Journal 74

What did you think of the latest Journal?
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Re: Journal 74

Post by Daisy »

Mine has arrived too... and so far I've just read Tony's Editorial - and it has made me chuckle, especially as my husband has just returned from his second visit to the mighty Wizard Fiza! Now to settle down with a cup of tea to enjoy further delights.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Mine has also arrived looking absolutely lovely as usual. I shall settle down with it tomorrow hopefully.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Jack400
Favourite book/series: Famous Five / Five Find-Outers

Post by Jack400 »

My journal arrived this morning, sometime before I arrived home from the barbers. I have so far only read Tony's editorial ( and that has excelled all previous ones -and I've always thought that they were a highlight). Looking forward to reading the rest...Thanks in advance to all the contributors.
Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

My one has probably arrived too, but as I'm away from home at the moment, I won't get it for another week! Looking forward to it, though.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

My Journal arrived yesterday along with a request for my tax return.
You can guess which one I am going to address first.

Tony's editorial was inspired. What a Journal this one is. I am about halfway through now.
This Journal is weighty and packed with interesting features and stories.

Take a look at the rear cover. Aren't those toys just gorgeous?

I loved Ilsa's story of growing up with Enid Blyton in the 1940's - I was slightly sad to realise that in her youth she obviously didn't have all the books in the series before she grew up.
She read them all later as a grown up.

This made me think of a possible future potential article about Growing Up With Enid Blyton in the 1970's which was my era.
This generation, although bringing Betty Maxey into the mix, did give me access to the complete works of Enid Blyton.

More later.
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Anne Gracie

Post by Anne Gracie »

Thanks Pete - mine is still on the way so I am already anticipating its arrival and look forward to reading it and adding it to my collection.
Ice_Gemz
Favourite book/series: The Folk of The Faraway Tree

Post by Ice_Gemz »

I too have received my much anticipated journal.

I noted the piece on the Child Whispers Coloring (sic) Book, I have a copy of this....

The book is approx A4 in size, paperback and only about 20 or so pages.
It features poems from Child Whispers on the left-hand pages, and a corresponding colouring in page on the right-hand page.

The poems are:
Rosamunda
Disappointment
Fairy Sight
The Fairy's Bedtime
Lovely Frocks
Fairy Music
The Moon at Tea-Time
April
This Afternoon
The "Feeling"
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Happily my Journal was waiting for me when I got back today from Dorset. Just managed to read Tony's Editorial first, as I always do, and Ilsa's article, which I thoroughly enjoyed, as her written article was almost like my own childhood with Enid's books.

I too was also a member of the F.F. club, but sadly don't have my badge anymore. And my interest in birds is also the same as Ilsa's. I love feeding them, and watching them in our garden. And the varieties we get is fabulous, right down to a woodpecker.

Looking forward to reading the rest of the Journal tomorrow. :)

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

My EBS Journal arrived today in the US. Thank you, Tony! ♥
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

pete9012S wrote:I loved Ilsa's story of growing up with Enid Blyton in the 1940's - I was slightly sad to realise that in her youth she obviously didn't have all the books in the series before she grew up.
This made me think of a possible future potential article about Growing Up With Enid Blyton in the 1970's which was my era.
This generation, although bringing Betty Maxey into the mix, did give me access to the complete works of Enid Blyton.
And I could write a short essay about "Growing up with Enid Blyton in the 1960's in Germany". :wink:
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Surely you're far too young to write an article about that Chrissie! :wink:

Yesterday after work I went into the garden with a large mug of coffee and read another article:

. Enid Blyton's Rogues' Gallery of Some of Her Notorious Criminals by William Ferguson (10)

I really enjoyed this article which looked at the rogues in the books along with a scrapbook of possible real life inspirations for some of the dastardly deeds in the books.

This article looked at the books in a fresh and exciting way, was well written and made me want to read the stories mentioned all over again, so many thanks William.

