Journal 67

What did you think of the latest Journal?
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Re: Journal 67

Post by Chrissie777 »

Boatbuilder wrote:Maybe Tony should consider an e-version as well, Chrissie. Could be done easily as a downloadable PDF file. :D
Oh no, Boatbuilder, then I would have to print it out in order to read it (I'm near-sighted and don't like to read a lot on the computer) and it would never look as lovely as the EBS Journals which Tony sends us.
But thank you for the thought. 8)
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

We've had discussions about a possible e-version of the EBS Journal before — I can't remember the details of the pro and con arguments, but as far as I recall, the verdict was a very firm "no" from Tony.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Boatbuilder
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Famous 5, Secret Seven, Five Findouters

Post by Boatbuilder »

I just thought such a version might be of assistance to those members who are dotted about the world who have to read the comments about it on here maybe even weeks before they receive their hard copies. It must be frustrating for them. Maybe even a PDF that could be emailed to the members abroad as an attachment, particularly those outside Europe to where the mail takes longer. Just a thought.
"You can't change history as that won't change the future"

John's Pictures of Suffolk - https://suffolk-world.com/

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

I agree — and it could also save paper and printing costs and postage — but again, it's been floated before and the answer was absolutely not.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

Courtenay wrote:... as far as I recall, the verdict was a very firm "no" from Tony.
Thank God!!! :D

There used to be a lovely little movie magazine called NOW PLAYING from TCM. We received it once a month since May 2007, solved the movie crossword puzzle and read the many interesting contributions of several authors about movies and actors.
Last year TCM unfortunately decided to stop printing it (even though we paid $ 24 for the annual subscription and I'm sure thousands of other movie lovers did the same) and now it's available twice a month as a newsletter. We never check it out. :cry: And when we want to do the crossword puzzle, it only works by printing it out.
I guess the only people who have an advantage from discontinuing NOW PLAYING magazine are the people who own TCM. :roll:
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
Boatbuilder

Post by Boatbuilder »

I was talking about a totally different situation, Chrissie. My suggestion was purely as an additional 'bonus' to those who seem to have to wait for a length of time to receive and read the hard copy. I am sure Tony is not in it for the money like TCM - if he was it would be a lot more than £10 a year. You can always read PDF's on tablets such as iPads and Kindles which is no different, from an eyesight point of view, than reading a hard copy. In fact it has distinct advantages as you can adjust the font size on-screen to what is suitable for your own personal vision - something I found very useful before I had my cataracts done earlier this year. With hard copies you are stuck with the font size the publisher decides to print the publications in - or use a magnifying glass which is not really good for the eyes with lengthy use.

Society Member
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

Then I totally misunderstood you, John. I apologize.
I thought your suggestion was to replace the EBS Journal at some point by PDF.

When we tried to get the White House Hotel brochure sent via snail mail instead of an PDF attachment, it was hard to persuade their staff (and this was in 2013!). I just get the general impression that everything goes PDF and books or magazines are less and less available as paper copies or in hardcover. I grew up with hardcover books and always prefered them. Seeing how books are published more and more often as paperbacks only makes me sad (and I end up buying much less books than I used to, because I'm near-sighted and simply don't like Kindle and paperbacks).
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
Boatbuilder

Post by Boatbuilder »

Chrissie777 wrote: Then I totally misunderstood you, John. I apologize.
Apologies not necessary, Chrissie - I thought that might have been the case, although I did say 'as well' in my original post on the subject and which you quoted in your original reply. ;)

Society Member
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

It's the language barrier, John. English is not my native language. :oops:
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
Boatbuilder

Post by Boatbuilder »

I wasn't aware your native language wasn't English Chrissie, it's not apparent, although I know you have referred to living in Germany so I guess that's your native one. If it's not, no doubt you will correct me. :D

Society Member
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

John, you couldn't have given me a nicer compliment. I'm glad my English gets better. :D
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

I haven't received the journal yet. Usually, I receive it within 1 week after UK's forumites receive theirs. Hope to receive it in this week. :D
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Hope you receive the Journal soon if it hasn't come yet, Chrissie and Sixret.

