Journal 77

What did you think of the latest Journal?
Moonraker

Re: Journal 77

Post by Moonraker »

I couldn't agree more, John. The Journal is so different to other publications as most - if not all - the articles are written by our friends. I enjoy reading them and picture the person writing the article, almost hearing his/her voice. I also enjoy reading comments on the thread to see if they share my thoughts on the articles. It will be a very sad day when the Journal ceases publication.
Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Boodi 2 wrote: 26 Mar 2022, 12:14 sometimes when I see the list of contents I think "article XX sounds wonderful, but article YY does not really interest me". However, when I actually read them it can turn out that article XX did not live up to my expectations, while article YY was more interesting than expected.
That's exactly what happens to me!
I fact we need more Brer Rabbit and less Maxey please Uncle Tony!! :D :wink:
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I'm looking forward to reading your take on Brother Rabbit, Pete!
Society Member
Boodi 2
Favourite book/series: The Five Find-outers, The Six Cousins
Favourite character: Ern

Post by Boodi 2 »

So am I!!!
Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

I'm a bit late this time due to various delays and obstacles happening but at last I can put fingers to keyboard on the subject of the magnificent Journal 77. I seem to use the same superlatives every issue but there is no alternative. Journal 77 is simply wonderful, amazing and packed with great articles.

I have no interest in the Billy Bobs stories but the tale of David Chambers' painstaking detective work was gripping and I loved the illustrations. These stories would be lost forever were it not for dedicated writers and researchers like David so hats off and many thanks to David for his work.

John Henstock is a reliable contributor ,always turning in well written and extremely interesting articles. His Thoughts on the Faraway Tree article this time was no exception. He put these well beloved and classic stories into perfect context with his comparisons to Edith Nesbit and his references to the wartime evacuation programme. And yes if you haven't read these books then take John's advice and get old copies if you can. Much better.

On to Anita's latest short stories article and another great treat. I know most of the stories she mentions and thoroughly enjoyed reading Anita's always knowledgeable take on them. It Came Back to Him in the End was one of the first Enid Blyton stories I ever read and so I had a wash of nostalgic delight when I saw that it was included. I look forward to the next round of seasonal stories next time.

Part Two of Angela Canning's Brer Rabbit in the Deep South was every bit as good as the first part and although I am somewhat indifferent to the charms of Brer and Co. I again enjoyed the historical aspect of the article very much.

Return to Rockingham by John Pickup was another excellent article on one of my favourite childhood books. I too would never have dared climb the rope up the iron bars with them breaking every few steps!! John says that Rockingdown House belongs in a ghost story. I agree completely. To me the spooky setting in the house was one of the book's great triumphs. The house almost became a character in it's own right. Hopefully John will tackle a few more books in the future.

It's hard to pick a best article in any edition of the Journal but I'll go out on a limb this time and award such a title to Time Venning's Smuggler's Top article. The fourth FF book is probably the best in the whole series and is my second favourite, just losing out to Treasure Island which I have a great attachment to. Tim expertly evokes the very special, almost noir-ish atmosphere of the book and gives a great insight into the (presumed) real life location in and around Rye. He mentions France's Mont St Michel; I'm also reminded of Cornwall's St Michaels Mount. An excellent article well worthy of this special book.

Ilsa produced yet another very clever and entertaining article with her Julian Receives an Unexpected Letter. I loved the way she cleverly wove Martin Curton with Edgar Stick and managed to bring about a happy ending to both episodes. And the cheeky reference to George and Sooty was very well placed too. :D

Lots of great articles and stories from the lady herself and then Judith Crabb's fascinating article on Enid's Writing for Children lesson. Was there any branch of writing that Enid did not turn her hand to I wonder?

