Journal 68

What did you think of the latest Journal?
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Re: Journal 68

Post by Rob Houghton »

Thanks for your kind words about my article in The Journal, John - and I'm pleased you've been enjoying them all! I didn't realise I had made mention of further episodes of my article in the past installments - but fans will be pleased to hear I have a further three instalments planned (and those who aren't fans will have to just grin and bear it lol!!). Its been a fun (and fairly easy, admittedly!) series of articles to write, and I've enjoyed exploring my thoughts on Enid's various books - especially some of my childhood memories.

I agree completely about The Rubadub Mystery - it is easily the best book Enid ever wrote, in my opinion - and I feel the same way as you do - you sum it up so well - I may prefer Valley of Adventure as a story but Rubadub is her finest writing hands down.

I did indeed pretty much 'stop reading' after the age of 13 or 14, until the age of around 22. I did do a lot of 'prescribed reading' for O Level and A Level exams etc, but not much 'reading for pleasure'. During this time I read books like The Grapes of Wrath, Lord of the Flies, The Chocolate War, the Rainbow, the Great Gatsby and Jane Eyre for example...but much of the pleasure was missing as I was 'told' to read them for essays etc. I've never liked being told what to read - one reason I rarely take part in readathons very often!

One exception to this was reading 'Rebecca' by Daphne DuMaurier for the first time, aged about 17. I borrowed it from my local library and I was 'blown away' as they say. It remains one of my favourite adult novels to this day.

I also read a lot of factual books in this time, more than fiction. I became a big fan of old Hollywood musicals of the 1930's and 40's during my late teens, and read many, many books on the history of movies and movie musicals, as well as books on local folklore (another love of mine) and history - particularly Saxon/Viking history of Britain, Celtic history, Elizabethan, and early Victorian social history - so I wasn't exactly 'off reading' altogether.

:D
Last edited by Rob Houghton on 25 Mar 2019, 15:28, edited 2 times in total.
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

Lucky Star wrote:Well I have now sighed deeply and put Journal 68 onto the shelf with all of it's predecessors. Or as many of them as I possess anyway. What an excellent read it was. Tony's editorial unfortunately contained more alarming news of dropping subscription numbers and yet again I was left to wonder how on earth anyone with an interest in Enid Blyton could forego renewing their subscription to this brilliant publication. This malaise is both saddening and puzzling, let us hope it does not spell the end for our Journal. Not just yet anyway.
Exactly my point, John!
People are willing in the depths of a recession to go out for dinner (I witnessed that many times between 2008 and 2011), but they rather unsubscribe their favorite magazine. I just don't get it! :roll:
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Rob Houghton wrote:fans will be pleased to hear I have a further three instalments planned :D
Good news indeed. I completely agree that enforced reading is the absolute worst reading. I had to do Great Expectations in school and resolutely ignored the book for about twenty years after. When I finally re-read it as part of a Dickens phase I went through I found that I loved it though. I also had to do Persuasion by Jane Austen and that was so horrific that I have never ever read anything by Austen since. So I guess it can cut botrh ways.

I must say however that The Grapes of Wrath is one of my all time favourite books. It's absolutely brilliant in my opinion. :D
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

Lucky Star wrote:I must say however that The Grapes of Wrath is one of my all time favourite books. It's absolutely brilliant in my opinion. :D
I read "The Grapes of Wrath", it's a lot better than "Of Men and Mice" which we had to read at school.
Overall I prefer John Steinbeck compared with Ernest Hemingway. For me Steinbeck is more "readable".
My Steinbeck favorites are "East of Eden" (the James Dean movie which I love and watched countless times covers only the top of the iceberg so to speak, the last third of the novel or so) and "Travels with Charley" which is autobiographical and tells about Steinbeck's trip in his self-built RV Rosinante with his large poodle Charley. Steinbeck wanted to interview people at the eve of the presidential election in 1960 (JFK was elected).
"Travels with Charley" was filmed for TV, but I was never able to find a copy. :cry:
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I thoroughly enjoyed Journal 68. :D Tony's editorial piqued my interest and made me chuckle, though it's sad that the number of subscribers is declining.

Thanks for people's comments on my own article. I find Anne particularly interesting in Five on a Treasure Island as she hasn't yet been dubbed "a good little housewife" and she's more adventurous, artful and resourceful than people generally give her credit for.

Rob's 'Cookery Book' article on the mysteries is lively and entertaining. As a child, I also thought that good children's books had to involve cooks, gardeners and bedtime bells! I included ingredients like that in my own stories without thinking twice about it, despite that fact that they didn't feature in my daily life! I even chose names like Doreen, Nora, Bob and Len for my characters, believing that those were the right kinds of names for 'book children'! The Stanley Lloyd picture for 'The Lonely Old House' is striking - let's hope that branch holds!

The letters written in 1942 to illustrator Horace Knowles are quite startling. Knowles did some marvellous work for fantasy tales but it's hard to imagine what his Famous Five illustrations might have been like. His style is heavy, rich and intricate - brilliant for titles like The Enid Blyton Book of Fairies and The Land of Far-Beyond but a world away from the light fluidity of Eileen Soper's Famous Five pictures. The Mr. Pink-Whistle comment is puzzling. Oh, and it's delightful to see Enid Blyton saying to Horace Knowles, "You are a brick..."!

'The Unlucky Feather' is an imaginative story and Knowles' surreal drawings suit it perfectly. I particularly like the picture showing the king, complete with flowing beard, sitting down suddenly on a pig!

In Tim Venning's article on the 1970s Famous Five TV series it's interesting to read how the the programme-makers dealt with the problem of the tunnel in Five Go Off to Camp. Surely Chris Wilkinson can't have been born in 1941 though, if he played the part of Jock!