Regarding making the Journal available as a PDF file, I know Tony is unable to produce the Journal as a single PDF file. He has to produce it as several PDFs and they're massive. We once asked Keith about putting up some early issues of the Journal online but he said they were too big and would take up too much space.
Courtenay wrote:The latest entry from Rob's Enid Blyton Cookery Book is one of my favourite recipes — the Galliano books have been among my biggest favourites since I was little! I totally agree Lotta is Enid's best character and more well-rounded than George. The only other one of Enid's circus books I've read is Come to the Circus!, which I agree is quite different and surprisingly sombre — one that's much more about the relationships between the characters, children and adults, than about the circus itself. It's certainly interesting to wonder how much of Enid's failed attempt at an adult novel might have found its way into this and other circus books.
timv wrote:I have always felt that there is more to the Galliano books than you would assume, and that Enid gives the readers a subtle lesson in 'leadership skills' in her portrayal of the disaster that hits the circus after Britomart takes over. Mr Galliano is not just a 'simplistic' and jolly father-figure in a sideways-leaning top hat; he knows how to motivate people and Britomart doesn't! Circus Days Again is a study in a community breaking up - and with a 'modern' feisty heroine doing something to stop it.
I love reading Rob's "Cookery Book" articles and I agree with Courtenay that the circus recipe is one of the best. Like Rob, I felt the lure of the circus as a child. It was a real-life existence that seemed to be touched by magic - a life of extraordinarily talented people and animals, glorious costumes, ever-changing scenery and cosy caravans. Come to the Circus! has always stood out to me as being unusually deep and emotional and I particularly like Rob's thoughtful comment about Aunt Lou spending her days in her caravan "mending clothes for the show folk; creating sparkle out of a life that is devoid of it."

I also agree with Tim that reading about Britomart and Mr. Galliano gives children a lesson in leadership skills. Mr. Galliano is very much part of the circus community that he leads, whereas Britomart never really seems to belong.

In Angela Canning's article on "Dame" Enid Blyton it's fascinating to read extracts from Teachers World contributions and reflect upon how Enid boosted the morale of her young readers and comforted and encouraged them during wartime. I hadn't realised that Enid Blyton had held a competition in which three of her Siamese kittens were given away as prizes. Somewhat risky, but I expect she made sure the winners' parents or guardians were happy to have the kittens.

Ilsa's 'A Letter for George' is lovely and I also like the rhythmic poem 'To Fairyland', with quaint-looking pictures by Horace Knowles.

'She Didn't Catch the Bus!' is an interesting story but somewhat bizarre. The plan that's carried out is far-fetched, the "bad" child isn't reformed and the "good" children are a little mean themselves. 'The Magic Nectar' is delightful and is charmingly illustrated by Lola Onslow and Jo White.

David Chambers' articles are always extremely thorough and he gives a real insight into the potential problems of stating exact numbers of books written.

I was interested to learn from Tim Venning that the director of the 1970s Five Go to Smuggler's Top, Peter Duffell, also directed ITV's The Adventures of Black Beauty - another series I watched as a child. I didn't watch EastEnders in the early 2000s and I had no idea that Charlotte Avery (Marybelle) had been in it! Five Go to Smuggler's Top and Five Go Off in a Caravan are two of my favourite 1970s adaptations.

Enid Blyton's 'From My Window' gives us a glimpse of the garden next door to her Chelsea flat (in Beaufort Mansions), which is fascinating. I wonder whether the garden is still there after all these years. We learn that Enid and Hugh lived on the second floor. If I remember correctly, Hugh later lived at Beaufort Mansions again with Ida Crowe - but in a different flat.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:Hope you receive the Journal soon if it hasn't come yet, Chrissie and Sixret.
Regarding making the Journal available as a PDF file, I know Tony is unable to produce the Journal as a single PDF file. He has to produce it as several PDFs and they're massive. We once asked Keith about putting up some early issues of the Journal online but he said they were too big and would take up too much space.
Thank you, Anita. I hope it will get here some time this week. It didn't arrive with this afternoon's mail.
Maybe Tony sent out the EBS Journals later than usual?
Most of the time I still received it in November.
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

I started this review a week ago and unbelievably just as I neared the end of it all the power went off as some men working on the roads sliced through a cable or something. I lost the entire thing and that threw me into a rotten mood so I abandoned the effort and am only now returning to it.

