Journal 82

What did you think of the latest Journal?
timv

Re: Journal 82

Post by timv »

Yes, it's good to hear that Enid's non-cancelled books are still selling well despite it all. Many thanks as usual to Tony for all his hard work and finding new gems among Enid's articles and short stories, plus my fellow-contributors for their efforts. The article on the 'Demon island' book by Judith is an interesting snapshot of how guns and potential fatalities among the villains seemed to be more acceptable in the previously strictly-controlled UK children's market in the 1940s, probably driven by wartime and a feeling that children would accept it more as it was now part and parcel of 'real life' in a new and dramatic way. Gwendoline Courtney and 'The Grenville Garrison' came to my mind too; it came out I think in 1940, and has a 'Ruritanian' theme of international villains trying to kidnap a Prince (older than Enid's Prince Paul or Gussy, and I think probably influenced by John Buchan's 'Dickson Mc Cunn' novels which had an adult exiled Prince trying to get his Central European throne back from dastardly Communists). That also has teenagers casually using guns to protect the Prince on his remote Hampshire estate and assorted shoot-outs, in a manner far more heightened than any of Enid's 'Adventure' series where the violence is more of a background threat apart from Jo-Jo trying to drown Bill and the boys in Island; in The Adventurous Four the Nazis are not as openly menacing or implicitly violent as the gun-runners/ smugglers in the sequel who drug the girls .

Three Boys and a Circus is one of my favourites, and it's a good choice for an in-depth look as it's an early example of a stand-alone book with a Family/ Business Crisis (as Mr Ravelini and Pedro are having problems with competent staff at the circus and even when Pedro takes Dick on his uncle isn't helpful to him). It was my first introduction to a Blyton circus book apart from Come To The Circus (the Fenny/ Aunt Lou and Uncle Ursie/ Willy and Presto title). At the time I was surprised that Mr Ravelini was so suspicious of Dick, though when I was older I could see that he had to be wary of newcomers in case they were trying to con him and probably he felt he'd been over-sympathetic in giving Larry a job as he was already fed up with him but needed his extra help. I think Larry was another example of the 'awful character who's more nuanced than you think as he's been Set A Bad Example', like Gwen and Angela; doesn't he reveal to Dick at the end that he's too scared to go back to his father/stepfather when he's sacked as he'll be beaten up?

I was impressed by John's view of The Rat A Tat Mystery; It's a good example of the 'What Happened After They Started To Live Happily Ever After' storyline which is pretty rare in children's books ( presumably publishers did not want to make readers feel disappointed that it had not all been plain sailing). It'[s handled realistically and subtly, as Barney is more or less the same person in his basic, pleasant and sensible character and has now lost his desperation to find his father and can appreciate the security but still feel a bit 'let down' by ending his old life on the road with new experiences at each fairground.

I wonder if Carlotta felt similarly a bit 'let down' at her new secure but restrictive life after her father found her, though in her case she'd had her mother's relatives to look after her at the circus? She's clearly keen to show off her acrobatic skills to her classmates at St Clare's and so behave like she did in the ring as a performer - but then worried that she 's broken her pledge to behave more 'normally' and suitably and hide her circus background. Her father's family, like Barney's father's mother, clearly disapprove of any 'common' link for their 'rescued' grandchild, and there must have been tensions over it at times - it's a pity Enid didn't show more of B's relationship with his family and his grandmother in particular, though his cousins seem to be nice and non-snobbish which is a relief.
You do get similar 'not all plain sailing' storylines in reunited families in a very small number of 1940s-50s books; the main one I can think of is Mary Gervaise's 'Georgie' pony books about The Grange School where one girl, Patience, has been kidnapped by gypsies and hidden from her rich parents , then taken in by an elderly landowner who thinks she 's an orphan, and when she finds her real family they are horsey socialites who are not very sympathetic though they mean well.
The way that the villains disappear off the 'radar' and are not caught in Rat a Tat is a rather weak ending, but there is a degree of atmosphere in the icy and lonely rural setting if not up to the standards (or menace) of Rockingdown or Rubadub.
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