A fabulous issue of our beloved EBS Journal then. Number 77 proudly takes it's place on the shelf with it's predecessors and hopefully it will be joined by many more. Thanks as always go to all the contributors and most especially to our tireless editor, archivist and chief bottle washer Tony without whose stellar efforts this wonderful society would not exist.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Judith Crabb
Favourite book/series: Boys' and Girls' Circus Book/Adventure Series

Post by Judith Crabb »

Today at 2pm Wednesday 30th March I was sitting down to a serve of Christmas pudding and hot custard (yes, I know, a bit late, but I keep my Christmas pudding until March or April when the temperature is more suitable - it becomes an Easter pudding). I looked around for something to read. I'd finished the newspaper, and the books I'm reading at the moment spring shut unless you've got two hands to deal with them. Something made me go and check the letterbox. Journal 77 had arrived! The earliest I've got a Spring issue. I have read the editorial - a shame that children are growing up without the sense of history that only exposure to old texts can give them - I was bemoaning this fact with an old farmer only yesterday, a G.A. Henty and Percy Westerman fan. And I've started on Billy Bob and agree that nothing is quite such fun as ferreting out otherwise lost information. I am so looking forward to some of the alluring sounding articles which have been referred to in this topic. So many of my favourites in one journal. I have Things To Do (renew my subscription for starters) this afternoon but come this evening....
Society Member
Boodi 2

Post by Boodi 2 »

I was fascinated by the article "Does it matter what children read?", especially the poem at the end! I noted that Enid Blyton underlined the fact that many of the American comics were intended for adults and therefore not suitable for children. I think that is a valid point with which I fully agree, as there is nothing wrong with comics per se (I hope I am a good example of that!) and in some cases they can even encourage a child to read, such as our son, who was very slow to start reading himself (we probably made it too easy for him by reading to him every night before bed) and it was not until he became addicted to the Beano and Lego Adventures that he became an avid reader!
Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

The poem at the end wasn't with the article, Boodi, I put it there as I thought it was relevant to what had gone before, but I have listed it separately on the contents page. As yet we have not been able to find our where it comes from and when it was written, which is why it isn't listed in the Cave. It comes from a loose page which was torn out of a magazine and it was in a box I have of Enid Blyton's own cuttings etc. As you can tell from the article by David Chambers in the Journal there is still a great deal to discover about Enid's work.
Boodi 2

Post by Boodi 2 »

Thanks for that information Tony! Although I saw the separate listing on the contents page I automatically assumed the article and poem belonged together. As you say, a huge amount of information about Enid's work still remains to be discovered and each new finding is fascinating, so many thanks to you and all the other intrepid researchers who are shedding new light on her literary output.
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

John Pickup wrote: David Chambers shows us the value of research with his excellent article about Billy-Bob. I've never come across this character which isn't surprising as the stories aren't very accessible. I liked collection of illustrations, particularly the ones by Lucy Gee.
Kate Mary wrote: The highlights for me were first and foremost David Chambers' article Finding Billy-Bob, an astonishing piece of research tracking down early stories in The Christian Science Monitor (if I remember rightly Joyce Lankester Brisley's Milly-Molly-Mandy also first appeared in that publication). David says of his tracking down Enid's Bible stories to a missionary magazine The Star in the East - " I'm quite certain it will be of little interest to most people". Well I'm fascinated by these obscure corners of Enid's work, so keep up the good work David.
I too love articles like David Chambers', which teach us a lot about Enid Blyton's stories and their origins. I only came across a handful of Billy-Bob stories as a child, in assorted short story collections, and it wasn't until I was an adult that I acquired Billy-Bob Tales (Dragon paperback) and was able to read the bulk of them. Lucy Gee's illustrations are charming and suit these sweet stories about the everyday dramas and discoveries of early childhood. As well as hearing about The Christian Science Monitor, it's intriguing to learn of some tales appearing in The Cairns Post and even The Australian Worker! I agree with Kate Mary that the Bible stories in The Star of the East are an interesting find as well, as are the other discoveries. The spread of different illustrators on pages 10-11 is lovely - all are attractive in their own way.

John Pickup wrote: Sunny Stories magazine was invaluable in its time. Many children would look forward eagerly to the next instalment of their favourite Enid series as it appeared each fortnight. But just as importantly, the magazine included Enid's letters which always seemed to be written especially for you. John Lester captures the essence of the magazine perfectly.
Yes, the warm personal touch that Enid Blyton brings to so much of her writing shines out in her magazines.

John Pickup wrote:The journal isn't just about the articles though. For me, the highlights tend to be the ephemera, letters and obscurities that Tony digs out for us every issue.
It really is a privilege to see these items, adding greatly to our knowledge of Enid's life and work.

