Journal 67

What did you think of the latest Journal?
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Re: Journal 67

Post by Eddie Muir »

Another superb edition, which I have thoroughly enjoyed reading. Many thanks to Tony and all the contributors. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Really enjoyed the Journal, but then I always enjoy reading the Journal and the contributions inside.

I've enjoyed reading Ilsa's contributions, of the 'after parts' of some of Enid's stories. Shows how much we love these books and the characters to want everyone to know their own thoughts on what happened afterwards.

Anita, as always inspires one to read the book she is writing about. Great article Timv. Your dedication to this series and the locations is awesome.

Thanks to Tony for putting it all together, and the contributors. :D

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

Thank you Julie, it's good to know my thoughts of how some minor characters turned out is appreciated. I have enjoyed thinking about them and guessing how things may have happened for them.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Sallyh
Favourite book/series: Adventure series/Find-Outers and Barney series

Post by Sallyh »

A great issue and so enjoyed all the articles. There was a particular focus this time on the Famous Five and it has made me want to re-read this series, although it was never one of my favourites - the Adventure series, the Mystery series and the Barney series being my favourites - including the specials such as the Mistletoe Farm series, one of Enid's best. Thank you Tony for another great issue.4
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Post by number 6 »

Hello to Eddie & Julie2owlsdene! I've missed you both! :D
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

Thank you for your kind comment, Number 6. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
number 6

Post by number 6 »

You're welcome, Eddie. Nice to hear from you! :D
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Thank you, number 6, nice of you to say. :)

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
number 6

Post by number 6 »

It's nice to hear from you, Julie! :D
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

number 6 wrote:Hello to Eddie & Julie2owlsdene! I've missed you both! :D
Completely agree. It was lovely to see Eddie and Julie back on the forums - I've missed their contributions - and also those of John Pickup. :D
Last edited by Rob Houghton on 27 Nov 2018, 23:51, edited 1 time in total.
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

Many thanks for your kind words, Rob. :D

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Another excellent Journal - a big thank you to Tony for producing a magazine of such quality as well as quantity. Tony always pays attention to detail and it's great that he chose a November Sunny Stories Calendar page (1951) which chimes with November 2018 (i.e. 1st November falling on a Thursday, etc.) The illustration by Dorothy Wheeler is scrumptious and is just one of many wonderful illustrations throughout the Journal, not least the beautiful seasonal front cover, the Poll the Parrot centre-spread (I particularly like Poll being hosed by the gardener!) and the News Chronicle birthday party invitation on the back.

It's interesting too to see the Phyllis Chase illustration above the Editorial, though the children and beds seem out of proportion to me! I chuckled at Tony's remark about being "in Royal David's city" - I was pleased to see the contributions from David Chambers and David Rudd as they always have something new to bring to the table. It would be nice to have another David back too - David Cook! The Ladies' Year Book sounds fascinating.

Thanks for the further comments about my own article on Five on a Treasure Island. I love the endpapers illustration that Tony has used for the title - it's extremely dramatic.

David Rudd's article on Sheila Ray was of interest to me (as was John Lester's letter) as I've read The Blyton Phenomenon three times. It's strange to think that Sheila Ray delivered a lecture in 1968 designed to ensure that librarians of the future avoided stocking Blyton books - yet soon found herself re-evaluating Enid Blyton and acknowledging her merits as a writer. I like the sound of the cottage in which Sheila lived with her husband, Colin - "how they moved around their cottage, given the piles of books everywhere, was itself a mystery. I seem to remember that there were even stacks of books on each of their stair treads, but I could be mistaken." Sounds like the home of a true book-lover!

John Lester's article on The Animals of Adventure reminded me what an incredible assortment of creatures are associated with Philip. I'd completely forgotten that Philip keeps a snail in his pocket - surely not advisable!
Daisy wrote:Now, the Famous Five meet the Scientists? Well they met a few in the 21 books we know and love but can any one tell me who Oliver Hume is?
I think it's actually Oliver Humes, a scientist's son who appears in the short story 'Good Old Timmy!'
Sallyh wrote:There was a particular focus this time on the Famous Five and it has made me want to re-read this series, although it was never one of my favourites - the Adventure series, the Mystery series and the Barney series being my favourites - including the specials such as the Mistletoe Farm series, one of Enid's best.
Your favourites are the same as mine, Sally!

I'll have more to say about the Journal in another post. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it as always.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

It's still not here. :(
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Boatbuilder
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Famous 5, Secret Seven, Five Findouters

Post by Boatbuilder »

Maybe Tony should consider an e-version as well, Chrissie. Could be done easily as a downloadable PDF file. :D
"You can't change history as that won't change the future"

John's Pictures of Suffolk - https://suffolk-world.com/

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:
Daisy wrote:Now, the Famous Five meet the Scientists? Well they met a few in the 21 books we know and love but can any one tell me who Oliver Hume is?
I think it's actually Oliver Humes, a scientist's son who appears in the short story 'Good Old Timmy!'
Thanks Anita - I'll have to keep a look out for that one - having researched it in the cave I know where to look.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member