Journal 69

What did you think of the latest Journal?
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Journal 69

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

It's over a week since I read Journal 69 but I've been so busy with one thing and another that I haven't had time to share my thoughts - until now!

Tony's witty editorial was enjoyable, though it's sad that we've lost Pam Ally. I remember her well from Enid Blyton Days.

An attractive Contents Page, with Sunny Stories being sold in a quaint little pixie shop!

A thoughtful analysis of Uncle Quentin by John Lester. I too rate Five on Kirrin Island Again fairly highly.

As usual, I enjoyed Rob's Cookery Book article. I read many of Enid Blyton's short stories as a small child and I know exactly what he means about the Dean and Purnell collections "crying out for felt-tipped pens"! It's great that Tony used scans of illustrations that were in Rob's childhood books as I had the same editions in the 1970s and it's really nostalgic seeing pictures that have been familiar to me since I was four or five years old. I like reading your personal anecdotes, Rob. For some reason I imagined the colourful "cheap and nasty sweets" in The Girl Who Found Sixpence to be sherbet pips, even though I liked eating sherbet pips! You mentioned a number of my own favourite tales, including the clever and atmospheric 'Connie's Curious Candle'. 'The Little Paper-Folk' is indeed wonderfully "nightmarish" and reminds me of E. Nesbit's Ugly-Wuglies too. In addition to many of the stories you mention, three of my personal favourites are 'Father Time and His Pattern Book' (thought-provoking) and 'The Other Little Boy' and 'The Packet of Sweets' (both deliciously chilling).

I thought Julie's 'What Enid Blyton Means to Me' was a really lovely, heartfelt piece, capturing the way Enid Blyton takes children by the hand and leads them into another world.

Like others, I loved Enid Blyton's 'The Moon, the Dawn and the Sea'. What a vivid description of "the moon at war with the dawn", giving the feeling of a world "full of poetry". Enid Blyton paints glorious pictures in the mind's eye.

An interesting letter to Eileen Soper about the Famous Five card game. The statement "I hope you are not too busy for this, as I couldn't bear anyone else to do it" confirms how much Enid valued Eileen's work. The centrespread jigsaws show how attractive Soper's coloured illustrations were, and it's fun to see the different scenes and situations.

'The Feel of a House' reminded me of when I was young and my family and I went to visit a husband and wife. They were pleasant and kind and chatted away to us but there was a terrible air of sadness about their house that made me feel oppressed. I was glad when it was time to leave. Later, I learnt that the couple's son had been killed in a motorcycle accident some years before.

I found 'You Never Know What Will Turn Up!' heartwarming, with charming illustrations by Marjorie Davies. 'My Gold' made me think of the hymn that begins, "Daisies are our silver, buttercups our gold." As for 'A Terrible Muddle', it was a delightful read which made me chuckle. I've been extremely fond of Binkle and Flip ever since I was a youngster - the stories about those two rascals are entertaining and ingenious.

Regarding The Boys' and Girls' Circus Book, it's a pity about the misleading title as it's a smashing story.

Turning to Angela Canning's article, I'd read about Edgar Hodges on the internet previously so I knew he'd done some illustrating for Thomas the Tank Engine, the Wombles, etc. I recall buying a pad of Oxford paper with the top design and I think both designs are excellent, though I'm not keen on Hodges' work for Noddy which is "flat" and gaudy.

The extracts from Ladies' Year Book... 1929 were super once again but I'll give my thoughts on those another day as this post is ridiculously long - and it's ridiculously late!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

I'm finding the Ladies' Year Book... 1929 entries extremely entertaining and informative. Some things that surprised/intrigued/amused/interested me:

Being offered meals when viewing a house for sale

Hugh and Enid staying up till 4 am to listen to the results of the General Election

The "Baby Night". Something to do with Enid's hormone injections and her most fertile time, perhaps?!

The judgemental, spiteful attitude and air of superiority shown by Enid Blyton to Mrs. Perkins, Alma's aunt, Alma and Maud!

The Newnes Annual Outing to Folkestone

The mention of a Hide & Seek Book for Birn

Tembi (watched with Phyllis Chase) being too like Chang

The move to Old Thatch

Enid being asked to write a children's page for Teachers World and doing a drawing of Old Thatch for it

The hint that Enid may have "poached" Mabel.