I intend to read another article after work today in the sun in the garden - if our decent weather lasts...
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

pete9012S wrote:Surely you're far too young to write an article about that Chrissie! :wink:
I wish I was, Pete. :wink:
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
William E
Favourite book/series: Five on a Treasure Island

Post by William E »

pete9012S wrote:Yesterday after work I went into the garden with a large mug of coffee and read another article:

. Enid Blyton's Rogues' Gallery of Some of Her Notorious Criminals by William Ferguson (10)

I really enjoyed this article which looked at the rogues in the books along with a scrapbook of possible real life inspirations for some of the dastardly deeds in the books.

This article looked at the books in a fresh and exciting way, was well written and made me want to read the stories mentioned all over again, so many thanks William.
Hi Pete
Very pleased that you enjoyed the article. It was very enjoyable to write and I visited many places in the research. I think Blyton got a lot of ideas from the media. Thanks again for your kind appreciation.
William E
Favourite book/series: Five on a Treasure Island

Post by William E »

Hi Tony. A lovely spring time cover and made the magazine an immediate read, Your editorial was entertaining and an introduction to its very interesting content.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

A wonderful Journal as always. Like Ilsa (Daisy) and others, I always have a chuckle at Tony's witty editorials. Love the "Avocado van"! The springtime cover is pretty and I'm especially fond of the lamb smelling the daffodil!

Thanks for listing the poems included in the Child Whispers Colo(u)ring Book, Ice_Gemz. Were the pictures drawn specially to go with each poem or are they very general illustrations that might have been taken from elsewhere?
pete9012S wrote:I loved Ilsa's story of growing up with Enid Blyton in the 1940's - I was slightly sad to realise that in her youth she obviously didn't have all the books in the series before she grew up.

Chrissie777 wrote:And I could write a short essay about "Growing up with Enid Blyton in the 1960's in Germany". :wink:
Ilsa's article was a brilliant read and I'd love to read of other people's experiences in various decades. Turning the kitchen table and chairs into the Faraway Tree sounds fun, though I'm sorry it led to an accident! Receiving a letter etc. from Enid Blyton must have been thrilling though. :D

I didn't bother about reading books in the correct order either. In the late 1970s Enid Blyton paperbacks cost about 40 - 50p and I could buy one a fortnight with my pocket money of 25p a week - though sometimes there was a longer gap when I needed to buy other things such as presents for people's birthdays. When it came to choosing a new book, I simply picked whichever title/cover appealed most. Enid Blyton strengthened my interest in nature too, Ilsa - and my sister, two friends and I acted out 'The Currant Bun' (from Book of the Year) for our families and neighbours. I've acquired Journey Through Fairyland as an adult but I wish I could have had it as a child (growing up in the 70s, I didn't know that such a game had ever existed).
timv wrote:A fascinating article by Neville Barlow on the possible underlying psychological background of some of Enid's characters, the Five in particular...
...Nor did I think of Mr and Mrs Stick as the basic images of what Enid thought of as the stock 'bad / dysfunctional' family, scruffy, surly, greedy, bullying, and out for themselves - I shall see them in a new light from now on! ...Perhaps we should now defend Enid's supposed 'snobbish and outdated' view of working-class families like the Sticks as criminals who the Five can look down on, which critics love to highlight (the Pavlovian response theory is spot on, thanks Don Townshend for that), as a result of her traumatised childhood? That way , the critics would be put in the wrong, as failing to show proper sympathy for her!
Some critics have tended to simplify matters in dismissing Enid Blyton's depiction of the Stick family (or at least the Five's attitude towards them) as snobbery. I was glad to see both you and Neville Barlow taking a more considered approach in your articles, Tim. Even if Mr. and Mrs. Stick weren't involved in serious crime, they'd still be smug, entitled and lacking in empathy. The Five get on perfectly well with other members of the working-class like Joan/Joanna, Mr. and Mrs. Sanders, Nobby, Aily and Jo.

As far as the 1970s TV series is concerned, I must admit that Five Run Away Together is one of my least-liked episodes because of the altered storyline revolving around a convict. I like the adaptation of Five Go to Demon's Rocks very much, however, and I enjoyed seeing Paul Curran (Jeremiah Boogle) as a rascally old man living in the woods when I watched Brendon Chase (1980-81) a little while ago.

Reading your article, Tim, I found it fascinating to think of scenes from different episodes sometimes being shot on the same day if the same location was being used!

Well, there's a lot more to discuss but it'll have to wait until another day!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member