Bob from The Six Bad Boys is one of my favourite characters and I agree with John Henstock and Basil Henriques that it's a "really excellent" and "absolutely brilliant" book. The novel is beautifully structured and the story of Bob tugs at the heartstrings.

Did Enid Blyton do the sketch of Old Thatch herself at the top of the article for Nature Lover? I like it when she waxes lyrical about nature, writing of April's "springing exultance" and of the moor-hens "going like clockwork birds." I hadn't heard that you should "turn your silver over for luck" upon hearing the first cuckoo.

The Ladies' Year Book 1929 gives us a fascinating glimpse of Enid's life in the year she and Hugh moved from Elfin Cottage to Old Thatch. It helps us build a picture of their life to hear about Whist Drives, frozen pipes, press dinners, the Thompsons offering the Pollocks their estate offices, the hiring and firing of domestic staff, the Sayers coming to visit, buying Old Thatch (for £2,750!), etc. Gosh, what a description of Daisy (not our Daisy, I hasten to add!) "looking so evil... as if she absolutely hated me. She will go off her head one day if she doesn't mind." And then there's poor Malloy, who is described as "rather a rabbit"! I love Tony's quips and comments beneath the entries!

Winfried Secker's article is wide-ranging, with a thoughtful appraisal of authors like Erich Kastner and Astrid Lindgren as well as Enid Blyton.

'You're Mean' is a detailed story, psychologically interesting, with a strong moral message. I'd have enjoyed it if I'd come across it as a child.

The book flyer for Enid Blyton's Nature Lessons is lovely and I like the picture of Enid in a reflective mood. Good to see the photo from the family album and the cover of Let's Garden too. Great stuff!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Lenoir »

My Journal arrived today in fine condition. That's the proper way to end a week. I have renewed my membership as well, as per the reminder slip.
I will start it tonight and carry on over the next few days.
Interesting to see that Noddy is 70.
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Post by number 6 »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:In Tim Venning's article on the 1970s Famous Five TV series it's interesting to read how the the programme-makers dealt with the problem of the tunnel in Five Go Off to Camp. Surely Chris Wilkinson can't have been born in 1941 though, if he played the part of Jock
If he were born in 41, then he certainly did well to keep his youthful looks! He must've used oil of Ulay! :lol:
I think Tim possibly meant to say CW was born in 1961? :D
Boatbuilder
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Famous 5, Secret Seven, Five Findouters

Post by Boatbuilder »

on 18th March Nick wrote:
Boatbuilder wrote:I'm beginning to wonder if the River Waveney has flooded and Lowestoft has become an island, Rob.

I've been waiting in all day for a DVD boxed set to arrive from Amazon and am still waiting. :D ;)

edit: Flood receded and it arrived just after 5-30. :D
Totally unrelated but is the Jolly Sailors still going in Pakefield? I've juts noticed your location and spent many a happy summer at Oulton Broad with my Grandparents. :D
Sorry, but I have only just seen your post, Nick. Yes the Jolly Sailors is still going, although I haven't been in there for a number of years:
http://www.moss-co.com/the-jolly-sailors/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"You can't change history as that won't change the future"

John's Pictures of Suffolk - https://suffolk-world.com/

Society Member
timv

Post by timv »

Yes, 1961 is the right date -a slip of my typing!
Society Member
Aussie Sue
Favourite book/series: Secret Island, Faraway Tree & FindOuter Series

Post by Aussie Sue »

I received Journal 68 two days ago. I don't usually comment as being in Australia I always receive mine 2-3 weeks after everyone has made their comments. I read everyone's comments whilst anxiously waiting for mine to arrive.

I loved all contributions as usual but I must admit I was most excited by the 1929 Diary. Thank you for sharing this with us Tony. To actually get see what Enid was doing and thinking at that time, in her own words is so special.

Tony please share more of this Diary with us in the next Journal.

Thank you to everyone who contributes to these wonderful Journals and double thanks to you Tony.

cheers
Sue
Society Member
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Post by number 6 »

timv wrote:Yes, 1961 is the right date -a slip of my typing!
An easy mistake to make, Tim! :D
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

I've enjoyed reading Journal 68, once again packed with interesting and well-written articles. One of the delights of the journal is the reproduction of the dustwrapper for the Enid Blyton Book of Fairies on the centre pages. As a collector, I love to see these covers which I'm extremely unlikely to own myself. Thanks to all the contributors and Tony for a very professionally produced journal.
Just one small point, whilst reading the uncollected story, You're Mean, Mrs Lacey said, Dora come here, is this your ring? Dora looked at it and said, yes it is, it should have my initials very small, yes-I.L.R. I thought her name was Dora so how come the initials on the ring spelt ILR?
Society Member
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

I wondered that too John but perhaps her full name is Isadora after the famous dancer Isadora Duncan.
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

That's a good idea Kate Mary, but it seems an odd idea for Enid to think along those lines. It's a strange mistake to make whatever way you try to rationalize!
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Lenoir »

A brilliant journal.
It was interesting to read about Enid Blyton and her books in Germany and the other authors.
It was also good to read about the background to Smuggler’s Top, smuggling in general, and a bit more about marshes.
I also enjoyed part 2 of Anita’s article. ‘Five on a treasure island’ was the first book I read in the series and must have imprinted itself quite vividly on my imagination. For all the other series I only read the first book later after a few others. We also used to play the board game Buccaneer as children so that brought back a memory as well. Interesting to see that the book reveals a lot about Anne’s character, This is easy to overlook as she is often overshadowed by the more dominant George and Julian.