Great stuff - I look forward to reading more!

Society Member
PaulB123
Favourite book/series: Five Finder Outers & Famous Five
Favourite character: Fatty & Dick

Post by PaulB123 »

Hi all,

I never received my journal :cry:
Not sure why :?

This would have been my second one, No 68 was received in post ok.
How can I get my missing one ?
Who should I contact ?

Thanks
Duncan:
There is a war on. How is it you are heading west?
Hawkeye:
Well, we kinda face to the north and, real sudden-like, turn left.

Society Member
Boatbuilder
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Famous 5, Secret Seven, Five Findouters

Post by Boatbuilder »

You need to let Tony know, Paul.
"You can't change history as that won't change the future"

John's Pictures of Suffolk - https://suffolk-world.com/

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

It has been very remiss of me not to comment on the current Journal. It seems to be a fact of life that anything regularly read of such a high quality becomes the norm, the expected. However, I do appreciate the work that goes into each Journal – not only from the contributors, but to Tony for editing and all that goes on between writers' laptops and doormat.

I always enjoy enjoy Tony's editorial page, but was saddened to read of the passing of Pam Alley. I met her at the Society Days and was impressed by her knowledge of Enid's work. Just south of Marlborough on the A338 to Salisbury, a sign points to a village called Ram Alley. I always think of Pam when I pass this sign, so a reminder of her awaits me on each journey.

Many of you have said what I intended to say when I finally got round to this post. But tempus fugit, as the Romans said, and many have beaten me to it. Again, a marvellous Journal which was a joy to read. I loved John Lester's article on Quentin Kirrin. A man of mixed emotions and temperaments – Quentin, not John! - Quentin is one of Enid's most complex human characters and a study of him was long overdue.

When I saw the title, Noddy Recycled, I immediately thought of Anita. I'm afraid she would have put Noddy into landfill, not the recycling bin!

A fascinating article on Smuggler's Top by William Ferguson. The illustration of George on the city wall looking in Barling's window is one of my favourites from all the books. Sadly, certain editions leave this one out, so when I “modernised” my collection, I had to make sure this was included, as it wasn't in my previous copy. I am so pleased that Eileen Soper is Tony's default illustrator – these articles would pale in quality if another replaced the original illustrator.

As a lover of nostalgia, Julie's piece was of interest and her description of “his musical van” could have been lifted from one of Enid's short stories! Unlike Julie, I never really gelled with Jo (Fall into Adventure) but am pleased that Julie has a fondness for Dick. I too, on learning of the Society, had to immediately join and loved the Society Days. I think my greatest year was meeting that little twelve-year-old girl from Bangladesh. Wonderful memories of meeting 'online' friends, getting lost in the woods and listening and meeting speakers and those wonderful book cases!

Rob Houghton is our current Masterchef and I can never eat enough of his food. Liberally sprinkled with illustrations, such a great read.The mention of Tal-y-bont brought back memories as we also have holidayed there. 'Cheap sweets' immediately made me think of those disgusting 'Dolly Mixtures' too. I hated them – however my worst concoction were those flying saucers filled with powder – a bit like chewing blotting paper. As for conkers, yes, we all used to bake ours in the oven! I always keep a dictionary (or Google!) nearby as I usually learn some new words in these articles. Word of the Journal this time was alliteration – also used (I think) by Anita in her piece.

In Tim Venning's piece on the '78 FF series, he mentions Tony Booth. Through research (IMDb) I can find no credit of Booth to this episode, so would imagine it was another Booth.

Anita's articles are always most interesting to read. A move to south Wiltshire was a bonus in this one as she is now much closer to Enid's first editions and typescripts! Again, liberally sprinkled with Eileen's illustrations it made for a really good article on the doyen of Enid's series.

The picture on the back cover of Boys' & Girls' Circus Book had me looking up eBay. I needn't have bothered , a quick run upstairs to my library (if Julie can call her spare bedroom a study, I can call mine a library!) and I found not one, but two copies of the 1949 reprint edition, renamed, Enid Blyton's Circus Book.

