Journal 76

What did you think of the latest Journal?
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Re: Journal 76

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I've read my copy of the Journal now. Another lovely read. Enid's From My Window was very good. Such simple and well thought of Christmas presents, not forgetting puppy Bob's bone either. :lol:

I loved the story - When Julie Ran Away. I would have stayed away a lot longer if I had a brother like Terence.

Anita's Winter Warmers was very good. I'm now searching for the story - The Sneezing Dog, and seeing also in the Cave, I can look for a book called The Sneezing Dog and other stories.

I've not got Brian Carter's book about Enid, but did read the review. As I have Barbara Stoney's book on Enid, Imongen's book, and George Greenfield, I doubt I'll buy anymore, mainly because of space too. I'm happy with the books I have. But I'm sure Brian's book is a good read.

Anyway, thanks to all who contributed to this Journal. And thanks again to Tony for a great Journal once more.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Boodi 2
Favourite book/series: The Five Find-outers, The Six Cousins
Favourite character: Ern

Post by Boodi 2 »

Boatbuilder wrote: 19 Nov 2021, 01:02
Boodi 2 wrote: 18 Nov 2021, 15:30 Mine arrived this morning too, which is surprising as mine has a much longer journey.
Perhaps Tony used a carrier pigeon to deliver it, Monique, or maybe even Kiki... :D
Good idea John, that (or perhaps a drone!) would explain the quick delivery!

I am glad I did not read the editorial before my beloved Brer Rabbit! Mind you,the Facebook group is totally irrelevant for me as I have never been a member of Facebook, which I avoid like the plague :roll:
Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

What a great Journal so far. I loved John Henstock's varied article incorporating Enid Blyton, Agatha Christie and the two very differing House books. And what a lovely crop of illustrations too.

The story of Brer Rabbit and his new scarf made me laugh out loud. What a rascally pair Brer Wolf and Brer Fox are. As usual though they get their comeuppance. I skipped ahead after that to read the very appropriate Brer Rabbit in the Deep South by the ever interesting Angela Canning. A fascinating article. I'm not a huge Brer Rabbit fan so most of the stories and characters Angela wrote about were new to me. It was an excellent read and I learned lots new about where the stories came from. Thanks Angela.

Judith Crabb produced another wonderful article on Enid the Influencer. I got really into the story of Monica and her books and of course it's logical that Australian kids missed out on so many new Blyton titles during the war. I just never pondered that before. Judith also gave us a great review of the new Blyon book, The untold Story.

Anita's article on Winter Warmers was predictably an excellent read featuring many of my old favourites like Connie's Curious Candle and He didn't say Thank You. The Sneezing Dog is not one I've read before but sounds great. And of course Father Time and His Pattern Book is another old fave. I shall have to look them out as the nights grow darker.

Timmy Best Dog in the World by Willian Ferguson really brought our favourite canine to life and reminded me of many of Timmy's finest moments throughout the FF series.

Lots of great content from Enid herself in this edition for which I am always grateful and some lovely pictures and memorabilia as well. I particularly loved the centrepages. A lovely poem and very appropriate and evocative illustration by Elsa da Costa. Both new to me.

A wonderful and eclectic mix of the old and the new this time then, all put together with the usual style and quality. So sad to hear that subscriptions are dropping; I'll never understand how any Blyton fan can see the Journal and not fall in love with it. Oh well. Thanks as always go to all the contributors and most especially to Tony for holding it all together in these difficult times and getting such a superb edition out on time. Roll on 77.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Boodi 2
Favourite book/series: The Five Find-outers, The Six Cousins
Favourite character: Ern

Post by Boodi 2 »

I am really enjoying Journal 76 and still have a few articles left to read. I especially liked Six of the Best and Winter Warmers. Witch Grufflum's Plum Pudding was new to me but I loved how the spell ended up coming back to the one who made it. Terence in "When Julie Ran Away" is very nasty indeed and I was almost sorry that his father did not become aware of his bullying behaviour. As a child I was always slightly disappointed that such "happy endings" did not seem to happen in real life (or at least in my life), but perhaps not everyone was as successful at turning over a new leaf as that Enid Blyton 'fan from Leicestershire in 1953. As Lucky Star mentioned above, it is sad that subscriptions are dropping as it is difficult to understand how any Blyton fan can fail to appreciate the Journal and the hard work that goes into it. Once again many thanks to Tony and all the contributors for yet another splendid publication.
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Lucky Star wrote: 20 Nov 2021, 15:35 What a great Journal so far. I loved John Henstock's varied article incorporating Enid Blyton, Agatha Christie and the two very differing House books.
I have just read this article: what a corker! I have a vintage copy of Holiday House on my shelves and I don't recall ever reading it. I am about to correct that! I loved the comparisons with my other favourite author, Agatha Christie. I have often noticed similarities between AC and EB - writing style as well as plot devices. Cat Among the Pigeons is one of my all-time favourite Christie's.