It's fun reading everyone's comments on the Journal - and thanks for the kind remarks about my own article.
Kate Mary wrote: 23 Nov 2023, 09:00I was interested to read Judith Crabb’s article on Demon Island by Cecil R Baldock, it’s not a book I’ve ever come across and it does sound rather bloodthirsty! I found myself thinking of The Grenville Garrison by Gwendoline Courtney, another Blytonesque adventure that involves guns and violence...
timv wrote: 23 Nov 2023, 09:39Gwendoline Courtney and 'The Grenville Garrison' came to my mind too...
That makes three of us, Kate and Tim! Gwendoline Courtney's The Grenville Garrison came to my mind too as I read Judith Crabb's interesting article about Cecil R. Baldock's Demon Island, with its gun-toting, axe-wielding protagonists who grapple with gangsters! I was also struck by Judith's description of Baldock's book as "a trifle too cliche-ridden and stylistically ponderous." The same could be said of a number of adventure novels I've come across from around that period, including The School on the Ocean by Alfred Judd, which I read about a year ago. Books written in that style make one appreciate Enid Blyton's skill and flair anew!

Reading Tim Venning's thorough overview of Five Go Down to the Sea, I particularly liked the comparisons with Daphne du Maurier and the discussions of smugglers, wreckers and mummers. Despite the appealing Cornish setting and the unusual elements, Five Go Down to the Sea isn't a favourite of mine. To me, it never feels as wild, rugged and mysterious as expected - perhaps because it's the farm that dominates, rather than the coastline.

Enid Blyton's 'Children Like to Read' is a lovely account of book-buying, showing Enid's awareness of what will interest children of different ages. I used to love receiving a book token as a present and going to WHSmith to choose some new reading material. Bookshops were well-stocked in the 1970s and the choice was enormous. I would take my time and see what took my fancy, going home with six or seven books if I had a £3 token (paperbacks were around 40p-50p). If my sister happened to have a token as well, we'd have masses of new books between us. It was one of the highlights of my childhood!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Julie2owlsdene wrote: 20 Nov 2023, 13:06I also like the spread out dustwrappers by Lilian Buchanan on the back of the Journal, of the 1957 Malory Towers books. The favourite dustwrapper of mine has always been the Second Form one, the picture is so dramatic of the Cornish Coast and the daring rescue, with the rough sea below.
Lilian Buchanan's illustrations really are eye-catching. I first came to her through H. E. Todd's Bobby Brewster series, when I was a nipper. The Malory Towers dustwrappers have come out well on the back of the Journal - I like the artwork for Second Form best too, Julie!

I found Angela Canning's account of Lilian Buchanan's life and work interesting. I agree with John (Lucky Star) that Lilian's painting of the operations room at RAF Kenley is superb. Last year I was able to borrow Hilda Boden's books about the Marlows, so it's lovely to see the cover of Marlows Win a Prize (and the covers of other books by various authors, including the Bobby Brewster one). The vignettes of Carl Marlow and Bobby Brewster are delightful as well, at either side of Lilian Buchanan's self-portrait.

Lucky Star wrote:I'm not a stamp collector but found Selwyn Goodacre's article immensely interesting. But what a howler to put Dinah and Philip Mannering as two of The Famous Five!! Typical bureaucrats no doubt.
I too enjoyed Selwyn Goodacre's run-through of the Enid Blyton First Day Covers of 1997, while shaking my head at the howler. Some of the line drawings on the envelopes are beautiful. Many thanks to Tony for fitting in examples of so many of the First Day Covers, and for including the one that was signed for him by Famous Five actors from the 1990s TV series and musical. Great stuff!

