Journal 77

What did you think of the latest Journal?
Hannah

Re: Journal 77

Post by Hannah »

My journal arrived today but I haven't had time for more than a quick look.
Society Member
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

My EBS Journal arrived yesterday. Can't wait to read John Pickup's "Return to Rockingdown" and Tim Venning's "Five go to Smuggler's Top".
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Boodi 2
Favourite book/series: The Five Find-outers, The Six Cousins
Favourite character: Ern

Post by Boodi 2 »

As always, I am really enjoying the journal, but only reading it in small portions to make it last longer. So far the highlights for me are "Return to Rockingdown". "Brer Rabbit in the Deep South (Part 2)" and "Stories to put a spring in your step", which made me want to read "It came back to him in the end", with which I was not familiar. I also loved the reference to "Thoroughly Modern Millie" in the editorial, as it is a musical that tends to be forgotten, although the film version from 1967 was one of the first films I saw in a cinema (the only previous ones being various Laurel & Hardy films and "The Sound of Music"!!). Unbelievable that it is already 100 years since "Child Whispers" was first published...the tribute on the back page was most apt. Thanks to Tony and all the contributors for a really splendid journal.
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Now completed, it has been yet another thumping good read. Thank you to Tony for compiling and editing, and of course, all of the contributors who wrote such interesting articles. There wasn't one I didn't enjoy reading, here are my highlights:

The Mind of a Child: How I agree with most of Enid's article. Good v Evil and the morals of good behaviour. I share her dislike of vicious American comics that were nothing like our British ones, such as The Beezer, Topper, Buster and so on. I also loved her poem at the end of the article.

Thoughts on the Faraway Tree: A long-time favourite series. I too wondered at how the adults in the books knew all about the Wood. Imagine letting small children climb this tree, possibly never to come back! I wonder if the Faraway Tree is still alive and casting its magic. I hope so.

Stories...in your Step: I only read Enid's short stories as an adult, so am still unfamiliar with most of them. I can't in all honesty say I am desperate to continue, although Anita's article did awaken a spark of interest in me to maybe read some more. We'll see.

Brer Rabbit..South: Like John P, BR never really floated my boat. I never read or new of Enid's versions as a child, only reading Uncle Remus' account. I seem to remember enjoying the stories, but have never felt the need to return.

Return to Rockingdown: I commented earlier on John's article. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I remember always being slightly puzzled by these 'determined chins' of which Enid was so fond - showing such strength of character. A good article of a splendid series, although I did tire of Miranda and Loony - and even Snubby was quite irritating!

Five Go To Smuggler's Top: Possibly my favourite of the Five's adventures. I have never been into twinning Enid's locations with real ones, and quite possibly Rye does fit the bill. However, on trips to Marazion, the sight of St Michael's Mount and the causeway - and separated from land by the sea at high tides - always brought Castaway to my mind. Of course, the English Channel isn't marshland, but it just looks right! Calling Mr Lenoir 'Doctor' Lenoir didn't sit right with me, a bit like Quentin being referred to as 'Professor' Kirrin in the TV series felt wrong. Having said this, a first-rate article which would get my award for 'Article of the Journal'!

Ilsa's Unexpected Letter was entertaining and shed some light on what might have happened to Edgar Stick. I always find these shorter amusing articles to be good fun.

All in all, another 5-star Journal!

I must say, I do enjoy reading people's thoughts and comments on each Journal, so thanks to them for taking the time to comment and share their views.
Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

I haven't had mine yet... did I miss renewing my subscription? :shock: (I've just checked and I definitely informed Tony of my change of address last year, so it's not that.)
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

I guess you missed re-subscribing Courtenay ... easily done when you've moved residence. Too easily done when you don't do it immediately too!
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

Another brilliant Journal (aren't they all?) My thanks to all the contributors, I enjoyed every article, and thanks to Tony for putting it all together. The highlights for me were first and foremost David Chambers' article Finding Billy-Bob, an astonishing piece of research tracking down early stories in The Christian Science Monitor (if I remember rightly Joyce Lankester Brisley's Milly-Molly-Mandy also first appeared in that publication). David says of his tracking down Enid's Bible stories to a missionary magazine The Star in the East - " I'm quite certain it will be of little interest to most people". Well I'm fascinated by these obscure corners of Enid's work, so keep up the good work David.

