Viking Star on the train to Paddington, about the Find-Outers series and Lucy Loud-Voice!

A very memorable and enjoyable Day - thanks, Tony!

Good photos, Nigel. That's Matt on the left in the third photo.

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Anita Bensoussane wrote: By the way, did anyone see Ezra from Chorion, who was apparently at the Day asking people for their opinions about the publication of Enid Blyton books? I'm afraid I missed her, but I'd have liked to talk to her.

No I had no idea she was there. Maybe we should have put her on the stage!

Anita wrote:Good photos, Nigel. That's Matt on the left in the third photo.
Thanks Anita, I'll amend my post accordingly.
Society Member
Kitty
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers/Malory Towers
Favourite character: Alicia, Fatty, Gwendoline

Post by Kitty »

Great posts and lovely pictures, it sounds like it was a fantastic day! :D
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:By the way, did anyone see Ezra from Chorion, who was apparently at the Day asking people for their opinions about the publication of Enid Blyton books? I'm afraid I missed her, but I'd have liked to talk to her. Anita
I talked to Esra several times (Yes, I was there on and off!) and I had seen a forumite group in earnest discussion at the back of the hall and I told Esra that these were the people that she needed to talk to. I steered her to the right place and you had all gone!!

I hope some of the comments and pics are being sent to Keith, he is out there in Georgia just itching to get something up on the main website!
Moose

Post by Moose »

Will next year's one be held in the same place? I'd really like to come but it's a bit far from me :( . That said, if a 12 year old can come all the way from Bangladesh - btw how long are you in the UK for Ming? - on her own I suppose I have no excuse :D
Time to die.

EF
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.

Post by Lenoir »

It's a bit far for me as well, but maybe one year...

Sounds like it was a fantastic day! I enjoyed reading the posts.
Moose

Post by Moose »

Heh yeah South Africa is a long way :). Since I am in the UK I should be able to make it next year I hope.
Time to die.

EF
peppermint peppy

Post by peppermint peppy »

Many thanks for these great pictures.I'm amazed.
Now I have faces to the names in here.
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

Anita Bensoussane wrote: By the way, did anyone see Ezra from Chorion, who was apparently at the Day asking people for their opinions about the publication of Enid Blyton books? I'm afraid I missed her, but I'd have liked to talk to her. (And I'd love to have seen an encounter between her and Viv! :wink: Did you get the chance to meet her, Viv?)
Hi folks

I was shattered when I got in last night, and spent this morning working out how to house a large pedal car in a garage that is already occupied by a refugee giant (see Wishing Chair Day posts re giant!)

Yes - I met Ezra and was charm itself. I really had nothing else to say to her that I hadn't already said to John Collins (the FF Brands Manager) when he visited me last autumn. Since I'd had my turn I thought that I'd leave you lot to savage her.... :twisted: However, I hope that she may be able to help me in future projects so I wasn't out to get her! (there doesn't seem to be an emoticom for "angelic smile")

Yup - yesterday was great, meeting forum friends old and new. I find the whole Day so much more fun now that there are a few mates around. It is interesting that so many Forumites say that they are really shy people (me included) and I wonder how many new people we spoke to. In retrospect I wonder if there ought to be a Forum table so that other members know that the society is more than a mag and an annual shin-dig?

I've just been eating a couple of Ming-balls and have the coconut stuck in my teeth! :D

Best wishes

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

Ming wrote:----------------------------

Look below for the full post :oops:
:oops: :oops: :oops:

I had written a review, and when I was about to post it, the internet disconnected... :evil:

Those few hours yesterday were the greatest times of my life. It was wonderful to see fellow Blytonians and spend time together, and I realised that all the people I met yesterday were far more 'realistic' than other people I've met - is it because we share the same tastes in books??

Nicolette Jones' speech was very entertaining, and I was fascinated to hear about the difference in 'adult' and 'children's' books. I was also very intrigued to hear that Nicolette had cropped up her hair and pretended to be George! She also said that she found it quite normal that children wanted sheds, passwords and everything else - in fact she had done it herself!

Marcus Harris and Gary Russell were superb, and in my opinion, the best speakers. Being last minute speakers didn't seem to worry them at all - in fact, I should think they felt even more natural and free! Marcus and Gary pretended to argue on stage, and it was all jolly good! Marcus said about his dream, the school room, and the bus, and Gary was saying "Marcus is like this - 'I'm Julian, I'll drive the bus, go and sit at the back, Dick!'" It was all very interesting.