Reading 'The Mind of a Child' from Onward, I realised it was familiar to me. The 1953 article forms the basis of another (but lengthened) article published in St. Martin's Review No. 758, May 1954. It's called 'Children's Reading' and was included in The Enid Blyton Society Journal No. 60, Summer 2016. Enid's comments are fascinating and her remark that "Children's reading begins to matter very much indeed when one's books go out to so many different children of all ages, classes, and races" shows that she was well aware by the 1950s that she was writing for a diverse and global audience.

Judith Crabb wrote: I have read the editorial - a shame that children are growing up without the sense of history that only exposure to old texts can give them - I was bemoaning this fact with an old farmer only yesterday, a G.A. Henty and Percy Westerman fan.
I too feel that I gained a fuller understanding of history (or certain periods of it!) from reading older texts than from anything I was taught at school. A great deal is lost when language and references are updated and key titles are no longer kept in print.

Tony Summerfield wrote: The poem at the end wasn't with the article, Boodi, I put it there as I thought it was relevant to what had gone before, but I have listed it separately on the contents page. As yet we have not been able to find our where it comes from and when it was written, which is why it isn't listed in the Cave. It comes from a loose page which was torn out of a magazine and it was in a box I have of Enid Blyton's own cuttings etc.As you can tell from the article by David Chambers in the Journal there is still a great deal to discover about Enid's work.
Oooh - a mystery to solve and discoveries yet to be made!

I'm glad so many people have shown an interest in or expressed an appreciation of Enid Blyton's short story 'It Came Back to Him in the End'. It has always been a favourite of mine.

I'll have more to say on the Journal when time allows! It's a wonderful issue, providing much to appreciate and discuss.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Well, what a truly wonderful Journal that was. Everytime I have sat down to read it uninterrupted whilst away on holiday something has come up to stop me.

The editorial confirmed what I have long privately believed. If you want authentic copies of Enid's books, buy the early editions.
Sad to see some books not being available in new editions. But, for many, many years the newest books by Enid I have been buying are ones from the 1960's & 70's.

David Chamber's research work is to be highly applauded. What a tenacious effort he has put into tracking down lesser-known/long-forgotten articles.
As he so rightly says: There is always more to learn.

The Mind of a Child by Enid Blyton
A most enjoyable article. My, how the whole world has changed since Enid wrote this article back in 1953.
"..he will identify himself with one or other of the characters."
Enid is spot on with this observation as when I was young I instantly identified my own character in Tom from The Adventurous Four, Dick from The Famous Five, Fatty from the Find-Outers, and of course Snubby from the Barney books!

I have to admit I was an avid reader of Enid's dreaded comics from a very early age. The Beano, The Dandy, Whizzer & Chips, Spider-Man, Iron-Man, Superman, and Batman were all bought for me weekly by my extremely generous grandfather.

He lavished me with heaps of pocket money and sweets too, which like Fatty's generous relatives enabled me to buy all of our little gang sweets and treats throughout the whole year.

Thoughts on the Faraway Tree by John Henstock
I always enjoy John's articles. This one was no exception. I have yet to read the book. I think it was read to my class in the juniors by a great teacher who definitely read Shadow The sheepdog to us at one point.

I love references to other books I have yet to read, and John's mention of The Case Of The Constant Suicides by JDC means I will now have to hunt that book down!

From My Window – No. 35: A Silver Morning by Enid Blyton
A lovely wintry depiction from Enid where everything is just right. I've had the opposite of one of those days today as absolutely everything I have attempted or tried to do has been a disaster!

Stories to Put a Spring in Your Step by Anita Bensoussane
This was well written in delectable bite-size chunks by our very own Anita. It was great to be reminded of stories I knew, and also very pleasurable to read about stories I have yet to read!

Brer Rabbit in the Deep South – Part 2 by Angela Canning
I didn't think I would, but I enjoyed this. Angela Canning is a great writer and I learnt a lot from this article that I found genuinely interesting.

Enid Blyton in The Morning Post – No. 3: Roses, Roses All the Way
Lovely to read something from so long ago. I love roses and carnations. I just wish roses lasted a bit longer when in bloom!

Return to Rockingdown by John Pickup
I re-read this article it was smashing as Snubby would say. I would love another article from John in the next issue.
I don't mind what subject he chooses. I dug out one of his previous articles about a lesser liked Seven Book for the Journal this week.
That was excellent too!

Book Review of Enid Blyton – A Literary Life by Judith Crabb
This was a great review by Judith. It made me want to buy the book right away - so many books, so little time (and money)!!

