EB Day 2007 - The Aftermath...

Did you attend the last event? Are you going to the next Day?
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Tony wrote:I am so relieved to read that the Society is just Forums, a mag and an annual shin-dig - it should make my job so much easier.
I never could understand why you spent so many hours on the job, Tony! I must get down to writing another article for the next mag - that is, if I have enough time once I've finished on the forums! :shock: :shock: :shock:

PS Can't wait for next year's shin-dig! :lol:
Society Member
Timmy-the-dog
Favourite book/series: Castle of Adventure
Favourite character: Me!!

Post by Timmy-the-dog »

Well. I finally managed to get my computer back online today after a major crash on Sunday - arghhh! :evil: here goes hopefully....

Saturday was brilliant and it was so good to meet everyone - put faces to names. Star of the day has to be Ming - what a round trip and it was great to finally meet you too, Noddy - we must have that night out in Mumbai this year sometime :lol: - your PM just arrived too - about to reply - what would Malory Towers have made of us 3 in reality - great pic, Jools!!

Real drag to miss the picnic but we had an evening thing on that we really couldn't change - next year I'll bring sandwiches, macaroons, jelly, ginger beer and some bones :wink:

Congrats to all who worked so hard to get the day together - great atmosphere/speakers etc - even the local tea was good

Will be in touch with you too, Viv - should be able to help out at the Enid birthday party in August
can';t wait for next year's day

cheers to all

Timmy
woof,woof!!
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

There, I've missed out Timmy-the-dog!!

Sorry about that, Tim, but I really have to say that you are a GREAT person, and very friendly. I liked Helen a lot too, she somehow made me feel at home, as did you.

I also missed out Matt. :oops: Sorry! Didn't get to speak to Matt (except a brief hello!), so don't know what to say, except that it was wonderful to meet you.

Society Member
Jools
Favourite book/series: The Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Julian

Post by Jools »

Well here goes with my review. But first a little background... I stumbled accross the EB Society whilst googling for books a while ago, lurked for some time then decided to join (both forums and the society) and I am so glad I did.
Looking at posts in the forums on the run up to the day made me feel like a child again. I think Viking Star compared it to the feeling you get before a holiday. I can certainly relate to that.
So, on Saturday May 12th I set off from Nuneaton (complete with borrowed sat nav) destination Twyford.
Arriving at about 10.45 I parked up and called my daughter to announce my safe arrival. Typically she was still in bed but wished me a good day and "don't waffle on too much mum".
I was truly thrilled to see both Tony and Zoe outside the hall and was introduced to Zoe's ebay pals(!) Tini and Laurence. Laurence-your enthusiasm for the FF matches Zoe's.
Into the hall - heck - loads of people and soooo many books! I spent a pleasant half hour buying up for my collection. Then - oh lordy - Ming with Anita, right in front of me. Chat time. Ming, bless her heart bought presents from Bangladesh and I am so very honoured to be the proud owner of her gifts. Anita, if you're ever in my the neck of the woods, look me up, you'll be made very welcome.
Nicolette Jones was charming and I found myself smiling along to her anecdotes about being a tomboy in her youth. Duncan's "This is his Enid" will more than likely have a place on my bookshelf-his partner Kate (who I shared a ciggie with outside) was friendliness personified - yes I know it's a filthy habit.
Gary and Marcus need no further glorification. Others have said it better than I can ever do. But anyway, they added so much to the Blyton spirit of the day. I raise a glass to you.
Mr and Mrs Moonraker, you made me feel so very at home. Delightful couple. Viking and lucky star(s) it's already been said that I thought you were girls. So no need to mention that again :D
Viv and Rosie, thank you so much for the delicious picnic. Next year I'll contribute something home made of my own (although it may be a safer option if I buy it from Asda).
noddy13. You are another star. Lugging a trolley across deadly terrain accompanied by calls of "where the b*&%$y hell are we going?" is no mean feat. BTW how's your back?
Zoe. What can I say? You're me 10 years ago. And if you ever want to sell your car....
Daisy, Timmy the dog, Frank, Katy, Georgina (sorry if I've missed anyone out) it was lovely to see you. What a fantastic day we had.
I am so very glad I ventured south on May 12th.
Finally. Ming. I would like to echo Nigel's thought's. Enid would have been proud of a girl like you. Safe trip home.
Half term at last!

Forums' First Angela.
Katy

Post by Katy »

Does anyone know why the day is held in Loddon Hall? It's a real case of of all the village halls in the world... with me!
Jools
Favourite book/series: The Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Julian

Post by Jools »

Actually, Zoe, you're probably me 15-20 years ago!
Half term at last!

Forums' First Angela.
George@Kirrin

Post by George@Kirrin »

You're very kind - I'm older than I look!

But I act W A Y younger, the day I grow up will be a sad one!
Image The definitive '78 series nut.
Keith Robinson
Site Administrator

Post by Keith Robinson »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:I can only see some of the photos in their entirety if I refresh the page.
Anita reported this problem to me a few days ago, and I told her it was all in her head. But it seems a few others have the same problem too, so I guess it must be real. :P

The problem seems to be related to the browser and version you're using. You see, I fixed the forums so that oversized pictures wouldn't force the forum borders off the side of the screen. The fix SHOULD squeeze the photos down to fit the forums... and it does, perfectly, in Internet Explorer 7 (the latest version) and Firefox (what I use). I checked using my old Internet Explorer 5 and, sure enough, there's the problem you're talking about. I don't know if the problem exists in Internet Explorer 6, but I'm guessing it does and that's what those of you with problems are using?

Perhaps some of you could do me a quick favor and check your browser version? (Go to Help > About...) Tell me if you had to refresh to see the full picture of, say, Tony and Michael. You can email me privately at mystery@enidbyton.net if you prefer, to avoid cluttering this thread with boring technical stuff. :-)

Thanks!
Ming

Post by Ming »

I'm afraid it's all my fault. I am still in England, and there is no resizing tool in my uncle's computer, so I can't resize the picture, and they take hours to upload. I decided not to upload any more until I get home. I've got some super photos, so Keith, don't yet put up the page!

I am currently using Internet Explorer 6, and it has the problem.

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I may be hidden, but I'm on line too, Ming! You don't have to worry about resizing any more as Keith has installed automatic resizing - and that is what is causing the problem. Just load whatever size you want to as Keith will soon sort it out. I also use Explorer 6.

Best wishes
Tony
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Yes, like Keith, I use Firefox, but also have IE7; both show the pictures properly.

If you run IE6, you can always upgrade to IE7 or download Firefox.

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/
Society Member
Ming

Post by Ming »

By the way, there are two EB Day threads running. Can they be put together into one?

Society Member
Katy

Post by Katy »

Please excuse my ignorance, but on the cover illustration of 'This Is His Enid', who is it that is looking through the telescope? And also, who drew the illustration? I thought Eileen Soper illustrated FF but it sounded like Duncan mentioned a name I hadn't heard before, or maybe I wasn't listening properly!
Ming

Post by Ming »

George was looking through the telescope, and yes, it was Eileen Soper.

Society Member
Katy

Post by Katy »

Thank you Ming. I thought he said it was a male illustrator for some reason and got confused!