Journal 66

What did you think of the latest Journal?
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Re: Journal 66

Post by Rob Houghton »

Lucky Star wrote:
Anyway I was peckish so ploughed straight on into part four of Rob Houghton's ongoing Blyton cookbook series. Rob recently said he had several more episodes of this to go which is great news as these are a very entertaining series of articles indeed. Farmyard stories dominated this entry and as always I am broadly in agreement with Rob's analyses. I too rated The Children of Cherry Tree Farm rather low due to it reading more like an extended nature lesson than an exciting Enid Blyton story! I personally found Tammylan a boring character, possibly because my interest in plants and wildlife is a bit lower than seems common among Blytonians. I much preferred Twigg from The Six Cousins books as he was a part of an actual narrative rather than a sort of lecturer. As always the generous sprinkling of Rob's own personal experiences added considerable spice to the dish and I was interested in his farm memories and had to smile at the driving story. :lol: A similar thing happened to us when we were returning from holiday one time and my Mum was driving. She had not long since passed her test so was still rather nervous and a tyre blew out causing us to skid wildly across the road. Fortunately we ended up on a wide grass verge shaken but unhurt.
Thanks for the great review, John - and also good to hear your memories of your mom's driving - though the outcome was certainly a lot more dramatic than mine! :shock: :lol:

I think, when we are talking about Tammylan and his character, I probably agree with you, in The Children of Cherry Tree Farm and The Children of Willow Farm, but in More Adventures on Willow Farm he does become (slightly) more a part of the narration and is a more interesting addition to the book. As a child, I was never into nature as many children were, and this is probably why I read the third book in one sitting, as it was much less about nature and animals and more about people! More Adventures on Willow Farm is like a completely different book, compared to the first two. :-D
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

So on I went and Tim Venning's Famous Five 78 series article was particularly interesting. Firstly because I have always loved the series since seeing it for the first time back in 1978 and secondly because our recent trip to the New Forest meant that for once I could actually recognise some of the places Tim talked about. Some nice photos to accompany the article too. I look forward to the book Tim is working on being published as I am sure it will be the definitive look at this series.

I never got into Swallows and Amazons so only vaguely know the character of Nancy Blackett but John Henstock's comparison of her and George Kirrin was an illuminating analysis of these two strong willed young girls. I'll always prefer George though. :lol:

Halfway through now and a pause for the wonderful colour centrepiece. Three wonderful and nostalgic pictures depicting very Blytonian and humourous scenes. I really loved the middle one of the donkey looking interestedly at the invitation to come in and try a tea while the gypsies gathered around the cooking pot put me in mind of Old Ma from The Rilloby Fair Mystery or the wonderful stewpot from Five have a Wonderful Time.

Vain Miranda from the lady herself was a very typical story of the vain and conceited person getting their comeuppance, repenting and becoming a better person. Enid obviously loved this theme and must have written dozens if not hundreds of such stories. I did think it funny how different the Dwarves' idea of beauty was to ours.

And so on to Anita's comparison of Enid Blyton and Edith Nesbit. I haven't read many of Nesbit's books; in fact I think I have only read The Railway Children and that only as a preparation for our very enjoyable forumite trip to see the play complete with live train some years ago. But I was amazed at the sheer number of similarities and mirror images between these two famed authors that Anita brings to light and feel that they cannot be mere coincidence and I would heartily agree with her conclusion that our Enid must have been heavily influenced, even subconsciously, by Nesbit's work. Another thoroughly engrossing read from Anita as always.

Angela Canning is another regular contributor whose articles I enjoy and again no exceptions here with a very interesting look back at Blue Moon, a magazine I never saw personally but which sounds great. What a pity it did not take off.

A Letter from Richard was well crafted and made me think again about Richard Kent, a boy I had no real regard for after his cowardly behaviour in Five Get into Trouble. And then we have a grand finale with another classic Enid Blyton story, The Doll's House Exhibition.

I have long since run out of fresh superlatives to describe the EBS Journal. It continues to amaze me that it never seems to get stale or boring but instead offers up a bright new bounty of treasures with each and every edition. Profound thanks go as always to all of the writing contributors and most especially to our esteemed editor Tony Summerfield who does not receive even half the plaudits he deserves for the endless effort it must take to produce a magazine of such unvarying high quality. I'm already looking forward to number 67. :D
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Lucky Star

Post by Lucky Star »

Rob Houghton wrote:
this is probably why I read the third book in one sitting, as it was much less about nature and animals and more about people! More Adventures on Willow Farm is like a completely different book, compared to the first two. :-D
I forgot to say that I have never read the other two books. The first one actually put me off reading any more farm stories as I thought they would be similar. I had picked up Cherry Tree Farm expecting it to be like my beloved Six Cousins at Mistletoe Farm and I think my disappointment at it being so different is probably a key factor in why I disliked it and never bothered with the sequels. Maybe I should pick them up somewhere and give them a try.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I thought perhaps that was the case, and the first book had put you off! Although not quite in the same league as the Mistletoe Farm books, the third title in the Cherry Tree Farm series, More Adventures on Willow Farm comes pretty close - almost as if it shows an evolution between the strictly-nature type book to the more dramatic themes in Mistletoe Farm. It is certainly a 'bridge' book between the two series, in a way, and I highly recommend it.

