Journal 74

What did you think of the latest Journal?
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Journal 74

Post by pete9012S »

" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Re: Journal 74

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I asked Pete if he would be very kind and post the picture above for me as I am a technical idiot and haven't got a clue how to post a picture unless it comes from the Cave - and this doesn't! I wanted readers to see that Journal 74 actually exists and will eventually arrive.

Normally I would be posting this Journal out in the next couple of weeks but unfortunately our post office is closed until the middle of April so nobody is going to get a Journal for at least six weeks. I have not put it into the Journal Catalogue as I am still posting out Journal 73 to any new UK subscribers - regrettably I can't send anything overseas at present.
Aussie Sue
Favourite book/series: Secret Island, Faraway Tree & FindOuter Series

Post by Aussie Sue »

Tony, We all know it will be great when it arrives so no one minds waiting. The Postal system is still appalling in Australia too. I'm glad I'm not the only one who can't post pictures to this site.

cheers Sue
Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

What a lovely cover signifying the onset of spring. I'm sure the wait will be worth it when the journals finally arrive on our doormats.
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

That's a lovely cover, it will certainly cheer everyone up, something we all badly need I would think. :)

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Looks lovely, Tony! I'll be very interested to see what's in it. :D
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

It looks beautiful and, as others have said, will be well worth the wait!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Looks very pastoral. Nice fresh colours. Hopefully it will complement a nice fresh start to the world.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

That's a lovely thought, John. Yes, it looks very attractive, doesn't it.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

Good to see the contents list --- not too much longer to wait now, I guess.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

Something for the weekend, sir?
Enid Blyton Society Journal 74 would be nice, if you've got one.
Certainly, sir.
Thank you very much.

I shall delve into it later!
Society Member
Boatbuilder
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Famous 5, Secret Seven, Five Findouters

Post by Boatbuilder »

My Journal 74 has just arrived! :D
"You can't change history as that won't change the future"

John's Pictures of Suffolk - https://suffolk-world.com/

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

My Journal arrived at lunchtime. It looks great, as always, and I shall enjoy reading it this evening. My subscription renewal cheque is already in the post to you, Tony. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
timv

Post by timv »

I've now received and read m y Journal; many thanks as usual to Tony and all my fellow-contributors. More fascinating titbits of non - series Blyton material and analysis; I remember reading some of Enid's stories for small children in early annuals when I was about six or seven, but the names and the dates of these books have become a bit blurred over the years. In my case some were passed on by older cousins and I think others belonged to my mother from when she used to read them to her class as a teacher in the 1940s so I can't be sure when they came out. It would be great to have a proper guide to all these annuals published, both those for younger and older children, to know which is which and get dates; info on them is scattered across the internet and difficult to put together. (Some of the major authors of adventure/ family books pop up writing individual stories in them; I have come across Monica Edwards and Noel Streatfeild in 1950s annuals.)

A fascinating article by Neville Barlow on the possible underlying psychological background of some of Enid's characters, the Five in particular ; I have never really thought of Julian as representing Enid's idealised image of her absent father , or Dick as her 'fitting in with society's expectations' side, though the origins of George and Anne are more obvious. Critics go on about Julian as bossy and pompous but he is not half as bad as some 'managing' older brother/ cousin figures in 1940s-50s adventure series , eg Guy in Lorna Hill's Northumberland 'Markorie' books - why does Enid always get the blame?)

Nor did I think of Mr and Mrs Stick as the basic images of what Enid thought of as the stock 'bad / dysfunctional' family, scruffy, surly, greedy, bullying, and out for themselves - I shall see them in a new light from now on! Good comment about Aily; is she a sort of Blyton version of the idealised 'child of Nature' like Heidi in Joanna Spyri's Alpine series? Perhaps we should now defend Enid's supposed 'snobbish and outdated' view of working-class families like the Sticks as criminals who the Five can look down on, which critics love to highlight (the Pavlovian response theory is spot on, thanks Don Townshend for that), as a result of her traumatised childhood? That way , the critics would be put in the wrong, as failing to show proper sympathy for her!
Society Member
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

My copy of the Journal has arrived and it was well worth the wait. It popped through the letterbox just as I'd made a cup of coffee so I've already read the editorial, the poems and The Play's Not The Thing!

Lots more treats in store but I've no time to read more now, many thanks to all the contributors and the editor.
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member