Another highlight was Anita's "Stories to put a spring in your step". It had me tracking down the stories in my collection, I have them all except Buttercup Day and Anita includes some of my favourites Mr Grumpygroo's Hat, Tom the Scout-Cub and It Came Back To Him In The End. A summer selection next time perhaps Anita?

John Pickup's Return to Rockingdown has whetted my appetite for a reread of that title, as has Tim Venning's piece on Five go to Smuggler's Top. The same applies to Brer Rabbit and the Faraway Tree.

Thanks also to John Lester, Ilsa Cheeseman and Judith Crabb for their very enjoyable contributions.

Finally, the Little Treasures on our Website page sent me to the Evening Standard entries and I discovered an uncollected picture-strip A Tale of Mr Tuck-In, another obscure corner from Enid's vast oeuvre.

The Journal and the Cave are absolutely brilliant.

Kate
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Daisy wrote: 23 Mar 2022, 11:41 I guess you missed re-subscribing Courtenay ... easily done when you've moved residence. Too easily done when you don't do it immediately too!
Yes, I don't think a change of address counts as a re-subscription! As you say, Daisy, best to do it immediately.
Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Courtenay wrote: 23 Mar 2022, 11:32 I haven't had mine yet... did I miss renewing my subscription? :shock: (I've just checked and I definitely informed Tony of my change of address last year, so it's not that.)
Your subscription ran out in July last year and you didn't renew and you therefore haven't had the last two Journals, 76 and 77. You actually posted about Journal 76 in its thread and got support for remarks from both Aussie Sue and Boatbuilder. I was pretty hurt by what you put as I am the person who spends many hours on every Journal, but I have never asked anybody to comment. You did send me your new address, but I didn't like to say that you hadn't even received Journal 76. In case you have forgotten this is what you wrote:-

"Maybe it's just me, but can I just say the constant guilt-mongering over people failing to comment on the latest Journal (this happens in the forums with almost every new issue) actually makes me feel LESS inclined to comment on the latest Journal?"
Boatbuilder
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Famous 5, Secret Seven, Five Findouters

Post by Boatbuilder »

I remember the conversation you refer to Tony and just had a look for it in the 'Journal 76' topic you mention but couldn't find it. However having done a 'search' using some of Courtenay's less-common words you quoted (guilt-mongering) I found it in the topic 'General Journal Natter', so it was obviously moved, along with the subsequent posts in that discussion, at a later date.
"You can't change history as that won't change the future"

John's Pictures of Suffolk - https://suffolk-world.com/

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Kate Mary wrote: 23 Mar 2022, 15:08 Another highlight was Anita's "Stories to put a spring in your step". It had me tracking down the stories in my collection, I have them all except Buttercup Day.
Kate
'Buttercup Day' awaits, bit by bit I hope to add all the Pennant Readers apart from the first four which I don't have copies of.

https://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/boo ... +Readers+8
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

using some of Courtenay's less-common words you quoted (guilt-mongering)
Mongering seems to have fallen out of fashion. I have heard of tradesmen - ironmongers, for example - so looked it up. I realised then that I have heard the word used often, but usually in trying to stir up trouble, rumour-mongering, scandal-mongering etc. I don't think any members who write about the Journal can be accused of that!

Anyway, J77 now read and filed away, here's looking forward to number 78! Meanwhile, I'm off to read Buttercup day!
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Well another great read, with lots of articles to make us smile and think that Spring and Summer will soon be on their way.

I haven't read some of the stories Anita mentions, so I'll have to do a bit of homework seeking those out.

Really enjoyed the Journal, and just love the cover. Looking forward to the Summer one already. :lol:

Thanks to all for your wonderful articles, and once again to Tony for his hard work with each Journal he produces.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

I'm really looking forward to taking my time and thoroughly reading Journal 77 slowly whilst on holiday starting from this weekend.

I will then of course enjoy sharing my comments with everyone else here who has already commented about the Journal.

I do try my best not to read others comments until I have thoroughly read the Journal for myself. Then after posting my thoughts I love reading what everybody else has enjoyed about the Journal.

For me, reading the Journal then posting my thoughts here is certainly a pleasure trip!
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

Thank you Tony for adding Buttercup Day. I shall enjoy reading it.
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member