Journal 76

What did you think of the latest Journal?
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Journal 76

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

timv wrote: 19 Nov 2021, 09:22My Journal has now arrived , and was full of interesting pieces as usual; thanks to Tony and all the contributors. (Also to Fiona for her news about the Enid Blyton group on Facebook. I tend to treat that institution with some suspicion, not least as its new author fan groups have taken over a lot of members from some existing author fan clubs on the internet eg Monica Edwards and Antonia Forest, and outsiders can't view posts! Ditto the original Old Students group club for my old secondary school, which has replace the original one where I could see what was being written without having to join the group . A thought-provoking editorial from Tony; if more articles are needed I can put in some of my pieces on the Blyton family books or even on the Famous Five and the Adventure series, which are intended for my still-delayed Blyton book.
I regard things posted on Facebook as being largely "of the moment". It's a useful platform for sharing photos and snippets of news but not for storing detailed information that people will want to access again. I read Tony's concerns and Fiona's response with interest and it's somewhat disconcerting to hear what has happened to the fan clubs of other authors such as Monica Edwards and Antonia Forest, Tim. Enid Blyton's books have remained remarkably popular when compared to the books of most other authors of her era (or at least certain series and short stories have remained popular, despite others being sadly sidelined in recent years as outlined in 'Six of the Best'!) Because of Enid Blyton's continued popularity, I hope there will always be fans who will be interested in having meatier discussions and in being able to access a wealth of organised and illustrated information about her life and works. Only time will tell.

Enid Blyton conveys the joy of shopping for presents and keeping happy secrets in her 'From My Window' column, and it's lovely to see the "birth" of Enid Blyton's Sunny Stories with the statement (in the Woman's Own advert) that it "contains no frightening or other undesirable elements."

I like the memorial to Joel Chandler Harris depicted in Angela Canning's article, though I find his prose better than his verse! It's interesting that Enid Blyton removed references to spitting and fleas!

Enid Blyton's nature stories from the Sunday Mail sound like gems. As a child, I was a fan of the 'Pip the Pixie' nature tales so I'm sure I'd have loved the Sunday Mail ones too. Enid really does have a way with words - "a great cloud of swift-winged birdism" (from 'The Swallow's Journey is Really Necessary') is delightful.

In 'Enid Blyton, Influencer', Judith Crabb voices some thought-provoking comments on Enid Blyton and her influence. Although I haven't read L. T. Meade's Beyond the Blue Mountains, I've long wondered whether it might have been an inspiration for Enid Blyton's The Land of Far-Beyond.

I also like Judith's remark about an old book enabling us to "hold the past in our own hands".

Although I didn't read The Land of Far-Beyond as a child, I read a great deal of Enid Blyton's output and was impressed by the strong sense of fairness that runs through her work - through the Pink-Whistle stories, the cautionary tales about naughty children (or naughty toys or fairy-folk), tales of farm and circus communities, adventure and mystery books, school stories and family books like The Family at Red-Roofs, in which Jenny Wren repeatedly utters 'Fair's fair.'" Nowadays we hear of people on social media who describe themselves as "influencers" but Enid Blyton has influenced generation after generation of youngsters and continues to do so more than fifty years after her death.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

The letter to Reverend Mannington Sayers shows Enid Blyton's youthful enthusiasm and her unbridled joy at seeing her very first books published. It's funny to see her using the word "kiddies"! How unusual to come across such an early letter with the Southernhay address!

'When Julie Ran Away' is an emotional story with a powerful message. I know I'd have enjoyed it if I'd read it as a child. I did the Famous Five Overseas Puzzle too, which appears near the end of the story.

Like William Ferguson, I sometimes wonder what happened to Timmy (Famous Five) before he was adopted by George. It's hard to imagine the two of them leading lives apart from one another as the bond between them is so strong.

Judith Crabb gives a balanced review of Brian Carter's Enid Blyton - The Untold Story, praising the "admirably grounded focus on Blyton's texts" and Brian's reinstatement of Enid Blyton "as a high-profile educational influencer" but also noting his over-enthusiasm for the arcane. I must re-read the book when I have the chance as I only ever read it in draft form.

Incidentally, I meant to say thanks for all the illustrations you used for my article, Tony - they look absolutely smashing.

Society Member
Nick
Favourite book/series: Five on a Hike Together/Secret Seven
Favourite character: Dick & Susie

Post by Nick »

I’ve finally managed to spend some quality time with the journal today. A thoroughly enjoyable read as always.