Five Go to Smuggler's Top by Tim Venning

This article was right up my street. Looking at the geography, history, and names of the people in the story, along with the imagined traveling times and locations.
The illustrations that pepper this story and the rest of the whole Journal are marvelous too. Words and good illustrations - you simply can't go wrong!
Yes, it was unusual for Block to be a manservant I suppose. Given the house and the era the book was written I think Enid just about gets away with it??

The Roaring 20's stories are always appreciated.
I must admit I had never even heard of Jig, Jog, and Bobolinks before!

Sunny Stories Through the Seasons – Part 1: Spring by John Lester
Another Journal writer whose work I always enjoy. I do agree with the sentiments on page 74 about April & May being favourite months.
They seem to hold so much promise of the year and warmer months ahead.
Part1: this would indicate we have a Part2 to look forward to from John, which is excellent news.

Little Treasures on our Website – No. 2: Evening Standard
Just one little page of the Journal (75), but I found this most enjoyable.
More Little Treasures in next month's issue, please!

Enid Blyton and School of Authorship: On Writing for Children by Judith Crabb
This was a very enjoyable article. Very well presented.
I am now going to check out the first lines of the four books mentioned on page 77!

An Early Enid Blyton Illustrator – Lewis Baumer
Knew absolutely nothing about this illustrator with his amazing pets, so this short article was a very informative read - thank you.

Book Page No. 42: Child Whispers – 100th Anniversary (80)
Great rear! Great to be able to say that in this PC age!
Surely Enid never imagined in her wildest years how far she would travel and how much she would achieve after that book was published.

Would she believe 100 years later that a group of advanced children would be re-reading, analysing and enjoying all her work in a special magazine dedicated to her genuine, lifelong fans!!

Many thanks once again to Tony and ALL the Journal contributors for a most enjoyable Journal!!

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I enjoyed Judith Crabb's review of Enid Blyton - A Literary Life as I recently read Andrew Maunder's book myself and found the snippets from letters, reviews, interviews, etc. extremely interesting. The book portrays Enid Blyton as a person with a growing sense of mission, who took her work seriously and was fully aware of the responsibility that came with writing for a huge audience of children all round the world. It's a readable volume which certainly adds to our picture of Enid Blyton, though I agree with Judith about the "omissions". I felt that Andrew Maunder wasn't very familiar with key Enid Blyton books that weren't among his chosen titles. For example, Enid Blyton's full-length "fantasy tales" are said to consist of Adventures of the Wishing-Chair, The Enchanted Wood and The Magic Faraway Tree! Those aren't the only titles in those series, and what about The Enid Blyton Book of Brownies, The Yellow Fairy Book, etc? Andrew Maunder also states that Enid doesn't mention her brothers in The Story of My Life, yet she writes in The Story of My Life about how she used to tell stories to her brothers when they were children. There's a reference to Jose, Click and Bun too, though that may be just a typo! Despite these anomalies, Enid Blyton - A Literary Life is an absorbing and informative read and I recommend it to anyone who is interested in the way Enid Blyton managed her career over the years.

Judith Crabb's other piece was also a good read. Enid Blyton's 12-page 'Writing for Children' lesson sounds fascinating. Many of her characters do come across as "real" and her stories are definitely page-turners and demonstrate an understanding of how it feels to be young, with school holidays heralding apparently endless days of freedom and limitless possibilities. Enid's examination of her own opening sentences is interesting, as is her advice to writers to familiarise themselves with all aspects of producing and selling books. Thanks, Judith - and Sue Berry! - for letting us know about this unusual item.

I'm glad Tim Venning chose to write about Five Go to Smuggler's Top as it's one of my favourite Famous Five titles, gloriously Gothic. I've visited Rye and I recall reading that Rumer Godden was another author who lived at Lamb House.

Ilsa Cheeseman's imaginative 'Unexpected Letter' was fun to read. It's nice to "catch up" with characters in this way and Ilsa has a talent for capturing the speech patterns of various characters.

'Jig, Jog, and Bobolinks' is an amusing tale with super illustrations by Janet E. Murray. Bobolinks and Goblin Fiery-eyes are wonderful character names!

Reading 'Little Treasures', I found it fascinating that there were so many uncollected Rubbalong strip stories in the Evening Standard. I like the letter from Enid Blyton explaining how the stories will appear.

