Journal 70

What did you think of the latest Journal?
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.
Favourite character: Fatty

Re: Journal 70

Post by Lenoir »

I'm looking forward to having some time to read the journal this weekend.
It came in good time earlier this week.
William E
Favourite book/series: Five on a Treasure Island
Favourite character: Dick

Re: Journal 70 and Alfred Burgess Sharrocks article

Post by William E »

Having read that Alfred Burgess Sharrocks came from Stockport I took a bus there to wonder around the town. There is the Hat Factory and several other places of interest to Blyton's underground locations in her stories. Not so much as story locations but additional supporting features. There is a 19th century police cell to visit and a very old house called The Stairs.

The real treat turns out to be that Stockport is built on Sandstone rock.

Not sure about the history of this geology feature but in 1938 the biggest air raid shelter in the UK was built to house several thousand people. It can be visited and wondering about this cave like structure is like wondering through a smugglers cave in a Famous Five story. However there are constant reminders of its war time role.

I know that Nottingham also has a cave structure under the city but to learn that there are other cities like this was a ' Smashing' discovery. You can well imagine that it was an exciting visit.
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

As I mentioned in my posting, I was born in Stockport and brought up in the town. One of my aunties worked at the hat factory that you mention, William, as Stockport is well known for making hats. And yes the air raid is on Chestergate and is a huge underground area, which is open to the public at certain times. The old stair case cafe, is in the market place, and you can see the original wattle and daub part of the wall that is protected behind some glass.
Quite a few films have been made in Stockport, and it's very old market place.
The old art deco Plaza cinema, is actually built into the sandstone rock in Mersey Square.

People from Stockport are called Stockfordians, and I'm very pleased to call myself one :lol:

I was really interested to read in the journal, that Alfred Burgess Sharrocks was born in my home town, and quite a posh area too, being on Dialstone Lane.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Apologies for being so tardy with my Journal comments. I read it straight through a couple of days after receiving it but what with one thing or another I simply have had neither time nor energy to sit down and write about it. Like many others I was looking forward to another good feed from Rob Houghton's cookbook and was surprised to find him absent. I have since learned the reason and send my sincere condolences to Rob at this very difficult time. Losing a parent is incredibly hard and takes much time to recover from. I hope we will see you back as a regular presence on both these forums and the Journal again soon Rob.

Anyway Journal 70 soon proved that it is a worthy and masterful successor to all of it's previous relations. I enjoyed John Henstock's article on the Farm books rather more than I enjoyed the books themselves! I always thought they were more of a nature lesson rather than a novel and could never really warm to them. It didn't help that I only came to them as an adult and while I learned a few things about animal habits that I had never known before I quickly tired of them.John's analysis of the books was concise and interesting and made a very enjoyable intro to Journal 70. Well done John.

David Martins' Adventure series feasibility study was thoroughly enjoyable too. An article with a difference. I soon stopped and began analysing his opinions against my own. I broadly agreed with all of his conclusions although I was mildly disappointed to realise that Sea may not have been as feasible as I have always believed. I remain fairly sure that it would indeed have been possible to hide such an operation as there must be some islands up there which were off the ferry routes. But a good article anyway. I would enjoy seeing him turn the same spotlight on a few other of Enid's major series'.

Enid's article on choosing books for children was another interesting read. I found her tone a bit preachy to be honest but as it's Enid I could of course find nothing to disagree with in her conclusions. Her statement that illustrations should be drawn properly is particularly apt in this day and age.

Tim Venning's fascinating FF 78 series articles continued with part 5 being just as good as it's predecessors. The detailed directions and photos will be invaluable if and when I ever get around to making a thorough exploration of the area for myself.

Fiveology by Judith Crabb was an enjoyable read and reminded me somewhat of my own Blyton "renaissance" some years ago. And oh how I agreed with her final statement about being unable to read these books entirely as an adult. I simply can't! I'm transported back to my childhood thoughts every time I pick them up.

Off to Malory Towers by Anita was excellent as all of Anita's articles are. I was vaguely aware that the show was going on though as I am not a very big theatergoer I never had any serious plans to go and see it. It does sound as though I have missed out. Anita and Tony seem to have had a wonderful day. Actually the article put me strongly in mind of the time when a dozen or so of us forumites met up in London to see a production of The Railway Children at Waterlooo station. Another wonderful occasion.

Angela Canning's piece on Burgess Sharrocks was highly enjoyable. It's always fascinating to me to read the lives of people who have done well and been successful at things they love and Sharrocks seems to have led an enjoyable life living in his beloved Wales and drawing.

William E Ferguson's pupils are lucky to have such a teacher. His article (or part one of it anyway) was an immensely interesting look at how modern children perceive one of my favourite books. I look forward to part two.

Winfried Secker wrote a lovely article on collecting Blyton books. As I collect books myself (albeit in a rather desultory manner) I loved her descriptions of finding various treasures and bargains in diverse locations. Like Winfried I too must have early editions with half decent dustwrappers but I do not require first editions. Way too expensive these days.

And finally Ilsa's story of the Lawdlers at Kirrin. Very well imagined as always. There was a definite ring of truth in the way it was written and the twist at the end might have come directly from Enid herself. An excellent way to end Journal 70.