Duncan McLaren's books This Is His Enid sounded very fascinating, and I have a sneaky feeling that I will buy that when it's out. Duncan read out a passage from a book called The Mystery of the Missing Books, in which Enid Blyton's books were stolen, and the Find-Outers try to solve the mystery. Enid met the four (Fatty was somewhere else) and asked them nay questions, and they felt very nervous to answer. Then Bets said she felt she had the makings of a writer as well. Enid asked her why, and Bets said she was always making up stories at night. Enid explained that if she had, she sould go on with it and send them to be published. After a lot of talking Bets thought ENid looked fatter than she did in photographs, and when she said so, Enid burst out laughing and collapsed on the floor. It was Fatty!

Now, onto the friends....

The first person I met was Tony. What a gentleman! He was getting out of his car and walking to the field at the back when I came up and yelled "Hi Tony!" and he turned around and recognised me in an instant. "Oh hello, got your consent form with you?" he asked, and I said I did. He told me about the Day a bit, and Barney was capering around his legs - just like George and Timmy! (Thanks for the Enid Blyton and the Mystery of Children's Literature and Enid Blyton - Geroge Greenfield as well)

Frank came up and introduced himself next, and we had a hearty chat about education in different countries. My uncle left soon after we arrived, and I bought so many books that I had to put them all in Frank's car! Thank you Frank.

I met Anita after that, and she recognised me before I recognised her. Oops. :oops: Anita, what a great person you are - very cheerful and friendly! I felt quite sad to say goodbye at the station, thinking I might never meet you again... but hopefully, someday, we will. Thanks for the Six Cousins books, I'll enjoy it for sure! You're a charming person, and you certainly lived up to the name Keith gave you - Goddesss Anita!

Barbara Stoney was who I met next, and it was her who put me up for the BBC interview. What a very nice lady she is! She had actually heard of me via Tony, and she was kind enough to sign my copy of the biography. During lunch break she looked out for me, and invited me to have lunch with her, Imogen, Norman, Bob and everyone else.

Ah, onto Nigel. I was browsing through the books in a stall when someone tapped me on the back, and when I turned around he said a hearty "hallo!" You certainly lived up to my expectations, and typical of you, made me laugh! Thanks for the Blyton calender and Gambling Hearts and Cavaliers pictures and CDs. You and Jane made my day!

I met Jools and Zoe next - both of you absolutely splendid people. It was great to meet you both, and thanks to Jools for the t-shirt! Zoe, early happy birthday.

Daisy was a very nice person, and I really liked her a lot. Wow, she was great! Very friendly indeed, lovely to meet you Daisy.

Lucky Star and Viking Star I met next, and both of them were very friendly. We all chatted a lot, and Viking Star presented me with a t-shirt with the bookcover of the Circus of Adventure!

Viv - just what I imagined her to be! Surprising, scary, and dare I say, spooky. :wink: Lovely to meet you.

Noddy13 is, as some have already mentioned, quite a gent! He helped me out when I used up all my money...

Do advance angrily on me if I've left anyone out... :oops:

I came at around 10, met Tony and Barney then and there, and spent some time outside with Frank when Anita came up. We went in after that (and my uncle left), and browsed bookstalls and everything else.

Nigel, as I said before, tapped me on the back while I was buying some books and introduced himself then. He and Jane were very kind, and wow, Jane became a great friend of mine within a few minutes!

Viv was amazingly surprising. I was chatting away with LS, VS, Anita, Zoe, Nigel, Jane and Jools when someone covered my eyes and told me to guess who it was. Viv, of course!

Soon it was time for the first talk. Nicolette Jones gave the first speech. Soon it was time for lunch and book browsing again. I was autograph hunting, and I met Barbara Stoney, who was kind enough to sign my copy of the biography. I got a picture with her, and went hunting again. I met Imogen, and before I could ask her anything, she asked me something, and a conversation followed.

"Are you Ming?"
"Yes"
"Did you travel all the way from Bangladesh? Who are you staying with?"
"Yes, I did come from Bangladesh. I'm staying with my great uncle."
"Where is he?"
"He's not here, I'm here on my own."
"Oh dear me!" [truning to Barbara] "WIll there be room for Ming at our table during lunch?"
"Oh, yes, of course, come on with me Ming."
"Oh, that's nice of you."
"Here, sit here"
[Norman Wright pops in]
"Oh hello, are you Ming?"
"Yes, I'm Ming"
"Nice to meet you, I'm Norman. Where are you staying now?"
"In Harrow Weald."
"Whereabouts in Harrow Weald, do you know the name of the street?"
"Yes, it's [street name deleted for safety]"
"Oh, my brother lives in that street. "

I had lunch with them, and was soon pulled off for the interview. I went back to Anita and the others, and as I was coming, Nigel said to Jane "Ming won't stay with us commoners, she's hanging about with the high-ups!" :lol:

We all went out during that time and goofed about with the Noddy car and Malory Towers storyboard (see Nigel's pictures), and it was all great fun. Jools and I were hovering about trying to get to meet Marcus Harris and Gary Russell, and I didn't know how to ask them anything. Thankfully, Jools introduced me to them, and all was well. Great fellows!