Many thanks to those who contributed this time around.
Society Member
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Lenoir »

I have just carefully opened the envelope containing my copy. Looking forward to some excellent reading.
Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

Lenoir wrote: 02 Dec 2021, 17:34 I have just carefully opened the envelope containing my copy. Looking forward to some excellent reading.
You won't be disappointed Lenoir. Once again, the Journal contains a feast of good things and enough variety to please everyone. I enjoyed reading Anita's article. I've never been as keen on short stories as on the full length books but I was certainly interested enough to search out some of the stories she mentions and have read them with renewed pleasure.
I liked Judith Crabb's articles very much. I was much impressed by "The Land of Far Beyond" as a child and have read it quite a few times since. I still have not read "Pilgrim's Progress" though, on which the book is based!
Never a fan of Brer Rabbit, however Angela Canning made me take another look at him!
Thanks once again to Tony for his meticulous work and the many illustrations which enhance the Journal so much.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Happy Reading, Lenoir!

I'm glad you enjoyed searching out some of Enid Blyton's short stories, Daisy. She wrote such a variety that there's something for everyone. As a child I particularly liked her cautionary tales about naughty children, her stories about Mr. Pink-Whistle "putting things right", her tales of children who encountered the "little folk" and her re-tellings of Greek Myths and Tales of the Arabian Nights.

I only discovered The Land of Far-Beyond in my thirties but found it impressive nevertheless. It has an epic, poetic quality but still has the readability and immediacy that characterise so much of Enid's writing.

Society Member
Anne Gracie

Post by Anne Gracie »

My journal arrived last week. With it, the reminder that my subscription is due once again. Unfortunately I won’t be renewing it at this stage.. but I may do so in the future. My apologies to Tony and the contributors. I do cherish the ones I have and have them proudly displayed, and to take down and read a random article or two occasionally. I also don’t know about others, but I also love to pencil colour in the black and white heart-warming illustrations. :wink:
Aussie Sue
Favourite book/series: Secret Island, Faraway Tree & FindOuter Series

Post by Aussie Sue »

Gosh Anne Gracie and Judith Crabb have received their Journal 76 in Australia but no sign of mine yet. Looking forward to receiving it.

Sue
Society Member
Aussie Sue

Post by Aussie Sue »

Tony, I assume as I haven't received Journal 76 I my subscription must have runout. I don't recall receiving the renewal notice in the last magazine, I usually pay as soon as I receive that. If that is the problem, can you let me know how much my next payment is and I'll pay immediately.
Thanks Aussie Sue
Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I'm sorry that your Journal hasn't arrived yet, Sue, but I posted about 30 Journals to Australia including yours. So far Anne Gracie is the only person to say that her Journal had arrived, and she only did that to say that she wouldn't be resubscribing! You said that Judith Crabb has received her Journal but I wasn't aware of that before you said so.

Because of Covid the post at the moment is shocking everywhere. Two days ago I was contacted by someone from another part of the world saying that their Journal hadn't arrived and could I please send her the tracking number. I hadn't even managed to reply to her to tell her that I didn't use tracking numbers as apart from the work involved it would almost double the postage, when I received a second email telling me to ignore the first one as her Journal had just arrived!!

In view of the situation with post worldwide I am reluctant to send another one yet but I promise you will get 76 at some stage as I do still have plenty of copies. I have already sent a replacement copy to someone who complained that she hadn't had it and the day after I sent it she emailed me again to say please don't send another as my copy has just arrived - she ended up with two and probably just threw one away.
Judith Crabb
Favourite book/series: Boys' and Girls' Circus Book/Adventure Series

Post by Judith Crabb »

Yes, I got my Journal more than a week ago and should have mentioned it but was temporarily distracted because I had promptly mislaid it. As I always do, I opened it immediately (to admire the illustrations Tony chose for my article). Then I read Tony's own contribution which I enjoyed. That night I couldn't find it. I had what I thought was a good look and decided that it was not lost, simply temporarily mislaid and that it would 'turn up' just as my lanyard of keys did last month after a week of inconvenience, but before I had to explain to the bloke who mows the lawn why I couldn't unlock the garden gate. I had another look last Sunday as I'd promised to lend it to Monica and I was visiting that afternoon. Still no luck. On Wednesday I was visiting Monica again and this time I refused to give up. It turned up between two large Art books which were among a heap of books which I'd forgotten that I'd re-shelved to make my desk usable. I'm amazed that I hadn't noticed it. It was squashed flat but otherwise unharmed. I visit again today and will collect the journal and am looking forward very much to reading it.
I've always thought that someone should invent a book-locator (just as I use the landline to find my mobile).
Society Member
Aussie Sue

Post by Aussie Sue »

Tony Summerfield wrote: 18 Dec 2021, 12:57 I'm sorry that your Journal hasn't arrived yet, Sue, but I posted about 30 Journals to Australia including yours. So far Anne Gracie is the only person to say that her Journal had arrived, and she only did that to say that she wouldn't be resubscribing! You said that Judith Crabb has received her Journal but I wasn't aware of that before you said so.