timv wrote:I think Larry [Three Boys and a Circus] was another example of the 'awful character who's more nuanced than you think as he's been Set A Bad Example', like Gwen and Angela; doesn't he reveal to Dick at the end that he's too scared to go back to his father/stepfather when he's sacked as he'll be beaten up?
Larry comes across as a complete bad 'un in his dealings with Dick and other circus folk, but you're right that he's had a tough upbringing with an abusive father, lacking the structure and guidance he so badly needs. At the end of the book he begs not to be returned to the circus camp as "Ravelini will send me back to my father and he is cruel to me." Dick agrees because "I've no wish to see you beaten, though I think you deserve it." We're given to understand that Dick has made a lasting impression on Larry. Our final glimpse of Larry sees him fleeing "in the darkening night, making up his mind for the first time in his life to try and be decent." It would be interesting to know what happens to him next and whether he really has turned over a new leaf, but it goes without saying that Enid Blyton never revisited any of these characters.

Enid's 'From My Window' article - Rain and Wind - is wonderful as always. Enid writes with her usual verve, humour and eye for detail. I love the way she describes the many "voices" of water in a most poetical stream of prose. No one reading this could fail to appreciate her talent as a writer.

Society Member
Judith Crabb
Favourite book/series: Boys' and Girls' Circus Book/Adventure Series

Post by Judith Crabb »

I'm very pleased to say that Journal 82 has arrived down here, and once again Tony has created a visual delight. On the rear cover the wraparound Malory Towers dust-jackets by Lilian Buchanan are awesome, and if my experiences in the book trade are representative, extremely hard to come by. I decided to collect a set of dust-jacketed Malory Towers but had to be content with the Stanley Lloyd jackets as I figured that I was not likely to get a complete set of the Buchanan jackets, much as I preferred them. (I had in mind that I had to eat during my retirement, not just read.)
Tony's editorial is a welcome reminder that Enid Blyton is still making children happy, nurturing a new generation of readers.
I was keen to read Tim Venning's contribution 'Five go down to the Sea', the first 'Five' I read when I borrowed it from an older cousin. He delves into the social history and topography of the North Cornwall setting. My eight-year-old self had no idea that my ancestors migrated from Cornwall to South Australia in the 1830s. Having discovered this as an adult I now re-read all my favourite Cornish-set children's books with renewed interest and I found Tim's article an absorbing introduction in the new journal.
John Pickup's 'Return to Rat-A-Tat House' was also much anticipated. 'Rat-A-Tat' was the first Barney mystery I purchased new as a First Edition. I was thrilled by its wintry dust-jacket (along with that of 'Five get into a Fix'), and as for the coloured frontispiece - what a bonus. They still thrill me, so those shivers propel me through novel, even though I have to agree now with John that 'the emotion, the suspense and the drama of the first four books is sadly missing'. Still, as an eight-year-old I was satisfied with just catching up with these old friends. We'd shared such excitement in the past, so I was not going to complain about a more mundane adventure.
More to come when I've got the time....
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

I'm glad you've received your Journal, Judith. If you haven't yet got yours, Lenoir, I hope it arrives soon.

Enid Blyton's 'The Last Thatcher', published in The London Daily Chronicle on March 26th 1929, is a delightful picture of a craftsman and countryman who, on this occasion, is thatching the dove-cote with heather. Enid Blyton captures his way of speaking beautifully, and it's fascinating to learn that he has to bid every five years for the right to cut heather from a piece of the heath at Crowborough. Four hundred pounds sounds like a fortune for five years' cutting rights in 1926 (the year of the thatcher's most recent payment)! How sad that, after 400 years of thatchers in the Brimmacombe family, he is to be the last. I was interested to read of his tame animals too. Enid probably met a number of such countrymen and they no doubt inspired some of the characters in her books who know the countryside well and befriend animals, such as Tammylan in the Cherry Tree/Willow Farm series.