I began with Anita's FOATI article. I was initially confused as I tore into it too quickly to notice the "part one" under the title and so reached the end thinking "she's left quite a lot out this time". I quickly realised the error and am very pleased indeed that there is to be more on this one of my favourite books. It's combination of freshness, adventure, remote islands, castle and boats grabbed me instantly. And when a violent storm threw an old wrecked sailing ship up out of the sea and Eileen Soper helpfully provided one of the most dramatic illustrations in all Blyton to show me the scene I was hooked for life on this book. I agree wholeheartedly with Anita on the quality of Soper's work on this book. Every picture is simply bursting with life and is utterly evocative of the mood in that part of the book. I really feel sorry for people who read later editions without these illustrations. In my opinion they missed out on a large chunk of what makes the book special. It's possibly the knowledge that another twenty adventures stretch out ahead that make me always feel like I'm at the start of the hols when I read this book. It heralds in an endless vista of fun and adventure ahead.

I've actually never read Sheila Ray's seminal work on Blyton but she sounds like a fascinating person. As someone else said it is odd how she steered librarians away from Enid only to reassess her own opinions later on. And her house sounds divine. An isolated cottage crammed with books? Lead me there please. :D

John Lester's article on Philip's pets was thoroughly enjoyable. As the Adventure series remains my all time favourite Blyton book series I was already familiar with his predilection for collecting unusual pets. But having them all laid out in one handy article lays out not only how good he was with animals but also Enid's own inventiveness in always managing to find him something new to carry about in each book.

Likewise Angela Canning's article brought home just how much time, money and energy Enid invested in her charities. Again I knew she did a lot for charity but seeing it all laid out over three or four pages makes it look awe inspiring.

Ilsa's letter from Sniffer was a brilliant idea. He'a rather a minor character in the overall Blyton canon but still a very lovable one so it was great to her a little more from him and to hear that he finally got his desired bicycle. Ilsa manages to get the tone of his letter perfectly correct; it really could have been written by the child himself.

On to Rob Houghton's cookery book. Unlike Nigel I find the idea excellent, a perfect foil for covering a wide number of books in one article and Rob always makes the discussion a lively one. I often find myself nodding in agreement with Rob (I think we're a similar age, perhaps that has something to do with it) and here no exception as Mr Galliano's Circus is one of my favourite books as well. I too dreamed of being Jimmy Brown and thought his life was utterly perfect. What I wouldn't have given to do the same and never have to go to school again. Unlike Rob I often went to circuses in real life and always loved them. I did not find them disappointing in the least although it's now been about thirty five years since I last saw one. I'm sure they've changed. I also thought the final installment Circus days Again was the strongest in terms of it's plot and character development but it's the original book which will always live largest in my memory, my own personal favourite. The Circus Book sounds fascinating. I always find something new in Rob's articles and this time it's that book. I can dimly recall reading some discussion of it in the past but I've certainly never read it. Given that Rob rates it as "hard to find in any form" I probably never will. But overall another great article in this dynamic cookbook series.

David Chambers has obviously put a great deal of research into his highly interesting article on Enid's output. This is a subject which often provokes lively debate and it was good to have a sensible and structured approach taken to it.

Likewise our own Tim Venning's outstanding research into the locations of the 1978 FF TV series continues to make hugely enjoyable reading. I take my hat off to Tim for ferreting out so many of the original locations even though many of them have changed over the years. The photos he has supplied bring back instant memories of the scenes which were played out there. Hopefully this series will run and run.

The Famous Five and the Scientists was another great read. William Ferguson's wide ranging article held my attention from beginning to end with it's clever mix of the factual and the fictional.

Enid's own contributions were outstanding as always. The Magic Nectar reminded me vaguely of the later Book of Brownies with it's quest through Fairyland for something important. It's always great to see Enid's early works as they show us clearly how she made her way towards the eventual bestsellers which we know and love so well.

Thanks as always to all the contributors and again as always to our tireless editor who pulls the whole thing together in a manner few other magazine subscribers would believe possible for the price. The EBS Journal is always outstanding value for money and a thing of beauty to hold and behold. Number 67 now takes it's place proudly on the shelf next to all it's predecessors.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member