Because of Covid the post at the moment is shocking everywhere. Two days ago I was contacted by someone from another part of the world saying that their Journal hadn't arrived and could I please send her the tracking number. I hadn't even managed to reply to her to tell her that I didn't use tracking numbers as apart from the work involved it would almost double the postage, when I received a second email telling me to ignore the first one as her Journal had just arrived!!

In view of the situation with post worldwide I am reluctant to send another one yet but I promise you will get 76 at some stage as I do still have plenty of copies. I have already sent a replacement copy to someone who complained that she hadn't had it and the day after I sent it she emailed me again to say please don't send another as my copy has just arrived - she ended up with two and probably just threw one away.
Thank you for your response Tony. Now I know it was posted I'll just wait, as we know the postal situation is dreadful at the moment, It was only that Judith lives nearby & has hers that made me think perhaps I hadn't paid. I think it is usually when I receive this one that my payment is due. What a topsy turvy world we live in now.
Society Member
Judith Crabb

Post by Judith Crabb »

While I understand that any editor would prefer a surplus of contributions rather than too few, if the shortage results in more delightful articles from Tony such as 'Six of the Best', which I relished, as an avid reader I'd put up with it.
Read from cover to cover ('Six of the Best' twice), Journal 76 was a great comfort read and a visual feast as well. This year my Christmas reading will consist of most of the great list of great Enid Blyton short stories Anita provided 7th Oct when I asked for 'The Best Short Stories by Enid Blyton ' on the Miscellaneous forum. I got a preview of the pleasure ahead for me from Anita's article 'Winter Warmers' (On her recommendation I heated my Christmas mince pies today, purchased from a great Adelaide bakery Pit-a-Pat. Always good, they are astonishingly so when heated - brings out the spiciness. I had no idea people ate them hot.) From her empathic descriptions I have a feeling that 'Father Time and His Pattern Book' and 'The Sneezing Dog' are going to top my list of the Best, too. Angela Canning's article and Enid's story 'Brer Fox's nice new Scarf' refreshed my memories of the wily rabbit, William Ferguson's character study was a timely and endearing reminder of the importance of the canine component of the Five. John Henstock included in his article one of my favourite 'stand-alone' titles from childhood reading, 'Holiday House'. I must re-read it.

To be continued....
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

It's good to hear that you enjoyed your hot mince pies, Judith - and your Journal, of course!

I like Holiday House as it has an unsettling atmosphere and Ruth is an interesting character. It's an adventure book but also deals with family matters.

Society Member
Judith Crabb

Post by Judith Crabb »

I thought that the inclusions by Enid Blyton herself were especially interesting this time, both stories and ephemera. I'm not surprised that 'When Julie Ran Away' is an 'uncollected' story. It is a story about domestic violence resolved when Julie accepts her bullying brother's promises that he is a reformed character, not a comfortable conclusion in the light of what we now know about domestic violence. (I have a similar problem with Australian John Marsden's Australian Children's Book of the Year prize-winner 'So Much to Tell You' (1987) in which the author attempts to rustle up sympathy for the father by having the daughter align herself with him against her mother.) In 'A Letter from Enid Blyton No. 29' I was curious as to what book by Mannington Sayers 'was published in such a disastrous year'. It was 'The Rose Tree of a Thousand Years and other legends' collected and retold by Sayers, and published in 1914. What a different world we'd be living in if 1914 had, as they say today, been cancelled in advance. Later in the letter Enid refers to the 'Saman Folk Tales', presumably the same book. Saman?? Has anyone any clues about this? This journal even had an advertisement which provided a moment of exhilaration. Fancy coming across a quantity of mint-in-dust-jacket copies of the 1956 edition of 'The Secret of Killimooin'. A real time warp - not just holding the past in your hands, but holding the past in your hands as if the 65 years since had never occurred. The only hardcover in my set to lack its jacket is 'Spiggy Holes', so I was not tempted to be extravagant.
And thank you for the kind comments about my contributions in the posts above, which I read with great enjoyment (not just the positive comments of course).
Society Member