Another super Journal that made me instantly re-subscribe! Thanks, everyone.
Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Thank you for your kind words on my article, Nigel - always appreciated. I enjoy writing them and can only hope that others enjoy reading them! I know you have had 'issues' with my 'cookbook' title for a while...so I'm extra glad you are still reading them! For fans - and for those who avoid them like the plague - I have only another two planned parts before this giant cookery book comes to an end. Always a problem...what to write next?! ;-)

I've been rather remiss in writing an in-depth review of this Journal...mainly because I've only read about half of it so far - illustrating my 'Mouse' book and doing other things has taken precedence for a while, but I will hopefully get to reading and reviewing it in the next week or so! :D
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Please do, Rob - and anyone else who is still reading the Journal. It's always lovely to read people's comments at any time.

Your detailed write-up makes for interesting reading, Nigel.
Moonraker wrote:When I saw the title, Noddy Recycled, I immediately thought of Anita. I'm afraid she would have put Noddy into landfill, not the recycling bin!
He's made of wood, and there's nothing more cheerful than a blazing bonfire! :twisted: :wink:
Moonraker wrote:The picture on the back cover of Boys' & Girls' Circus Book had me looking up eBay. I needn't have bothered , a quick run upstairs to my library (if Julie can call her spare bedroom a study, I can call mine a library!) and I found not one, but two copies of the 1949 reprint edition, renamed, Enid Blyton's Circus Book.
Ooh - the word "library" makes me think of wooden panels, galleries of aromatic old hardbacks and an atmosphere of hallowed hush! I've only just bought Billy bookcases for my flat and have finally started unpacking my books. Quite a job, but a pleasurable one!

I've also got the Enid Blyton's Circus Book incarnation of that title (only one copy - not two!) and it's a cracking story. I only came across it in my thirties and it's about fifteen years since I read it, so I must return to it in the near future.

Society Member
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:Please do, Rob - and anyone else who is still reading the Journal. It's always lovely to read people's comments at any time.
I had some very busy weeks and still had no chance to take 2 or 3 hours in order to finish reading the latest EBS Journal.
A kingdom for MORE time!!!
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Glad you enjoyed my article, Nigel. It's funny that I now always refer to the 'ice cream van' as a 'musical van'. Sadly we don't hear much of them down our way, but it does bring back fantastic childhood memories when I do hear that 'musical ice-cream van.'

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

For various reasons, I've only just got around to reading the current journal but I enjoyed Tony's editorial and the articles by John Lester and William Ferguson so far. Uncle Quentin always intrigued me when I first read the books and Smugglers Top was one of my favourite books in the series. I notice from the contents page that the Famous Five feature predominantly in this issue and I look forward to reading the other articles in due course. Thanks to all the contributors and Tony for making it happen.
Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Really glad you're enjoying it so far John.
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Judith Crabb
Favourite book/series: Boys' and Girls' Circus Book/Adventure Series

Post by Judith Crabb »

As a new member I received my first Journal the other day. Imagine my delight when I was welcomed by a springtime front cover and (what a coincidence) the picture of my number one favourite novel by Enid Blyton on the back 'Boys' and Girls' Circus Book'. No novel so stimulated my childhood imagination as did this one. In hindsight I suspect that the novel reconciled two imperatives which at the time I was only dimly conscious of - the need to escape and the importance of belonging. Susy-Ann and her brother escaped with the circus and found sanctuary. I was breathless with amazement that children could determine their own futures by having the courage to be disobedient! And everything turned out for the best. How unmoralistic is that?

I have now read most of the journal's contents and it has lived up to the high expectations created by the cover.

Judith Crabb
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

I'm glad you enjoyed the Journal, Judith. Every issue brings further information and insights, all beautifully presented.

I didn't come across Boys' and Girls' Circus Book until I was in my early thirties (in fact I have the later printing with the title Enid Blyton's Circus Book), but I found the story thoroughly absorbing. I did read the three Galliano's Circus books as a child, and Come to the Circus!, and I loved them. The idea of belonging to a community which operated outside everyday life, full of wonders and dangers yet gloriously cosy, appealed immensely.

Society Member