More to read and comment on later!
Society Member
Jack400
Favourite book/series: Famous Five / Five Find-Outers

Post by Jack400 »

I received my copy yesterday (along with the renewal invite) will attend to both very soon, but just wanted to add my thanks to Tony and all contributors. So far I've read Tony's editorial (worrying) and "fallen leaves" - how true!
Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

A wonderful Journal. One that helped me while away a long afternoon on Friday.
So many good articles. Thanks to every single contributor and of course Tony for putting it all together.

Where to start?
Why not the sumptuous rear:

A great pertinacious rear, that succeeds admirably.

I did not even know about this 1961 game before I received the Journal, did you?
I would have loved to have received it when little - hours of fun.

I decided to check out the game in more detail by consulting the cave:

https://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/boo ... Roll-Em-Up

It doesn't seem possible to buy the game online (at present).
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

I usually take my time in reading the Journal but this issue arrived just as I had finished one book and before I started another so I read it in a couple of days.

I liked John Henstock's article and decided I must re-read Holiday House, it must be at least 10 years since I last read it. Anita's Winter Warmers was a delightful read, she included several of my favourite short stories; Connie's Curious Candle, Santa Claus is surprising, Father Time and his Pattern Book, I determined to read all of them as I have them in various collections except for 'One New Year's Eve' which is uncollected and was only ever published in Sunny Stories in 1952. (Please Mr Editor, may we have it in next year's winter Journal?) The extract Anita included was very tempting.

Tony is being too modest, his Six of the Best was excellent. It is a shame that some of Enid's best work is out of print in the UK and likely to remain so. It's heartening however to see that the Barney books and the Secret series including The Secret Mountain have been reprinted recently in India. When I worked in public libraries I noticed that children of Indian heritage were more enthusiastic borrowers of Enid Blyton books that other children.

I think I'll conclude before this post turns into an essay and bores everyone rigid. I'll just say again thanks to all the contributors, I can't mention all the articles, but I read and enjoyed them all. And thank you to Tony for putting it all together and including so many stories and bits and pieces by The Lady herself.

Long may the Journal continue.

Kate
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Lovely sentiments Kate Mary

. Timmy, the Best Dog in the World by William Ferguson (62)

What a smashing, well researched article this was. I always enjoy William's articles.
A grand overview of Tim's successes, and yes the occasions too he was overpowered by villains, or became injured.

How many noticed the superb Maxey pic of Timmy in this article? Not often you see a Betty Maxey illustration in an Enid Blyton Society Journal, but maybe from now on each Journal could include at least one??

(Well a man has got to have a dream hasn't he!!!) :D
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

Despite Tony's misgivings about the paucity of articles, Journal 76 has proved to be another cracker.

John Henstock's comparison of Enid's work with Agatha Christies and his subsequent review of Holiday House was very interesting and has whetted my appetite to read this book, one I have never read before.

I, too, enjoyed reading about Monica and her books and fair to say, I hadn't realised that children down under wouldn't have had access to Enid's early series because of the war.
Judith Crabb also gives us a critical review of Brian Carter's new book, I have a copy which I dip into from time to time.

Anita's winter warmers was excellent. I don't own a great amount of the short story collections but Anita makes the stories she's chosen come alive and there's some there I really must check out.

What can you say about Timmy that William Ferguson hasn't? After being reminded of his many exploits, he surely must be the greatest dog in the world!

I thought that Tony's six of the best was going to be a punishment for us all but thankfully not. Regarding the Billy Bunter books he refers to, I have 37 of the 38 hardbacks. One to get! His choices I largely agree with, but if I had written this, The Valley of Adventure would have been included. It's a great shame that wonderful books like the Secret Mountain and Rubadub Mystery are no longer available to buy.

For me, as always, the real stars of the Journal are the ephemera. The letter from Enid is delightful, you can tell how excited and pleased she is that her books are starting to be published. And the letter is nearly 100 years old!
The advert in Woman's Own for Sunny Stories, Enid's column explaining this new series, the poem from the Cassell's Children's Annual from 1924 and the short nature story from the Sunday Mail about Swift Wings the swallow, where else could you see and read these pieces without the journal? And the uncollected short story about Julie's nasty brother?