Incidentally, Enid Blyton wrote about the same thatcher for The Teachers World, May 1st, 1929 (see the link below), noting a few different details. I'm not sure why she considers the poem about the Pied Piper of Hamelin (based on the traditional German story) "jolly". It's anything but!

https://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/bly ... &perid=571

Another treat from Enid herself is 'Pip Has a Snow House'. The "pixified" letters are charming and it's an amusing tale.

We also have 'The Lucky Number', a heartwarming and quite unusual Christmas story which I really enjoyed.

Thanks so much to Tony for bringing us yet another brilliant issue!

Society Member
Judith Crabb

Post by Judith Crabb »

I was wondering how Tony was going to illustrate my article and was surprised to see pictures from 'Demon Island' itself. I particularly like the last one where the children, axe and gun in hand, are waiting for the crims. Lucky Star is right about the Ben Gunn/shipwrecked sailor parallel - I have immediately put Treasure Island on my re-read heap.
Philatelics is an amazing field of collecting - I can still hardly believe the variety which originated in the special issues resulting from the Centenary of Enid Blyton's birth and as Selwyn Goodacre pointed out the search continues.
I've always admired the book illustrations of Lilian Buchanan and Angela Canning's appreciative article filled in the gaps in my knowledge about the illustrator. It didn't surprise me to discover that Lilian was an artist of some note.
I considered myself too old to read the books which John Henstock discusses in 'The Last Three Fives' when they first came out. In his lively article he reaches a conclusion similar to my own about the last two Barney books. We can't afford to be too critical of old friends.
As usual when reading Anita's articles I experienced the 'yes-that-must-be the-reason' kind of response to the mild puzzles presented by long-ago publishing practices - in this case concerning Mary Pollock and the Tower Series. Of that series I know for sure that I read one more than once as a child - 'Smuggler Ben' because it was a birthday present. I can recall composing and inscribing into it a fulsome gift inscription purportedly from the girl who gave it to me. Two other titles I think I read, two others I might have read but 'Three Boys and a Circus' I certainly never read. Thanks to Anita it has been put on my 'to read' heap. (*I assumed that it was a boy's book.)
More to come when I have the time....
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

I hope the girl who gave you Smuggler Ben didn't ask you if she could borrow it, Judith! :lol:

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

Journal 82 is yet another excellent addition to these fine publications.
I can vouch for Tony's comments about bookshops stocking lots of Blytons, I was in Waterstones, Nottingham last week and the lady was ably represented in the children's section.

Tim Venning gives us another of his interesting articles about a Five book including some location photos and history about wreckers.

I have three of the Newnes Tower House series; the one Judith writes about, The Children of Kidillin by Enid disguised as Mary Pollock and Peril On The Ridge by Michael Poole. Judith makes some good points about a possible influence for Valley of Adventure. Demon Island I shall put aside to reread later.

I have never collected stamps but I did live in Gainsborough for over 60 years so I am well aware of Blyton village as I have passed through it many times during my life. It is situated on the main Gainsborough to Scunthorpe Road. The village is a long, straggling collection of houses, a school, a church and two pubs and, most importantly, a business that sells exceptional ice creams to locals and passing trade. It is very popular and long queues can often be found there. Enid would love it! I don't know of any association with the Blyton family and unfortunately, I don't live locally anymore to investigate further.

I've always liked Lilian Buchanan's work. The last three FFO books are brilliantly illustrated by her and Angela Canning gives us a very interesting piece about her past. Anyone wishing to check out her work on the Cherry books need deep pockets, they are fetching ridiculous prices. I must mention Judith Crabb again here for I do have a complete set of the Malory Towers series illustrated by Lilian. They took some collecting but the wrappers are exceptional and it's great to see them on the back cover of this Journal. I really hope Judith can find them for herself one day.

