Journal 77

What did you think of the latest Journal?
Nick
Favourite book/series: Five on a Hike Together/Secret Seven
Favourite character: Dick & Susie

Journal 77

Post by Nick »

Is that a preview of Journal 77 that I can spy on the website?

The cover illustration looks fantastic, just what the doctor ordered after a long, dreary winter. Very “spring like” and I always find that the first journal of the year raises the spirits. Spring is on its way, warmer weather around the corner and the garden is just starting to come back to life.

I’ve had a quick scan through the articles and it looks like another bumper issue and I can’t wait for it to arrive!
Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Re: Journal 77

Post by pete9012S »

Thank you so much for the heads up Nick!
Here's the info about the upcoming Journal so we can see what articles we have in store:

https://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/jou ... isissue=77

Spring 2022 - 80 Pages

Cover illustration:
The cover picture is taken from the back cover of the abridged edition of The Bluebell Story Book, published by Latimer House on November 23rd 1953, illustrated by Grace Lodge.

Available to Society members only.

Here's a larger view of that lovely front cover:

Some great articles - Return To Rockingdown by the mighty pub crawling, book fair trawling Mr. John Pickup has already caught my eye!
Last edited by pete9012S on 04 Mar 2022, 21:53, edited 1 time in total.
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

The cover is lovely, and the articles sound intriguing. :D

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Looking forward to Judith's thoughts on Literary Life as I haven't even opened it yet!
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

This is a much improved pic of the next Journal cover that Tony has just kindly sent me.
I'm sure you'll agree if the contents are as good as this cover (which I'm sure they are) we are all in for a treat!
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Jomo
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George, Timmy, Anne

Post by Jomo »

Could we please announce this on the Facebook page, which has been long neglected, never know we may generate some more subscriptions if we put it out there occasionally.
“To grow up in intimate association with nature – animal and vegetable – is an irreplaceable form of wealth and culture.” 
~Miles Franklin, Childhood At Brindabella: My First Ten Years
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

A gorgeous cover and the contents sound wonderfully varied. Looking forward to it!

pete9012S wrote: 04 Mar 2022, 13:36Some great articles - Return To Rockingdown by the mighty pub crawling, book fair trawling Mr. John Pickup has already caught my eye!
Ah, is that what John has been up to? I was saying to Tony the other day that we hadn't seen him for a while. Glad he's been having fun but hope he looks in soon!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Looks fantastic but then it always does of course. That cover is simply gorgeous.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Boodi 2
Favourite book/series: The Five Find-outers, The Six Cousins
Favourite character: Ern

Post by Boodi 2 »

I am really looking forward to receiving my copy. especially as dear old Brer Rabbit is featured again!
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Jomo wrote: 05 Mar 2022, 05:49 Could we please announce this on the Facebook page, which has been long neglected, never know we may generate some more subscriptions if we put it out there occasionally.
It seems your suggestion has been taken up!
Society Member
Boatbuilder
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Famous 5, Secret Seven, Five Findouters

Post by Boatbuilder »

A nice surprise just arrived through my door - Journal 77. Thanks Tony. :D
"You can't change history as that won't change the future"

John's Pictures of Suffolk - https://suffolk-world.com/

Society Member
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

My copy has just arrived and the first thing I did, even before reading Tony's editorial, was to renew my subscription using Paypal.
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

A fine-looking Journal. I have only devoured the first 25 pages, but have already been inspired by John Henstock's Thoughts on the Faraway Tree, not to read it again, but to read John Dickson Carr's The Case of the Constant Suicides. I 'looked inside' on Amazon and read the first two chapters and was hooked! I have since downloaded it to my Kindle and will read it next! This aside, a great article, John.

An excellent editorial by the Great Man and I loved Enid's article, The Mind of a Child. How I agree with her opinions.
Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Journal 77 has landed safely in Surrey and as Nigel said it looks very fine indeed. As usual I've dived straight into Tony's editorial; what a sad fate he relates for my beloved Secret series! :cry: I shall have to go and read these wretched guidelines that the books have fallen foul of. I mean, I can understand that The Secret Mountain is out of favour due to Mafumu and his rather subserviant attitude towards Jack but what on earth is the problem with Spiggy Holes, Killimooin, and Moon Castle? They don't feature anything that could be called racist surely? :evil:

Anyway the rest of the Journal looks mouthwatering and I shall get to grips with it over the coming days. And what a lovely tribute to Child Whispers on the back cover. One hundred years since our heroine published her first book. Anyone got an actual copy of it?
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Yes, how sad that children today will believe that The Secret Island is a stand-alone book! (At least in places that copyright hasn't expired yet). Just imagine the joy of children in the UK in 2038 when suddenly a ton of Enid Blyton books they've never heard of suddenly become available, though.

I enjoyed Judith's article about Andrew Maunder's book (which I must actually read) and of course Tim's one about Smuggler's Top.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member