Journal 22

What did you think of the latest Journal?
Judith Crabb
Favourite book/series: Boys' and Girls' Circus Book/Adventure Series

Journal 22

Post by Judith Crabb »

The first article in Journal 22 is 'The Laurel Leaf Thief: Two Visits to Green Hedges' by Alan Blaikley, one of the best articles about Enid Blyton that I have ever read. Divided as it is into two parts, one an account of a 1949 visit - 'pilgrimage' - as a nine-year-old to Beaconsfield with a favourite aunt - a visit which took him no further than the front gate, and the other in 1962 when he interviewed Enid Blyton for a BBC program 'Writing for Children'. So the reader has the delight of sharing a never-to-be-forgotten childhood excursion, and then the account of a young man's 'eager anticipation and more than a little apprehension' as he approaches his first commissioned interview, and finally the perspective of late middle-age as he acknowledges his eternal gratitude for Enid Blyton's 'enormous relish for living, her ability to share her myriad enthusiasms, to encompass so many aspects of existence and to infuse everything with such excitement, interest and worth'.
Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Re: Journal 22

Post by pete9012S »

Many thanks for your post Judith.
I will search out my copy and re-read that article when I return from work later today.
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

That final comment by Alan Blaikley sums up Enid Blyton beautifully, Judith. I enjoyed chatting to Alan at an Enid Blyton Day. His songwriting partner, Ken Howard, wrote and directed the 1992 'Bookmark' Sunny Stories programme about Enid. Alan Blaikley died last year and I learnt from his obituary that he and Ken Howard had written songs for artists/groups like Elvis Presley and The Bay City Rollers.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Splodj

Post by Splodj »

Howard and Blaikley wrote all those delightfully mischievous songs for Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick and Tich.
Judith Crabb
Favourite book/series: Boys' and Girls' Circus Book/Adventure Series

Post by Judith Crabb »

Thanks for the information Anita and Splodj. The article left me with warm sentiments towards such an insightful individual. And I remember Dave Dee and co. Well I never, as my Grandma used to say.
Society Member