Next speech, by Duncan McLaren.

Marcus and Gary gave a last minute speech, the best of the lot!

Final book browsing and I finished up all my money, and wondered why I should. Hey, I had £250 with me, how come they're all over after I bought only 50 books? :?

Then I realised that I had spent £80 on the way to buy a phone (my old one, wretched thing, wasn't working), no wonder I was short of money!

Now, onto the picnic.....

The Fabulous 13 set out in various cars (and Minnie the Bus) to Middlecomb Woods, and we had a splendid picnic. As Anita mentioned, we were very excited when a helicopter flew over us. While Jools, Zoe and Nigel went off by themselves, Jane told me something that made me laugh for ages. I won't say it, for fear of offending Nigel.

Nigel, do you mind if I post it? :wink:

We walked back to the carpark, and I was VERY sad when we had to say goodbye. :cry: Viv and Rosie dropped me, Anita, Viking Star and Lucky Star at Twyford Station, and as Anita said, a Blytonlike secene followed when we waved goodbye to Lucky Star.

Anita, Vking Star and I had a great conversation on the Mystery series and Lucy Loudmouth on the train, and we all got off at London Paddington. A few goodbyes, very solemn indeed, and then we all wernt home.

ANd here ended the perfectly gorgeous day where evryone enjoyed themselves so much.

I've got a few (hopefully) superb photos that I hope to post soon, when I've worked out how to get them into the computer.

Note to Mollybob -- glad your house-hunting wasn't in vain!
Last edited by Ming on 25 Jun 2007, 19:25, edited 1 time in total.

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Wow great reviews by everyone so far. I will struggle to find something new to say. :D

What a brilliant day. I've waited and wondered so long what it would be like. I arrived about 11 o clock and got in straight away. There was quite a crowd already by that time and I was feeling rather nervous as I did'nt really know anyone so I browsed the bookstalls for a few minutes. I dont think I have ever seen such a mouthwatering display of books in all my life (and such eye watering prices too :wink: ). Despite the stiff prices I managed to pick up two Famous Five hardbacks with excellent dustjackets for a mere £11.50. Result. :D

Then I spotted a face I recognised from the pics thread. It was Moonraker and what was more he was standing with Ming. So I took a deep breath and walked over and introduced myself. Why had I worried? Nigel is a great guy, very funny and friendly, and I can only repeat what everyone else has said, namely that Ming was absolutly wonderful. The highlight of the day was definetly the people I met. Anita was wonderful as were Viking Star, Daisy, Georgina, Jools, George@Kirrin, Timmy-the -Dog, Viv and Rosie, Noddy13 (Yes he really is a gent) Laurence, Nigels wife Jane.... oh so many. It is rare (for me anyway) to walk into a crowded room where I know nobody and, within an hour, to feel as though I belonged and was with a crowd of old friends. A very special feeling indeed, one probably unique to the Enid Blyton Society.

Anyway others have described the speeches so I wont go over them again except to say they were very interesting and Marcus Harrison and Gary Russell in particular were excellent fun. They are very nice people too, freely signing autographs, laughing and joking and posing willingly for pics. Speaking of pictures lunch was much enlivened by the antics with the Malory Towers pictureboard and the Noddy car. :lol:

The picnic was a truly Blytonian experience. By following the secret treasure map we arrived at Gloomy Water and settled on a spot overlooking the Secret Island (at least until we had to move a few feet out of the wind :wink: ). A sumptuous feast of Chicken, Hard boiled eggs, sandwiches, macaroons, apple cake, gingerbread, and at least a dozen other things was washed down with apple juice and ginger beer. The conversations were fascinating. Incidentally I hope Rosie has forgiven my gaffe! She was talking very authoritavely about life in the second world war when I, completely forgetting to do the maths, asked her which of the services she had been in. Poor Rosie, she was only eight when the war ended. :oops: :oops: My humble apologies.

It came to an end all too quickly. I waved goodbye to Ming, Anita and Viking Star at the station and settled back for the train journey home. There is a real sense of belonging that comes with membership of this society. I felt it before but never as vividly as yesterday. It truly is a great institution. I wonder what Enid Blyton would say if she knew about us?

Let me finish by thanking Tony and all others involved in the organising of the event. Its a lot of hard work to put on such a great day and make it run as smoothly as it did. There was not a single sad face in Lodden Hall yesterday which says clearly how much that work was appreciated by all. Roll on next year, we'll do it all again. :D