I shall leave more thoughts later.
Society Member
Judith Crabb

Post by Judith Crabb »

Yes, John, a set of the Buchanan jackets would be great to have on the shelves - in fact, for me, only a dust-jacketed 'Up the Faraway Tree' would take precedence, and I'm never likely to buy one of those!
Yes, Anita, almost always when I've 'practised to deceive' I've suffered the consequences, though in this case I recall no sequel. (Nor did I make a career in forgery.)
John Lester's 'Benjy and the Others' is an engaging piece concerning his encounter with the youngest of the Happy House children. When I took my copy down from the shelf I noticed that the illustrator is Kathleen Gell, so Tony's choice of illustrator with quite different illustrations is a bonus for me.
Neville Barlow concludes his tetralogy with an analysis of 'Five Go to Demon's Rocks' using it as an example of the ramifications that Enid Blyton's psychology had on the characters and plots of her novels. J.M. Coetzee, our local Nobel prize-winner, wrote that 'all writing is auto-biographical' (I hope I'm remembering correctly) and Neville Barlow's articles go a long way to demonstrate this, at the same time underlining the importance of literature in the development of the child emotionally and intellectually. Enid Blyton's appetite for living shines through everything she wrote, incredibly important news for growing children and a true antidote to so much pessimism and self-pity they will inevitably encounter.
Enid Blyton's own contributions to the Journal provide a special pleasure, for me most of all the 'Children like to read' as I find it fascinating to realise how self aware she was of what she was achieving.
Well, that's it from me concerning the latest journal. For a privately circulate magazine to have lasted so long and at such a high quality is amazing. Once again, bless you, Tony.
Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

Carrying on with my thoughts on Journal 82.

John Henstock concludes his series about the Fives books with a summary of the last three. Everyone has a different opinion about these books, I like Demons Rocks but Mystery To Solve and the awful Wilfrid doesn't grip me at all. John mentions how careless the Five are in Demons Rocks. Reading this series for the first time as a child, I never picked up on things like this. Together Again sees Enid attempting to include all sorts of ingredients to make a good book and it doesn't really work.

I've never read or owned Three Boys And A Circus but Anita, as always, brings the book to life in her usual inimitable style. Pedro's fox terriers reminded me of the two my father kept when I lived at home. Although a short book, it seems to have a lively story and, if not for Anita's article, one I would have overlooked.

It was interesting to read about Benjy as described by John Lester, another character I wasn't aware of. I was surprised to read about Benjy not going to school until he was six years old. At a time when books were out of reach for many children, Sunny Stories magazine must have been eagerly awaited by many, desperate to read the next instalment of their favourite serials.

And the cream of the crop, the ephemera included by Tony in this issue. We can read about Bundle and Cosy from 1943, The Last Thatcher, written in 1929 which I really enjoyed reading. As someone else mentioned, it's astonishing to learn that back then, the thatcher had to pay £400 for five years of cutting rights on the common. Children Like To Read, written during WW2, shows us Enid's thoughts on which books are suitable for specific age groups and why. If she didn't know, no-one did! The From My Window article of November 1926 is beautifully written as Enid has a word for every sound on a windy Autumn night. If it wasn't for Tony, we would never have the opportunity to read and marvel at these pieces, sourced from obscure papers like the Sunday Dispatch and the London Daily Chronicle.

Journal 82 has been a delight to read and I must thank my fellow contributors for ensuring we have a meaty journal to enjoy. Thanks to those who have praised my own humble offering but, most of all, praise to Tony for his sterling work in editing, compiling and producing the most comprehensive study of a well-loved author ever published. Along with the Cave of Books, the Journal is the Enid Blyton Society and let us not forget that without Tony, we would have neither.
Society Member
IceMaiden
Favourite book/series: Too many to mention! All of them!
Favourite character: George

Post by IceMaiden »

I've just finished journal 82 and enjoyed it immensely as always. It has got to be the best value magazine going as there really is something for everyone with not one page wasted.