The eye-catching Lewis Baumer photo shows him with his "Nigerian Bears", which look like hyraxes to me. Was "Nigerian Bears" a colloquial term for hyraxes back then, I wonder, or was it perhaps his own personal name for them?

I agree with John Henstock that the first two Faraway Tree titles must have provided much-needed escapism for children living through the horrors of war. I enjoyed reading his personal thoughts on the books. It's great to see Enid's 1938 letter from Sunny Stories, introducing the series. Did she draw the picture of Green Hedges, perhaps, or was that done by someone else?

'A Silver Morning' is a beautiful 'From My Window' piece, with the hoar frost resembling "embroidery" and "filigree" The final sentence is striking, with the frost retreating as the sun advances, "until at last it lay only in the shadows, grim and sulky, clutching at the gaps there with cold, stiff fingers." Far from being "banal" (as some critics have claimed), Enid Blyton was a very natural writer with a talent for breathing new life into things and making the reader look at them afresh.

Reading Angela Canning's Brer Rabbit article reminded me that I've often wondered whether the expression "Wull-of-the-Wust" is related in any way to "Will-o'-the-Wisp".

Turning to 'Roses, Roses All the Way', it's amazing that Enid had 37 items accepted for publication in the Morning Post between January 1925 and February 1926. Dorothy Perkins has always been a clothes shop to me (!) but I've just looked up the rose, which is pretty. The name of the shop was no doubt inspired by the rose. Enid's quaint, poetic musings are enjoyable.

'The Forgetful Squirrel' is sweet and it's good to be reminded (back cover of the Journal) that it's the 100th Anniversary of the publication of Enid Blyton's first book, Child Whispers. I'm pleased that children still love her books, though the removal of so many titles from the Blyton canon in recent years is sobering.

pete9012S wrote: 31 Mar 2022, 17:21 The Mind of a Child by Enid Blyton
"..he will identify himself with one or other of the characters."
Enid is spot on with this observation as when I was young I instantly identified my own character in Tom from The Adventurous Four, Dick from The Famous Five, Fatty from the Find-Outers, and of course Snubby from the Barney books!
That sums you up perfectly, Pete! :)

pete9012S wrote: 31 Mar 2022, 17:21 From My Window – No. 35: A Silver Morning by Enid Blyton
A lovely wintry depiction from Enid where everything is just right. I've had the opposite of one of those days today as absolutely everything I have attempted or tried to do has been a disaster!
And April Fool's Day hasn't even begun yet! :wink:

pete9012S wrote: 31 Mar 2022, 17:21 Book Page No. 42: Child Whispers – 100th Anniversary (80)
Great rear! Great to be able to say that in this PC age!
:lol:

pete9012S wrote: 31 Mar 2022, 17:21Surely Enid never imagined in her wildest years how far she would travel and how much she would achieve after that book was published.

Would she believe 100 years later that a group of advanced children would be re-reading, analysing and enjoying all her work in a special magazine dedicated to her genuine, lifelong fans!!
If only we could show Enid Blyton the Journal and this website!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Tony Summerfield wrote: 23 Mar 2022, 20:28
Courtenay wrote: 23 Mar 2022, 11:32 I haven't had mine yet... did I miss renewing my subscription? :shock: (I've just checked and I definitely informed Tony of my change of address last year, so it's not that.)
Your subscription ran out in July last year and you didn't renew and you therefore haven't had the last two Journals, 76 and 77. You actually posted about Journal 76 in its thread and got support for remarks from both Aussie Sue and Boatbuilder. I was pretty hurt by what you put as I am the person who spends many hours on every Journal, but I have never asked anybody to comment. You did send me your new address, but I didn't like to say that you hadn't even received Journal 76. In case you have forgotten this is what you wrote:-

"Maybe it's just me, but can I just say the constant guilt-mongering over people failing to comment on the latest Journal (this happens in the forums with almost every new issue) actually makes me feel LESS inclined to comment on the latest Journal?"
Dear Tony, I'm very sorry to have hurt your feelings, which I definitely never intended to do — that comment from last year was not aimed at you at all, and I hugely appreciate the amount of work you put into the Journal. I'm well aware that the putting together of every issue is done by a "one-man band" and you do a tremendous job each time. In that instance I wasn't addressing you personally at all, just reacting (rather harshly, I realise) to a string of comments by a number of long-standing EBS forum members on how so few people post comments about the latest Journal in the forums, with a pretty heavy implication that those who don't comment obviously don't really care about the Journal and about all the work you as editor put into it.

