Journal 74

What did you think of the latest Journal?
Boatbuilder
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Famous 5, Secret Seven, Five Findouters

Re: Journal 74

Post by Boatbuilder »

The page number is always given below the log-in box as shown:
https://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/secret-passage.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"You can't change history as that won't change the future"

John's Pictures of Suffolk - https://suffolk-world.com/

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

Another marvellous journal completed. I think Tony's editorial is his best yet! Love the Avocado van.
Ilsa's article about growing up with Enid loosely followed my own experiences. My mother encouraged me to read Enid's books and, like Ilsa, reading the books in the right order wasn't important, it was practically impossible. I just borrowed from the library whichever titles were on the shelves.

I enjoyed William Ferguson's rogues gallery of criminals and their links to real-life villains. The FF certainly came up against some enterprising crooks, all carefully crafted by Enid.

Although I was never a great fan of the TV series, I always enjoy seeing the photos of places used in the locations and Tim Venning knows his stuff.

I've got all three Naughtiest Girl books but haven't yet read them so John Henstock's article is a nice little mouth-waterer. I'm a big fan and collector of Billy Bunter and Jennings so it will be interesting to compare their schools with Elizabeths.

I don't possess any of the Holiday books but I've alw
ays admired the artwork on the wrappers. The story, The Secret Door sounds really thrilling and Angela Canning writes fondly of this book.

One of my favourite pieces in this journal is The Play's Not The Thing. To see something not in the public eye for over 60 years and not normally associated with Enid Blyton is quite amazing. The resume of the characters and the first act from scene one intrigued me, such a shift away from Noddy and Enid's other famous characters. If we ever have another Enid Blyton day, perhaps some of us could recreate this play. I reckon I could play Peter Johnson.

I should have liked a school lesson based on a Secret Seven book as Judith Crabb describes. I think I would have gained top marks there for a change.

Where the journal really makes its mark for me is the inclusion of pieces such as the images sent in by Jessie Ray's grandson, Enid's identity card and the uncollected stories. And, quite appropriately, the Teachers World article about bluebells. No one can describe the beauty of nature so colourfully and eloquently as Enid does.

Many thanks to all the contributors and to Tony for his fine work in putting it all together. I do feel that the journal is the glue that holds the society together. Long may it continue.
Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

John Pickup wrote: I do feel that the journal is the glue that holds the society together. Long may it continue.
Hear hear. I agree completely.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Hear Hear!

Any regular posters who have not yet subscribed to the Journal would be most welcome, wouldn't they everybody?

Here's a link to the subscription page:
https://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/fir ... ournal.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Hannah

Post by Hannah »

Wolfgang wrote:If you want to log in to the secret passage, there's a tip about the password.
Boatbuilder wrote:The page number is always given below the log-in box as shown:
https://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/secret-passage.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks, Wolfgang and boatbuilder, somehow I missed the hint under the box. Now I know where to look for it in the future.
Society Member
Judith Crabb
Favourite book/series: Boys' and Girls' Circus Book/Adventure Series

Post by Judith Crabb »

Almost a week ago I collected Journal 74 from my postal box and read the cheery editorial while waiting in chilling wind for the bank to open. I shall extend Tony's metaphor and say that I was pleased with the plumpness of the issue. For me to read a magazine online is like trying to enjoy a meal with someone on a prolonged fast. Far from 'padding' Tony's contributions were like garnish to a gourmet dish - well-chosen and amazingly varied illustrations as were the reprinted Blyton verse and stories.
Ilsa Cheeseman's account of growing up with Enid Blyton is a delight and must have triggered many memories in her readers. William Ferguson's article reminds us that the criminous elements in her plots are grounded in reality. I'm not familiar with most of the TV series which Tim Venning writes about but always enjoy his articles for their broad scope and incidental observations. 'But was she the Naughtiest?' John Henstock's affectionate look at Elizabeth Allen makes me anxious to read more (Journal 75). Like Angela Canning I love the Holiday books. Just a glance at their magnificent jackets and my spirits rise. Before answering Tony's question p. 59 I must go shopping.
I'll add some more comments when I get home.
Society Member
Judith Crabb

Post by Judith Crabb »

I decided to finish my post rather than do the housework.
In answer to Tony's question at the end of 'The Play's not the Thing' - were I watching the play on stage, I would be debating seriously with myself about sneaking home at the first interval, except that I wouldn't, in deference to my unbounded affection for the other writing of Enid Blyton.
Psychologist Neville Barlow's article about Enid Blyton and her Famous Five reminds me of a comment by South Australia's only resident Nobel Prize Prize for Literature, J. M. Coetzee - 'All writing is autobiographical'. Don Townshend's article certainly is as he defends Blyton against her ill-informed and sometimes downright malicious critics.
Last of all and a real bonus, this journal ends with two pages of book reviews.
WHAT MORE COULD ANYONE WANT?
(Well I tend to agree that Anita and Rob will be more than welcome contributors to future journals...).
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Thanks, Judith! I'm working on something for the next issue.