Many thanks again to all the contributors and to Tony for his tireless work in putting it all together. I missed the colour centerspread but entirely understand the reasons for it's absence. The articles and the stories from Enid are in any case the meat and drink of the Journal. It is they and the quality of the writing and editing which make every edition of the Journal such a triumph. We subscribers are indeed lucky to belong to such an exclusive club. :D
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

Rob Houghton wrote:I've had a tough three months adjusting to a whole new way of life, as some of you on here already know - my dad, who I was very close to, as we'd lived together without my mom for ten years and were buddies as well as father and son, sadly died on 25 August, quite suddenly and unexpectedly, which gave us all a massive shock and has meant many adjustments, mentally and physically, as I have now taken on the running of the house!
So sorry to hear about your dad, Rob. Our deepest sympathy.
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I too recall the trip to The Railway Children at Waterloo Station with great fondness, John (Lucky Star). Hard to believe that it was just over nine years ago! :shock: I still remember that you dropped your programme (down beneath the seating area, I think?) and couldn't retrieve it. It was a freezing cold November day and I thoroughly enjoyed chatting afterwards while sipping hot chocolate in a cosy cafe at Waterloo.
Lucky Star wrote:Fiveology by Judith Crabb was an enjoyable read and reminded me somewhat of my own Blyton "renaissance" some years ago. And oh how I agreed with her final statement about being unable to read these books entirely as an adult. I simply can't! I'm transported back to my childhood thoughts every time I pick them up.
Same here. When reading one of my childhood books, all sorts of memories and emotions flood in and add extra layers of enjoyment and nostalgia to the tale itself. I may remember choosing the book in a shop or receiving it as a present, reading it at my grandparents' house, discussing it with friends at school, taking it on a trip to the beach, reading it out in the garden, playing games with my sister inspired by the story, making jigsaws or other items based on the book, etc. For a magical moment, I recapture exactly how I felt as a child.

I've re-read most of my Blytons several times as an adult too, so further reminiscences have joined the childhood ones. For example, I have strong memories of reading The Secret Seven a few years ago on a snowy day, sitting snugly in the living-room with a hot drink and chocolate biscuits and watching huge snowflakes whirl past the window. The mood of the day suited the mood of the story. I've since read the book again and was taken back vividly to that time. Some people claim never to re-read books, but I can't help thinking they're missing out on a rich and rewarding experience.

Incidentally, I was reading a biography of E. Nesbit at the time we went to The Railway Children at Waterloo. I'll never be able to read that book again without remembering a great day out in fabulous company!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:I've re-read most of my Blytons several times as an adult too, so further reminiscences have joined the childhood ones. For example, I have strong memories of reading The Secret Seven a few years ago on a snowy day, sitting snugly in the living-room with a hot drink and chocolate biscuits and watching huge snowflakes whirl past the window. The mood of the day suited the mood of the story. I've since read the book again and was taken back vividly to that time. Some people claim never to re-read books, but I can't help thinking they're missing out on a rich and rewarding experience.
That's exactly what I think, Anita. 8)
Books are like good friends for me and I love to re-read them again.
Also, I've noticed that each time I re-read a novel after 5 or 10 years, other things mentioned in the book have become more important to me than the last time when I read it.
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog

Post by Eddie Muir »

Beautifully expressed, John and Anita. I’m in total agreement with all you say about re-reading your childhood favourites. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Lucky Star

Post by Lucky Star »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:I too recall the trip to The Railway Children at Waterloo Station with great fondness, John (Lucky Star). Hard to believe that it was just over nine years ago! :shock: I still remember that you dropped your programme (down beneath the seating area, I think?) and couldn't retrieve it. It was a freezing cold November day and I thoroughly enjoyed chatting afterwards while sipping hot chocolate in a cosy cafe at Waterloo.
Nine years!!! :shock: I am shocked. How time flies. I had completely forgotten my programme loss until you mentioned it. The cafe visit afterwards was lovely indeed, all the better for it being cold outside as we sat inside like Fatty and Co at t :D he Dairy.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.

Post by Lenoir »

The above sounds good!

A good variety of articles as usual, thanks to the contributors.
It was interesting to read about the illustrator Burgess Sharrocks, 100 years after his birth.
The article on collecting was also of interest, having been a collector at one time as well (while I was trying to get all my favourites in the original hardcovers).

The diary entries gave more insight into Enid’s personality. That bit about exchanging Christmas presents was amusing. I remember my Mother saying that the queues at the exchange counter after Boxing Day (when the shops open again) could be just as long as the queues the week before when everyone is doing last minute shopping! I wasn’t sure if she was being serious, but I suppose there is some truth in it, and Enid would be in the queue herself!

The trip to see the Malory Towers play sounded nice, an adventure it itself. Sounds like the play was worthwhile seeing as well. It would have been great to hear the famous speech on stage.

Interesting to read about Class 4’s opinions on Five go off to Camp and how they worked out the distance covered and made deductions from that. I agree that watchmen shouldn't throw cinders, but I suppose Sam felt vulnerable with his handicap and he had a plentiful supply of sharp cinders to use as ammunition for keeping intruders at bay.
William E
Favourite book/series: Five on a Treasure Island

Post by William E »

Hi,

The class also had a history project about WW1 and it was thought that Old Sam was a veteran WW1 and the reason why he had an artificial leg.
Lucky Star

Post by Lucky Star »

William E wrote:Hi,

The class also had a history project about WW1 and it was thought that Old Sam was a veteran WW1 and the reason why he had an artificial leg.
That would actually make a lot of sense. I must admit I never thought too much about how Sam acquired his wooden leg. Such a scenario would make him a much more sympathetic figure.

Society Member