Journal 67

What did you think of the latest Journal?
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Re: Journal 67

Post by Rob Houghton »

Update - my Journal has arrived! :-D

Taking of Sheila Ray, and 'The Blyton Phenomenon' - a book I must admit I've never much liked, but maybe I should reread it and see if I still feel the same - I was hoping to have a Very Good copy of this to sell - and also a Very Good copy of Imogen's 'Childhood At Green Hedges'...but it rather looks as if they will be dumped into a skip, unfortunately! :-(

My dad's rambling friend, Rodney, recently sadly died. While he was ill, he asked me to be sure and get the Enid Blyton books from his house, which he wanted me to have - including a hardback of The Land of Far-Beyond and several Fives etc - plus the Sheila Ray book and Imogen's book, plus several early editions of Billy Bunter. He wanted me to have them to sell, as he knew I sold books and has always had a love of Enid Blyton (he was the first person to read my three follow-on novels published on this website).

Sadly though, his 'girlfriend' has now taken over and my dad no longer has a key to Rodney's house - so I rather missed the boat, not wanting to take these books like some vulture while Rodney was still alive. Its likely that Ritu (his Indian girlfriend, to whom he has left the house etc) will just clear out the books and throw them away. Such a shame! :-(
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

timv wrote:and the strengths of the Circus books - I have always felt that there is more to the Galliano books than you would assume, and that Enid gives the readers a subtle lesson in 'leadership skills' in her portrayal of the disaster that hits the circus after Britomart takes over. Mr Galliano is not just a 'simplistic' and jolly father-figure in a sideways-leaning top hat; he knows how to motivate people and Britomart doesn't! Circus Days Again is a study in a community breaking up - and with a 'modern' feisty heroine doing something to stop it.
Good point, Tim. I've always found the last part of Circus Days Again to be one of Enid's most deeply moving plots — especially once you've followed the adventures of the circus community through the previous two books up to this point, you do realise just what an influence Galliano's fair and thoughtful and kind-hearted leadership has on them all and how much they really are a family, as Galliano himself says near the end. It's heart-wrenching — well, it certainly was to me as an 11- or 12-year-old reading that book for the first time — to see that family being torn apart by Britomart's hard-heartedness. I think I was just about cheering out loud as Lotta rode off on her mission to save the circus!! :D

Thanks for your own article on the Famous Five TV locations, too — I've never really watched the '70s series, but it's amazing how much work you devoted fans have put into tracking down so many filming locations and other important info about the show. Well done!

Edit: Glad you've got the Journal, Rob, but sorry to hear about your dad's friend and about all those books that may be thrown away now. :(
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Post by number 6 »

Well done to timv for his excellent article on the F5 TV series locations. This was well written, well presented and very interesting. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. It only seems like yesterday since I went on a walkabout in the New Forest with Tim & Gary. Time has flown by :D
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Courtenay wrote: sorry to hear about your dad's friend and about all those books that may be thrown away now. :(
Thanks Courtenay. It was very sad, as Rodney was only 73 (my dad is ten years older) and very fit - vegan, vegetarian, walked everywhere, very slim and active, non-smoker, non-drinker - yet he was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in August and dead by November :-(

I keep hoping that Ritu might respect Rodney's wishes regarding the children's books he wanted me to have...but I don't think he wrote any of it down in his will, so I think I should have been more pushy and got them out earlier. :cry:
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

Could you not just gently enquire, Rob? She may be glad to offload some if they're still there. It's sad that you may be denied a memento of your friend.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I have just spent an extremely pleasant afternoon devouring (not literally) the latest Journal.

I normally savour the magazine over several days, if not weeks. However, once enthralled in this edition, I couldn't put it down, and read the whole issue in one sitting. I made notes of a few things that I felt worthy of mentioning:

I was amazed to read in Anita's article, "Five on a Treasure Island", that the title is an anagram of "Fun, sea air, isle and trove". How incredible is that? I am curious to know a) what made you wonder if there could be a set of words hidden within the title, and b) how long it took you to work it out, Anita! I must say that I shared almost identical emotions when reading this title for the first time. I remember vividly puzzling over Julian's remark about the name, Georgina, and also hearing of the name Quentin for the first time, thinking, "what an odd name!" I had a class-mate, Francis, who was always known as Fanny, and knew several Dicks, so these names had no different meanings for me. I must also make note of the uncanny resemblance of Simon and Garfunkel's lyrics to George. So true and apt.

I had to smile to myself when reading "A Letter For George". As there was no credit to the author below the title, I turned the page to see who wrote article. I then read in the opening paragraph, ""...if they are not sure of the writer, she turned to the last page." Exactly what I had done! I enjoyed Mrs Johnson's letter very much, only I would have liked to have had some news of Henry.

In Rob's "Cookery Book" article (I do find this series title rather irritating!), he states that The Circus Book in any of its versions is hard to find. I hot-footed it up to my library and discovered I had two copies! One in a dust jacket, but both were illustrated by R Webster. I don't think I have ever read it, so will correct that anomaly later - or at least, after I have finished reading Tombland! I also noted the names of the three elephants - Rag, Tag and Bobtail. Names more associated with me in the Watch With Mother series of the 50s of the same name. I owe my nostalgic love of circuses to Enid's circus stories and as a child, often thought of running away with the circus!

Fact met fiction in William E Ferguson's article - I noticed his use of the Barnard surname! It made an interesting read to compare real-life and fictional details of these people.