It's lovely to read people's meaty comments on the Journal. I enjoy seeing which items interested people or struck a chord with them.
John Pickup wrote:I've got all three Naughtiest Girl books but haven't yet read them so John Henstock's article is a nice little mouth-waterer. I'm a big fan and collector of Billy Bunter and Jennings so it will be interesting to compare their schools with Elizabeths.
I hope you find time to give them a whirl, John. The first Naughtiest Girl book is one of my all-time favourites.
John Pickup wrote:One of my favourite pieces in this journal is The Play's Not The Thing...If we ever have another Enid Blyton day, perhaps some of us could recreate this play. I reckon I could play Peter Johnson.
That would be fun! :lol:
John Pickup wrote:Where the journal really makes its mark for me is the inclusion of pieces such as the images sent in by Jessie Ray's grandson, Enid's identity card and the uncollected stories. And, quite appropriately, the Teachers World article about bluebells. No one can describe the beauty of nature so colourfully and eloquently as Enid does.
I agree completely, John. Every so often a new book on Enid Blyton comes out but nothing beats the Journal for rare and wonderful finds, close analysis of texts and personal reminiscences.
pete9012S wrote:Any regular posters who have not yet subscribed to the Journal would be most welcome, wouldn't they everybody?

Here's a link to the subscription page:
https://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/fir ... ournal.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yes, they'd certainly be welcome. The more the merrier! :D
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Judith Crabb wrote:I decided to finish my post rather than do the housework.
In answer to Tony's question at the end of 'The Play's not the Thing' - were I watching the play on stage, I would be debating seriously with myself about sneaking home at the first interval, except that I wouldn't, in deference to my unbounded affection for the other writing of Enid Blyton.
That wasn't my question, Judith, it was Enid's! :lol: It was written in pencil and had not come out all that well and was therefore difficult to read, so I thought I would help by repeating it just underneath the original.
Judith Crabb

Post by Judith Crabb »

Now I see! But why put the question there I wonder unless a sample was being sent for feedback.
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

The question is spoken by Andrew to his father (Robert), as Robert is a playwright and is writing a new play.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

My apologies for not commenting on J74 before now. Rolling out the excuses, I have been incredibly busy and read the Journal in its entirety soon after it arrived.

I loved the front cover. It was just so Enid! Tony's editorials are always so entertaining and this one was no exception. I am fortunate in that I have also pottered along the draughty corridors of Summerfield Castle (although not for some time now, for obvious reasons) and found piles of Journals old and current lying in corners - as well as limitless other delights!

Ilsa's article was a fabulous start to 'the read'. I rather think I must have read series titles out of order, too, as I relied on the library and Beach's Bookshop to satisfy my thirst. Although buying new books at what seems ridiculous prices today, 7/6 was still way out of my league! I am very lucky that I read Enid's books as a child. Hardback books with proper illustrations. We are also fortunate that our grandchildren love books. Even the 9-month old crawls to the book box and pulls out books!

William Ferguson's Rogues' Gallery was another fine read. I must say, I had never seen a whisky and soda as an accompaniment to a Blyton, but I'll give it a try! Blyton always used 'new' criminals, unlike Malcolm Saville who often brought back criminals from an earlier book. Slinky Grandon (?) and Mrs Ballinger first appeared in The Gay Dolphin Adventure, but in spite of receiving prison sentences, seemed to re-appear a year or two later! (Incidentally, talking of Saville, Talking Pictures TV is showing Treasure at the Mill on Saturday morning). On reflection, I think a new set of criminals is preferable to returning ones.

The 70s Famous Five series can be a bit of a mixed bag. Like Anita, I didn't take to Run Away Together. However, there were some good episodes, although many suffered by being squeezed into a 20 minute story time. As with John, however, I have enjoyed reading Tim Venning's long running series on the series (pun intended). Knowing all the locations personally, it has been fascination reading his articles and seeing the accompanying photos. My 7-year old GD is a huge fan, and has the whole set on DVD!

I have always loved Enid's schools' series. From St Rollo's to Malory Towers and St Clare's to the Naughtiest Girl - I have them all in original hardbacks. John Henstock has inspired me to re-read them! I read Bunter, Jennings and William as a child and although pretty much hating school, always enjoyed reading about them! Even my 7 year-old granddaughter asked if she could go to boarding school after watching the BBC's Malory Towers!

I only have the second and fifth of Enid's Holiday Books, so feel I must look out for the seventh, as Angela Canning's article has inspired me to read it. Another fine article from Angela.

Other articles were most interesting, the last one I read was Neville Barlow's reflections on the Five's relationship with Blyton. A fascinating read, but I can't help wondering what Enid would have made of it! I really think too much thought can be put into analysing characters that Enid created. To think that Georgina had dilemmas over sexual identity seems to be over-cooking the egg. My wife was very much like George, hating to be seen as only a girl. She was a total tomboy and was far more interested in adventuring in the countryside than boiling eggs and looking after dolls! She certainly was never in doubt about her sexual identity!

Another fab Journal, so thanks to all the contributors and Tony for doing the necessary.
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

I've enjoyed reading your detailed response to Journal 74, Nigel. It's great to know that your grandchildren all love books and that the 7-year-old is a fan of the 1970s Famous Five series.

Regarding school stories, I ought to take Mischief at St. Rollo's down from the shelf at some point. I've read at least one title from each of the three main series (Naughtiest Girl, St. Clare's and Malory Towers) relatively recently but it's a long time since I visited St. Rollo's.

Society Member
Judith Crabb

Post by Judith Crabb »

Thanks Anita for the comment about the play. I was obviously not giving it my full attention!
Society Member
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Lenoir »

The Journal was in the letter box this afternoon. A reason to celebrate indeed!
I enjoyed reading the editorial and look forward to getting into it later.
Society Member