The second Cherry Tree Farm book, The Children Of Willow Farm is more like The Children Of Cherry Tree Farm and is a lot less dramatic,
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I wrote a long review of the next few articles in The Journal that I'd read. It took me half an hour. Then I pressed 'submit' and it told me the internet wasn't connected. We have terrible internet connection here in the wilds of Birmingham - so I lost every word of what I'd written! Frustrating. Well, at least I attempted to write some words about the Journal.

Suffice to say, its a great Journal and I've enjoyed reading it! :evil:
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

Oh that is so frustrating Rob. It has happened to me occasionally too.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Ironically, I wrote a much longer review than usual, mentioning all contributors and writing a little piece for each article, lol! Maybe I'll post a more brief version later when I'm feeling like it!! :roll: :lol:
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Lucky Star

Post by Lucky Star »

That has happened to me in the past too. It's terribly frustrating and does put you off writing any more lengthy posts. Perhaps the answer is to write a little and then press the "save draft" button? I've never tried it so don't know for sure what it does but perhaps that would prevent a total loss. Or at least warn you at an early stage that you have no connection.

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Quite often (when I do my magazine reviews each fortnight for example) I do highlight everything I typed and then press 'copy' just in case - but on this occasion I didn't! Its the one fault of this forum - that clicking 'back' afterwards doesn't help - the message has usually gone. :-(

I say 'usually' because it usually stays around when you press 'back' as long as the internet is connected!
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Boatbuilder
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Famous 5, Secret Seven, Five Findouters

Post by Boatbuilder »

Rob Houghton wrote: Its the one fault of this forum - that clicking 'back' afterwards doesn't help - the message has usually gone. :-(

I say 'usually' because it usually stays around when you press 'back' as long as the internet is connected!
Yes, I have found that as well, Rob. Strange, as my own forum uses the same phpBB software and I have no trouble retrieving something with the back button.

If I wish to write anything lengthy though, I tend to write it in 'Word' first and copy it across - just in case!
"You can't change history as that won't change the future"

John's Pictures of Suffolk - https://suffolk-world.com/

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Argh - it is annoying to lose a post, especially when it's one that has taken some time to compose.

As a child I read More Adventures on Willow Farm before its two prequels and found the other two rather lacking in drama by comparison. I still enjoyed the rural setting, the general ambience and the information about farming and British wildlife, but More Adventures on Willow Farm remains my favourite.

I must say I envied Tammylan his almost self-subsistent way of life and thought it sounded exciting to live in a willow house or cave and befriend animals and birds, though the reality would no doubt have been tough.

What has stuck with me from The Children of Willow Farm is the glorious description of moving to a dream house in beautiful surroundings. Enid Blyton makes it sound so cosy and idyllic. She recaptures that feeling in The Children at Happy House and Happy House, like Willow Farm, has certain features which are reminiscent of Old Thatch.

More Adventures on Willow Farm is altogether darker and the episode that has always stayed with me from that book is Rory becoming "too big for his boots" and taking the decision to burn a stubble field - with serious consequences. I learnt a great deal from that trio of books as a youngster but didn't necessarily realise that I was learning so much - I simply enjoyed the feeling of being part of a farming family and seeing what would happen next.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

One thing I noticed about the Cherry Tree Farm books is that they all start in the same way - with the children looking out of a window! That's one way to make it plain these all belong to the same series, I guess!

The Children of Cherry Tree Farm starts - One early spring day three children looked out of a window in a tall London house...

The Children of Willow Farm starts - One wild March day four excited children looked down from the windows of a tall London house, and watched three enormous vans draw slowly up in the square outside...

More Adventures on Willow Farm starts - Four children sat looking out of a farm house window at the whirling snow. It was January and a cold spell had set in...
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Interesting observation, Rob!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I have thoroughly enjoyed the latest Journal. I intended to write my review/thoughts on it, but have been plagued lately with retinal migraines of increasing frequency. Because of this, I am limiting my time drastically in front of a screen. With three other forums to moderate, this is quite a challenge. We have also been very busy with over two weeks recently spent in Surbiton, house and cat-sitting for our son whilst they were on holiday.

Thanks to all concerned for a wonderful journey.
Society Member
Lucky Star

Post by Lucky Star »

Nice to hear from you again Nigel. I do hope those migraines clear up soon.

Society Member