Another super edition which having finished, I rather wish I had eked it out like I have with other issues! Thanks to all concerned for another fab read.
Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

:lol: :lol: apologies for inventing such an irritating title! I kind of agree, after having written five instalments, and realising there are about another four to come!! :lol: :lol: :twisted:
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I might have to go on a diet. :|
Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

If you keep doing the quizzes the way you have been you'll burn tons of calories Nigel!
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I'll share my thoughts on Journal 67 when I have more time (it was excellent as always!) but I just wanted to thank all those who have said they enjoyed my article. It's good to have feedback.
Nick wrote:I adore the way Anita writes. Every article is written with such enthusiasm that I immediately want to pick up which ever book it is that she has covered. Book with which I am familiar with a re-read with fresh eyes and there has been more than the odd purchase on eBay if it is one that I've not got in my collection.
Aw - thanks, Nick!
Moonraker wrote:I was amazed to read in Anita's article, "Five on a Treasure Island", that the title is an anagram of "Fun, sea air, isle and trove". How incredible is that? I am curious to know a) what made you wonder if there could be a set of words hidden within the title, and b) how long it took you to work it out, Anita!
a) I think I happened to notice that the word "trove" could be made, so then I looked for other words and took it from there!

b) Hard to say. Perhaps about 20 minutes.

Sorry to hear about your dad's friend, Rob. As Daisy suggested, perhaps you could gently enquire about the books.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Daisy

Post by Daisy »

Well with great self-control I managed to spread the reading of the Journal just a little bit and have now read all the articles. What a feast of goodies the Journal always is - such variety that there is something for everyone to appreciate.
I liked the Sheila Ray tribute very much. I met her through my membership of the Chalet group over 20 years ago, and have her "Island to Abbey" mentioned in the article. I knew she was involved with other groups but was unaware that "Folly" was also one of her interests. I have almost all the Folly magazines and contributed to it a few times. Thanks to David Rudd for his article.

Why is it that Anita can always make me want to reread a book even though I know it so well? Her "Five on a Treasure Island" is a satisfying read and I look forward to part 2. It's always interesting to read how someone else reacts to a story and Anita's in depth asides make for more food for thought.

"Food for thought" leads me to Rob's recipes... another great read about Enid's circus books, one of which - "Circus Days Again" - was on my wants list until yesterday when I picked up a Dean's copy for 50p. I thoroughly enjoyed reading Rob's thoughts on the various circus books interspersed with his own memories of a happy childhood. Again, like Anita's, Rob's article looks in greater depth at some of the books and his thoughts are much appreciated.

Angela Canning manages to come up with novel thoughts about Enid and her article makes one wonder if she would have been acclaimed in another age. Maybe, but maybe not. She, like us all, was a product of her time, and the country was maybe not ready to "crown" people like her.

It was good to be reminded of all the animals Philip acquired throughout the eight Adventure books - I must say I had forgotten the toad! Some of the animals were necessary for the plot and others just added colour to the story. Thanks for the reminder, John Lester.

The writing and publication dates making for different conclusions about the number of books written in one year made for an intriguing article by David Chambers and Tim Venning's diligence in research for the sites of the Famous Five TV series is impressive and is a good supplement for the thread about it on the forum.

Now, the Famous Five meet the Scientists? Well they met a few in the 21 books we know and love but can any one tell me who Oliver Hume is? I was also a bit disconcerted that George was referred throughout the article as 'Georgina' and come on... the Barnard Boys? A bit odd that the cousins are all referred to as The Kirrins later in the same article. (Enid herself admitted the use of 'Barnard' in one book was a slip on her part). That said, the information about real life scientists was interesting, so thanks for your research, William Ferguson.

Thanks Tony for your work to produce another stunning Journal. The coloured illustrations enhance an already great production.

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Daisy wrote: Now, the Famous Five meet the Scientists? Well they met a few in the 21 books we know and love but can any one tell me who Oliver Hume is? I was also a bit disconcerted that George was referred throughout the article as 'Georgina' and come on... the Barnard Boys? A bit odd that the cousins are all referred to as The Kirrins later in the same article. (Enid herself admitted the use of 'Barnard' in one book was a slip on her part).
I thought that was quite strange as well — an interesting article, but it did also seem to go off on a lot of tangents.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Daisy

Post by Daisy »

Moonraker wrote: I enjoyed Mrs Johnson's letter very much, only I would have liked to have had some news of Henry.
Sorry Nigel, Mrs Johnson didn't hear from Henry again, after she went home. :lol:

Society Member
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

Still waiting for mine, but with Thanksgiving week lots of mail from Europe might arrive with a delay.
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Daisy wrote:
"Food for thought" leads me to Rob's recipes... another great read about Enid's circus books, one of which - "Circus Days Again" - was on my wants list until yesterday when I picked up a Dean's copy for 50p. I thoroughly enjoyed reading Rob's thoughts on the various circus books interspersed with his own memories of a happy childhood. Again, like Anita's, Rob's article looks in greater depth at some of the books and his thoughts are much appreciated.
Thank you Daisy! Its always good to hear feedback and I'm pleased to know people enjoyed my article. I enjoyed writing this one, particularly, because the Galliano books were some of my favourites (and still are). :-D

I haven't read any of the Journal yet, as I've had one of those weeks - but I will start it over the next few days. :-D
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member