Journal 71

What did you think of the latest Journal?
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Re: Journal 71

Post by Lucky Star »

I'm very late with my comments this time. I have had much on my mind recently, mainly connected with or arising from the current situation, but I shall now give a few thoughts on Journal 71. Overall it is as we would expect every bit as good as all of it's predecessors. We are so lucky to have such a dedicated writing team and editor who produce such a high quality publication each and every time. Therefore it was sad to see that the membership continues to decrease. I have no idea how to remedy this and in the current situation I am sure that an Enid Blyton Journal is low on people's list of priorities but I do hope somebody can come up with something which might bring in a few more subscribers.

Anyway Page four brought a very welcome return for Rob Houghton's Cookery Book series. I have been enjoying this series since it's inception and was particularly pleased to see my favourite Roast Dinner featured this time out. The Family stories are a bit hit and miss for me. I have read some of them but by no means all so it was really interesting to read this round up of the genre. As usual I seem to agree with most everything Rob writes and his stories of his own childhood thoughts often resonate with mine. I too remember seeing my toy hanging on the line and wished that I had a tree in my garden. I was very pleased to see The Six Bad Boys featured here, probably my favourite title from this article.

On to Enid Blyton's Orphans by John Lester another contributor whom I rate very highly. John does not disappoint in 71 either with a superb and interesting article about the child characters in Blyton who have no (or appear to have no) parents. Though I am familiar with every character John lists I was still pretty amazed to see just how many children Enid created who had unusual or difficult family situations. This article should be required reading for all those who lazily dismiss Enid's characters as middle class "perfect" children.

Ilsa's George Goes to School story was a welcome piece of good old fashioned storytelling. Written just about exactly as I'm sure Enid would have written it herself had she bothered to do so it has a very authentic feel to it and the use of letters to Aunt Fanny to move the story along was a very clever touch. Most enjoyable.

On to Anita's Five Get into a Fix analysis. Anita begins by describing this as "arguably the best of the last eight Famous Five books". I would probably agree with that although I would also put Demon's Rocks in that category and be somewhat hard pressed to choose between them. Still, Fix is undoubtedly either best or second best and it's a cracking story. Anita as always does a marvelous job of analysing the story, setting it in context with other stories and coming up with thought provoking questions. One example of which is George's love of dogs. Is it a love of dogs or just a love of Timmy? Upon reflection I am actually inclined to think it's the latter. Like Anita the thought of Morgan calling his dogs in the underground caves is a scene that resonated with me. For a long time as a child I was able to recite the names of Morgan's dogs, I knew them so well because I read the book quite often and between reads I would often go back and read just that scene!

John Henstock's cheery article about Enid Blyton's Jolly Story Book was very enjoyable. The cover looks lovely and though I don't have a copy of the book I am familiar with some of the mentioned stories. John gives us a lovely review of the various stories and handles the issue of the now outdated racial undertones very well, in particular his sad observation that many people today refuse to even contemplate any opinion which does not jibe with their own or which deviates from the accepted norm.

On to Tim Venning's Famous Five 78 TV Series Part 6. This a specially good installment for me since for once I have actually visited some of the places mentioned. Tim tackles Finniston Farm and Get into Trouble this time round and the pictures and text, in addition to their regular interest, brought back fond memories of our last forum get together. So much so that I got out my own photos of that day to look them over.

Angela Canning never disappoints either and she surpassed herself this time with her absolutely fascinating article on Brownsea Island. I have visited it before and often read snippets about it but to read it's full, varied and often amazing history was a revelation. I now have an immediate urge to return to Dorset. Typical of this to come over me just when there is no possibility of getting there. But well done for this excellent article.

Winfried Secker was up next and those comic book adaptations look beautiful. If I were a rich collector I would certainly love to have them on my shelves. Alas it is likely that reading about them in Journal 71 will have to suffice.

William E Ferguson's article was a riveting read as always. It's wonderful to hear how Enid's work can continue to inspire children today just as it has for many years past. I found it interesting that the class rated Dick and Anne higher than Julian or George. The latter two always seem to dominate any Five discussion so good to see the other pair getting their turn.

Together with some well chosen material from Enid herself and an absolute host of wonderful and evocative illustrations throughout all of the above made Journal 71 a veritable feast for the Blyton fan. Profound thanks go as always to all of the contributors and most especially to our heroic editor Tony who has had an even harder job than usual this time round due to computing issues. 71 now takes it's rightful place on the shelves with it's predecessors. Roll on number 72. :D
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Lenoir »

I expect my copy will come after the lockdown. My subs will be due as well.
Judith Crabb
Favourite book/series: Boys' and Girls' Circus Book/Adventure Series

Post by Judith Crabb »