Many thanks to all the contributors and Tony for providing us with yet another marvellous journal. I would urge any guest reading this thread who is genuinely interested in Enid Blyton to join the Society without delay so you can share in the life and work of The Lady herself.
Society Member
Hannah

Post by Hannah »

My journal arrived on Saturday but I've only managed to read the first few pages so far.

I'm on Facebook but I don't post much. Discussions are difficult to follow because you have to click here and then there and then back and … it's confusing.
I don't post much in the book threads here either because most things have already been said and I somehow also don't like to add something to a thread where the last entry was years ago - though maybe I should dig some threads out :).

I've never read Agatha Christie so I can't say much about the influence she might have had on Blyton or the other way round. I liked Holiday House when I discovered it a few months ago. Unfortunately I don't have the Happy House books (but I will read Benjy and the others which was provided in another thread a soon as possible).
Society Member
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

I bought the Collins "The Happy House Children" edition which included both books at ebay several years ago https://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/boo ... e+Children. I don't know if this version abridged the stories though.
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

John Pickup wrote: 23 Nov 2021, 17:09 I thought that Tony's six of the best was going to be a punishment for us all but thankfully not. His choices I largely agree with, but if I had written this, The Valley of Adventure would have been included.
The Valley of Adventure is rated highly by many Blyton readers, John, but I couldn't include it in my article as I deliberately picked twelve books that were all currently out of print (and some possibly permanently so! :cry:). The Valley of Adventure has of course never been out of print. Although I approved of the titles mentioned in my article, I was simply listing books that other readers had chosen in the forums at some stage or other.
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

Yes, I can see why Valley couldn't be included, Tony, and I'm so pleased that the book is still in print.
I do wish the Barney books could be republished. This series, especially the first four books, is exceptionally strong with an emotional back story and equal amounts of comedy, danger, mystery and magical surroundings.
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I've finished reading Journal 76 and have left it lying on the coffee table to dip into again at leisure, as the cheery cover brightens these dark winter days. Having received the Journal for many years, I must say I gain an enormous amount of information and pleasure from it - and it's always a feast for the eyes as well as for the brain. What a shame to hear of subscriptions declining and contributions being thin on the ground. Thanks to everyone who has mentioned my 'Winter Warmers' article. I had fun writing it as it was the perfect excuse to revisit some of my much-loved short story collections from childhood.

I too feel that Tony's 'Six of the Best' is an absorbing but sobering reflection on the disappearance of a number of Enid Blyton favourites. The background to Boys' & Girls' Circus Book is intriguing and it's terrible to think that the book has been overlooked for so long. As for the deliberate removal of The Secret Mountain from the Secret series, it's shocking. I agree with Tony that the themed short story compilations are a great idea but it's very sad that, as far as the novels/chapter books are concerned, the most profitable series keep on being reprinted while others are neglected. Like you, John (Pickup), I consider the Barney series to be very strong, especially the first four books.

John Henstock's article is a great read and I find myself agreeing with several points. Yes, I wish I had a doctor like the ones in Enid Blyton's stories, who often prescribe a holiday following an illness. When I had measles as a child in the 1970s, normal life resumed as soon as the rash cleared!

John makes an interesting observation about readers often being introduced to the more ordinary child characters before meeting the wilder/problematic/extraordinary ones. Holiday House is a fascinating book as it's an adventure story with family issues woven into it, and Ruth in particular is quite a complex character. Sadly, Holiday House was incorporated into the Riddle series so hasn't been published in its original form for decades. Even as a child, I noticed the confusion about whether the baby was a girl or a boy!

Enid Blyton looks elegant and full of contentment in the photo of her outside Old Thatch (p. 11). What a beautiful place to sit and type.

It's a privilege to see items which Enid originally published under her pseudonyms Becky Kent, "Christopher" and Audrey Saint Lo. 'Brer Fox's Nice New Scarf' is mildly amusing but not one of the cleverest Brer Rabbit tales, though I'm struck by the opening sentence about Brer Rabbit "sitting smoking at the door of his cottage". I doubt you'd find such a casual mention of smoking these days in a book aimed at small children!

'A Trip to Pixie Town' is a whimsical little poem, enhanced by Elsa Da Costa's enchanting illustrations which add to the magical atmosphere. I'd love a boat like that!

As for 'Witch Grufflum's Plum Pudding' it's my favourite of the three pieces published using pseudonyms. I don't want to give away too much but it's the sort of story that is immensely satisfying to read - a bit like eating a slice of rich plum pudding! And Grufflum is a wonderful name!

I've more to say but will carry on in a separate post!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member