I really liked the articles on the last Fives books and Rat-a-Tat mystery as unlike most I do find them enjoyable and as readable as any of Enid's other books. Five are Together Again might suffer from having the same plot practically as Rilloby Fair but the other two are solid in my opinion. The thought of staying in a lighthouse was thrilling to me as a child and I've always found Mystery to Solve extremely atmospheric. The eerie silent statues, the well with a door in it and the room behind all come across as terrifically unnerving, particularly the statues.Sadly the 90s tv series failed to convey this and it felt so rushed and hurried as well (just like Hike). A classic example of tv not being able to truly match the book. Personally I think Enid Blyton did well to come up with yet another different idea after writing so many FF books already! It would have been nice to finish on this book to make it a nice round twenty instead of a rather odd twenty one, and it would have also avoided having a copy plot of another book and being a 'weak finish' to a smashing series. Goes to show that giving into fan pressure isn't always a good idea. I wonder where Enid would have stopped the series herself without the fan pressure? Where would other fans have stopped? I recall reading only the first six books were meant to be done but I'd hate the thought of no Trouble, Hike, Wonderful Time, Fix etc.

Rat-A-Tat I've always liked for it's creepy isolated feel, the weird feel of the disappearing snowman and forward only footsteps (both of those really unnerved me as a child). There's something ghostly and menacing about it and it gave me the same sense of unease as the village of Ring o'Bells does. Both seem to be in a time of their own, isolated from the rest of the world. I also like it's uniqueness in showing beyond the 'happy ever after ending'. In films and stories you always get the happy ending then the credits roll and your left wondering what happens next. Do they stay happy? Do they fall apart and never see each other again? Move to the other side of the world? This book, and Ragamuffin let's the viewer(reader) see what they don't normally get to see, exactly what happens to the character after the big finish. However I think this is exactly why it's not that popular so maybe Hollywood know what they're doing in ending on the happy note!

Anita, your article on Three Boys and a Circus caught my eye immediately. As a dog lover and working with them I'm always drawn to anything that mentions them and I found your comments on the Old English Sheepdog very interesting. Enid has a few OES in her stories (most notably this one and Patter from the Happy House books) and what I find fascinating is that they are always puppies. Was this done deliberately I wonder? The OES is a huge dog with a massive coat, not at all easy or manageable for children. A puppy however hasn't yet got that huge coat so is obviously easier and it would explain why they're always depicted as such in the books. It's also interesting to know that this breed was a much more popular sight when Enid was writing than they are these days. Fashion, cost and lifestyle choices have made them fall considerably out of favour as people opt for more manageable dogs to exercise and groom, indeed a few years ago the OES was on the kennel club vulnerable native breeds list (a list of British & Irish breeds whose breed registration has dropped to below 300 puppies a year). In 2021 it was taken off it but they still don't have very high numbers anymore. Incidentally, another of EB's favourites, the smooth Fox Terrier (like Bobs) is also on that list, another example of how, even in dogs, traditions and tastes have changed considerably since the books were written.

It was great to read about Benjy and the Others. This is one book I cannot track down so it was nice to have an insight into what it's like. I would say it's made me want to get a copy but as that seems to be impossible I'll have to content myself with just reading about it!

Judith - don't give up on finding the Lilian Buchanan Malory Towers dust jackets. I have managed to get all six in the last year for a total cost of £75. They are still out there, just keep looking. They are really lovely jackets as can be seen on the journal back cover and I wish this artist had done all the Find Outer books too as they are truly delightful.

The short number story is very heartening and perfect for this time of year. One of the best things about the journal to me is the short stories that can't be found in other books and it's marvellous that they can be added this way so that we can read stories that we might otherwise never get to see or even know of. I know everyone always says about how good Enid's main series are but I believe her short stories are superb too. I've always loved them, that's why I have tried to collect as many of these books as the main ones and I for one am extremely glad and grateful that the ones that aren't readily available are preserved through the journal. May it and all of Enid's glorious work be kept alive and treasured forever.
Society Member

I'm just an old fashioned girl with an old fashioned mind
Not sophisticated, I'm the sweet and simple kind
I want an old fashioned house, with an old fashioned fence
And A̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶h̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶a̶i̶r̶e̶
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

I agree that Enid Blyton's short stories are superb, IceMaiden. They're carefully crafted and full of wisdom and fun - and very varied too. As a child of five, I loved to curl up with one of the Purnell Sunshine Library or Dean & Son short story collections. They widened my horizons and taught me a lot. As you say, it's brilliant to be able to read uncollected tales in the Journal.