Imagine my delight in these fraught times of self isolation when I opened our postal box yesterday, after the shops had closed and there were very few people around, just before an autumn sunset (6 pm). There it was, the Spring Journal 71. Bless you, Tony Summerfield - I'm organizing my subscription renewal immediately.
I jumped in at the deep end as soon as I got home, reading the articles by Robert Houghton and Anita Bensoussane. Their enthusiasm and temperate and scholarly assessments of our beloved Author are a joy to read.
I was not lucky enough as a child to buy or borrow many of the 'family' stories Robert discusses, but I do recall reading 'The Put-Em-Rights' and recognizing in one of the characters my own short-comings - feelings of superiority over the rowdy families down the street for starters. I have on my shelves another family story, 'Hollow Tree House' which I have been meaning to read for some time and Robert's article has given me a strong incentive.
'Five get into a Fix' was the last actual 'Fives' book to grace my childhood shelves. I was nine or ten when it was published. The cabined delights of holidaying in Welsh mountains in winter seemed as delicious to me as they were to Anita. (Later I read 'Finniston Farm' as a serial in a children's magazine.) When I re-read all the Fives books a couple of years ago I especially enjoyed 'Five get into a Fix', though, as an adult living in a part of Australia where 2 degrees centigrade is considered intolerably cold, I find it very surprising that children would be sent to such an environment to convalesce.
I am looking forward greatly to reading the rest of the journal. It will be such a glorious escape from months of hideous bushfires (a farmer friend of ours on Kangaroo Island lost almost everything, including his book collection of forty years) and this insidious virus.
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Hope it's not too long before you get your Journal, Lenoir. At least it's something to look forward to!

I thoroughly enjoyed reading your comments, John (Lucky Star) and Judith, though I'm very sorry to hear about your friend losing everything - including his book collection - in the bush fires, Judith. :cry: It's lovely to know that, like me, you both rate Five Get Into a Fix highly and have fond memories of reading it as children. I'm surprised too that a long, cold and risky car journey followed by a stay in a draughty hut in the snow-covered hills is considered just the ticket for children who have been ill and are still at the coughing stage. Still, it makes for an exciting story! Five Go to Demon's Rocks is my second favourite of the later titles, John. The lighthouse sounds super and I used to think I wouldn't mind being a lighthouse keeper!
Lucky Star wrote:I was very pleased to see The Six Bad Boys featured here [in Rob's article], probably my favourite title from this article.
The Six Bad Boys is a wonderful book, beautifully structured and eye-opening. It's a cracking story but also gives readers a real insight into the society of the time, being "an interesting documentation of the attitudes surrounding the idea of 'family' during the 1950s", as Rob puts it. I've read it countless times and, even though I question certain aspects more as an adult, I still find it every bit as special and just as moving as I did when I was a child.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Boatbuilder
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Famous 5, Secret Seven, Five Findouters

Post by Boatbuilder »

Just reading Lenoir's post and his mentioning of Rob Houghton, prompts me to ask has anybody heard from Rob recently as he hasn't been online for two weeks. I hope he is OK.
"You can't change history as that won't change the future"

John's Pictures of Suffolk - https://suffolk-world.com/

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

He is okay John. I spoke to him on facebook a couple of days ago.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

I haven't heard from William Ferguson since January 2020. I hope he is o.k.!
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Boatbuilder
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Famous 5, Secret Seven, Five Findouters

Post by Boatbuilder »

Daisy wrote:He is okay John. I spoke to him on facebook a couple of days ago.
Thanks Daisy. That's good to know. :D
"You can't change history as that won't change the future"

John's Pictures of Suffolk - https://suffolk-world.com/

Society Member
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

I have really been taking my time over this issue of the Journal. I finished it on Easter Saturday morning with the uncollected story from the Enid Blyton Magazine "Easter Time at Granny's". I enjoyed all the articles. What surprises me is how much I've enjoyed Tim Venning's series of articles on the Famous Five TV series, apart from an episode at a long ago Enid Blyton day I've never seen them. Thanks Tim. I was planning a trip to Poole in Dorset this summer and Brownsea Island especially. Not possible at the moment but Angela Canning's article was the next best thing. The Journal is so packed with good things I can't mention everything without turning this post into a long essay, suffice to say thanks to all the contributors and to Tony for putting it together under difficult circumstances.
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
sayantani

Post by sayantani »

In these strange times cannot even dream of reading the journal by post, but is it possible to buy an online version of any particular issue?
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I'm afraid there are no electronic versions of the Journal, Sayantani. We once looked into making early issues available online but the files are too big.

Journals are still being sent out by post, though they may take longer than usual to arrive.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Fascinating to read everyone's impressions of Journal 71 - and many thanks to the kind comments about my own article. I always enjoy writing them, especially when I can tie memories of my own childhood into the books I mention!

Many thanks also for the enquiries after my well-being! I'm getting on okay - though a bit fed up of being home alone with two cats during lockdown! Been tackling the garden...such a mess, as my dad was the keen gardener...and also writing my Adventurous Four novel - and being very lazy and taking it easy!! :lol:
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Have you moved that Bike yet? :wink:
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

Rob Houghton wrote:Many thanks also for the enquiries after my well-being! I'm getting on okay - though a bit fed up of being home alone with two cats during lockdown! Been tackling the garden...such a mess, as my dad was the keen gardener...and also writing my Adventurous Four novel - and being very lazy and taking it easy!!
Good to hear from you, Rob. 8)
Did you ever get my e-mail regarding Betty Grable?
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I did, Chrissie...and I thought I replied...? :?
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member