I haven't had nearly as much time in the past year or so to participate in the forums here as I used to, mainly because of a lot of things that have been happening in my life (most of them good, especially recently!). But I do still very much enjoy being part of the Enid Blyton Society and receiving and reading the Journal. Lack of commenting on it publicly does NOT mean I haven't found any of it worth reading!!! :wink: That's all I was really trying to say in the first place, and I'm sorry it came out in a way that you and perhaps others found upsetting.

I now realise the reason I didn't notice I hadn't received Journal 76 was that it would have been due right on top of my move from Kent to Cheshire last year, and I had so much else to think about in the months prior to that (it was a very difficult time for me) that I obviously forgot I hadn't responded to the renewal slip that must have come four months earlier with Journal 75.

I usually renew my subscription online via PayPal, but at the moment I'm right in the midst of planning another move and will have yet another change of address in less than two weeks' time!! Would it be OK if I hold off renewing until I'm in my new home, and then I'll very happily pay the renewal fee plus the extra £4.24 for a back copy of Journal 76? I'll be in touch with you via email once I've moved.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Having now read and commented on the Journal, I really enjoyed reading other subscribers thoughts on Journal 77 for the first time this morning:
Moonraker wrote: 14 Mar 2022, 13:26 ..I have already been inspired by John Henstock's Thoughts on the Faraway Tree, not to read it again, but to read John Dickson Carr's The Case of the Constant Suicides. I 'looked inside' on Amazon and read the first two chapters and was hooked! I have since downloaded it to my Kindle and will read it next!
Yes, me too Nigel!

Lucky Star wrote: 14 Mar 2022, 14:17 As usual I've dived straight into Tony's editorial; what a sad fate he relates for my beloved Secret series! :cry:
Yes, a travesty John, I totally agree.
Fiona1986 wrote: 14 Mar 2022, 22:09 Just imagine the joy of children in the UK in 2038 when suddenly a ton of Enid Blyton books they've never heard of suddenly become available, though.
Yes! I will still be a slip of a lad at seventy years of age then! :D
Jack400 wrote: 15 Mar 2022, 00:30 Billy-Bob was new, to me at least, and made for a pleasant read .
Yes, me too Jack!
Julie2owlsdene wrote: 15 Mar 2022, 17:28 I couldn't resist John's Rockingdown article which was very good and has actually inspired me to read that series again.
Thank you anyway to all who contributed and to Tony for another excellent looking Journal. :D

8)
Yes Julie, John's article made me want to re-read the series again too.
timv wrote: 17 Mar 2022, 09:29 My Journal has arrived and I've had time to read it; thanks to Tony for all his hard work (and for selecting the images that complement my article very well), and to my fellow-contributors.
I agree. The images that accompany the Journal articles are always excellent. Many I have never seen before, or for many years.
Anita Bensoussane wrote: 18 Mar 2022, 14:12

The atmosphere of Rockingdown Hall (or Manor) pervades the book and, like John, I enjoy the delicious air of gloom hanging over everything. I like his description of the building being "wreathed in tragedy and despair", rather like the House of Usher in Edgar Allan Poe's tale. The Rockingdown Mystery is an impressive start to an impressive series (or an impressive first four titles, at least). How sad that the Barney books are among the Blyton titles that appear to have been consigned to history.
This was sad to read as this book is one of my all-time fave's. I have a good selection of hardback and older paperback versions in my library thankfully!

John Pickup wrote: 18 Mar 2022, 20:00
Again, the star of the show belongs to the various pieces of ephemera and obscurities that make the journal so important to the true, dedicated Enid fan. Where else would you be able to read The Mind of a Child taken from "Onward" published by the National Union of Conservative and Constitutional Associations? I love what she says in this article about the effect of reading on a child's mind. She says, I get my main knowledge from the children themselves, the only sensible source. She never wavers in her belief that opinions from anyone over 12 years old are meaningless.
Where else would we learn about Lewis Baumer who only illustrated one work of Enid's? These and her contribution to the Morning Post in 1925 are invaluable and essential parts of the Journal and I must pay credit to Tony for including these items for us all to enjoy.