IceMaiden wrote: 30 Nov 2023, 14:36Anita, your article on Three Boys and a Circus caught my eye immediately. As a dog lover and working with them I'm always drawn to anything that mentions them and I found your comments on the Old English Sheepdog very interesting. Enid has a few OES in her stories (most notably this one and Patter from the Happy House books) and what I find fascinating is that they are always puppies. Was this done deliberately I wonder? The OES is a huge dog with a massive coat, not at all easy or manageable for children. A puppy however hasn't yet got that huge coat so is obviously easier and it would explain why they're always depicted as such in the books. It's also interesting to know that this breed was a much more popular sight when Enid was writing than they are these days. Fashion, cost and lifestyle choices have made them fall considerably out of favour as people opt for more manageable dogs to exercise and groom, indeed a few years ago the OES was on the kennel club vulnerable native breeds list (a list of British & Irish breeds whose breed registration has dropped to below 300 puppies a year). In 2021 it was taken off it but they still don't have very high numbers anymore. Incidentally, another of EB's favourites, the smooth Fox Terrier (like Bobs) is also on that list, another example of how, even in dogs, traditions and tastes have changed considerably since the books were written.
Thanks, IceMaiden. Yes, I'd heard about the sad decline in popularity of Old English Sheepdogs and Smooth Fox Terriers. Bouncer doesn't seem to be a puppy though, as Pedro remarks that Bouncer is "just longing to learn - but he's too old now. You want a young dog, you know - and even then, only the clever ones."

John Pickup wrote: 28 Nov 2023, 11:57John Henstock concludes his series about the Fives books with a summary of the last three. Everyone has a different opinion about these books, I like Demons Rocks but Mystery To Solve and the awful Wilfrid doesn't grip me at all. John mentions how careless the Five are in Demons Rocks. Reading this series for the first time as a child, I never picked up on things like this. Together Again sees Enid attempting to include all sorts of ingredients to make a good book and it doesn't really work.
I feel exactly the same as you about the last three Famous Five titles, John. I remember going on a day trip to a lighthouse with school (aged 9) and being thrilled to have entered the world of Demon's Rocks!

Society Member
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Lenoir »

My copy came today.
It seems to be full of good things and I am looking forward to reading it.
Looking at the back page, the Malory Towers dustwrappers illustrations are very nice. I just have one of the books with a dustwrapper, the first one.
And I am reading Five go down to the Sea, so it will be fresh in my mind when I read the article on page 4.
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I seem to have little time to contribute to forums at the moment. A myriad of medical issues/appointments (nothing too serious!) and travelling between children (thank goodness we only had two) .... well, that's my excuse explained!

Other than to say I could copy and paste Lucky Star's review of this excellent Journal, I haven't anything to add. Suffice to say, I especially enjoyed the articles about the books, not really interested in the psychology of fictional characters or postage stamps, but I would think many people are fascinated by all of this, which makes the Journal a comprehensive reflection of the world of Blyton.

My Man of the Match (other genders are available) this time goes to John Pickup, for his excellent piece on Rat-a-Tat. As a nipper, this was my favourite title of the series. To give a slight Revell Horwood note, I would prefer if articles didn't give away the whole plot, but I imagine that most, if not all, have read this title. and like John, I can't resist "doing the walk" on the rare occasions we have a covering of snow!

Thanks to all contributors, and to the Grand Master for putting it all together once again.
Society Member
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Lenoir »

I have been updating the index that can be downloaded from this link. Up to No. 82.

Index
Society Member