Many thanks to Tony for his hard work in producing another superb journal and also to the contributors for their excellent articles.
I totally agree with those sentiments, John!
Jack400 wrote: 18 Mar 2022, 22:36 Oh how I pity today's children. The "Six cousins at Mistletoe Farm" The "Adventurous Four " and the"Barney" series. I'm so glad I read/ was /exposed" to what? their corrupting influence?! Their nature lessons - delivered so subtly that it didn't feel like a lesson surely the best education possible.
Yes, I feel exactly as you do Jack - reading those books was a pleasure and certainly not a chore.
Boodi 2 wrote: 20 Mar 2022, 16:26 Unbelievable that it is already 100 years since "Child Whispers" was first published...the tribute on the back page was most apt. Thanks to Tony and all the contributors for a really splendid journal.
Yes, Boodi. 100 years - scary how time seems to go so quickly. Especially as we grow older..
Moonraker wrote: 20 Mar 2022, 17:19 I must say, I do enjoy reading people's thoughts and comments on each Journal, so thanks to them for taking the time to comment and share their views.
I totally agree Nigel. It is this sort of interaction and diverse feedback that truly makes me feel that I belong to a like-minded Society.

Kate Mary wrote: 23 Mar 2022, 15:08
Another highlight was Anita's "Stories to put a spring in your step". It had me tracking down the stories in my collection, I have them all except Buttercup Day and Anita includes some of my favourites Mr Grumpygroo's Hat, Tom the Scout-Cub and It Came Back To Him In The End. A summer selection next time perhaps Anita?

The Journal and the Cave are absolutely brilliant.

Kate
A summer selection is a great idea - no pressure Anita!! :D
Tony Summerfield wrote: 24 Mar 2022, 18:47 'Buttercup Day' awaits, bit by bit I hope to add all the Pennant Readers apart from the first four which I don't have copies of.

https://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/boo ... +Readers+8
Marvelous! I'm going to read that section now!
Judith Crabb wrote: 30 Mar 2022, 05:38 Today at 2pm Wednesday 30th March I was sitting down to a serve of Christmas pudding and hot custard...

..I've started on Billy Bob and agree that nothing is quite such fun as ferreting out otherwise lost information. I am so looking forward to some of the alluring sounding articles which have been referred to in this topic.
What a great image Judith - It's cold and frosty here in our holiday cottage. The log fire is blazing.
Christmas pudding right now would be just the ticket!
Lucky Star wrote: 29 Mar 2022, 15:10 I'm a bit late this time due to various delays and obstacles happening but at last I can put fingers to keyboard on the subject of the magnificent Journal 77. I seem to use the same superlatives every issue but there is no alternative. Journal 77 is simply wonderful, amazing and packed with great articles.

A fabulous issue of our beloved EBS Journal then. Number 77 proudly takes it's place on the shelf with it's predecessors and hopefully it will be joined by many more. Thanks as always go to all the contributors and most especially to our tireless editor, archivist and chief bottle washer Tony without whose stellar efforts this wonderful society would not exist.
John puts it very well. For genuine fans of Enid Blyton, The Journal certainly has no rival or no equal.
If you are a lurker who hasn't yet subscribed, what are you waiting for?!

You can subscribe here:
Fireside Journal
Curl up by the fire with a glass of lemonade and a plate of macaroons and read the Society's very own magazine, printed exclusively for members. The Enid Blyton Society Journal, published three times a year, is a quality magazine offering a wide mix of articles and features on all aspects of Enid Blyton's life and work, written by enthusiasts, collectors and authorities.

Current JournalJournal No. 77
Advice on collecting, comprehensive studies of the various series she wrote, the latest news and reviews, snippets of information and articles on aspects of her life: this makes up just a small part of what has become a colossal magazine.
https://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/fir ... ournal.php

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Courtenay wrote: 01 Apr 2022, 23:56 I usually renew my subscription online via PayPal, but at the moment I'm right in the midst of planning another move and will have yet another change of address in less than two weeks' time!! Would it be OK if I hold off renewing until I'm in my new home, and then I'll very happily pay the renewal fee plus the extra £4.24 for a back copy of Journal 76? I'll be in touch with you via email once I've moved.
That will be fine as I still have plenty of copies of 76 and 77. Send me a new address when you are ready if you haven't changed it on PayPal.