Journal 65

What did you think of the latest Journal?
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Re: Journal 65

Post by pete9012S »

Make the most of it.
When you retire like Nigel you will be so busy you won't have a minute in the day to yourself! :D
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

Very true, Pete. :lol:
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Blimey, Chrissie - shame it wasn't April 1st, I would have really got you! You have cheered me up! :D
Society Member
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

:wink: :wink: :wink:
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

My Journal was waiting for me when I arrived home and all the pages seem to be okay. :)

So far I have only read 4 articles - the Editorial, which is what I always read first, and then I went onto Ilsa's take on what happened to Dick after he'd been kidnapped. I enjoyed reading your account, Ilsa. What a great exercise for us all to write what we think happened, in many of these hidden places as it were in Enid's books. :D

I then read John Lester's article of his Favourite Illustrations. Nice to see many that I too like and especially one from my most favourite book - The Boy Next Door.

Then I went onto the Enid Blyton Magazine and the letters from Evans Brothers etc. I have to confess I never collected the Magazines, as they didn't and don't really hold much interest for me, but it was amazing to read about the papers and costs etc.

I will read the rest later today hopefully.

Thanks to all who contributed and to Tony for the well put together Journal. :D

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

My computer was updating for over an hour, so I took the chance to read some more of The Journal. I very much enjoyed reading about Enid Blyton's Magazine, and all of the ins and outs of publication - colour of cover, promotions etc. It certainly seemed that eventually it became very popular, though at the start sometimes the sales seemed to be dipping.

Kayliss, Higgletop and The Sillybillies was an interesting short story. It reminded me a lot of Enid's early stories like The yellow Fairy Book and The Book Of Brownies etc - a 'quest' story in the fairy-tale tradition.

The centre spread showing the gorgeous Eileen Soper jigsaw designs for Bestime were a real feast for the eyes. I would have particularly loved Five Have A Wonderful Time and Five On Holiday - what lovely jigsaws they would have made! I actually have an A4-size scan of Five On Holiday in a frame on my bedroom wall - taken from the reproduction of it that featured in Enid Blyton's Adventure Treasury. :-D

I must admit I only scanned 'The Little Welsh Girl' as I already have 'The Greatest Book In The World' and much of it is just a repeat of what is written there - but it will no doubt be very interesting to those who haven't read 'The Greatest Book In The World. I was lucky enough to pick up a really good copy in a very good DW for only £4 a few years back.

I agree it is interesting to imagine missing scenes from Enid's well-known books, and I enjoyed Ilsa's account of Dick's adventure in Five Get Into Trouble. This sort of thing has so much scope, and it would be fun to see more in future Journals! :-)

Just a few more articles to read now! :D
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

Another excellent and very interesting journal. Tony may have worried about the quantity of articles he had to work with but there's no doubting the quality. Such a diverse range of subjects too, from the minutes of a meeting discussing the Enid Blyton Magazine to finally finding out what happened to Dick after his kidnap in Five Get Into Trouble.
I don't own many short story collections but Anita's article, as always, makes you want to read the stories yourself. Adventure For Two and Prisoner In The Cave have whetted my appetite but I already intend to buy some of Enid's collections for my granddaughter who has just turned three. It will be fun reading Blyton to her as I did to her father when he was little.
John Lester picked some wonderful illustrations as his favourites but he didn't pick my personal number one. I'm firmly of the opinion that the original illustrators were the best as I grew up with them so I heartily agree with most of his choices. I always find it interesting to read about personal preferences of other society members.
I shall comment further when I have more time but thanks to all the contributors for their time and effort.
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Yes, a great idea, Ilsa. I cannot believe no-one else ever thought of doing that! Well done.

I too enjoyed the story featuring Kaliss. Mind you, wouldn't it have been much simpler to bottle some more honey! I also enjoyed reading "Hallo! How are you?". A fab little story.

I also found Tony's article on Enid Blyton's Magazine enjoyable - it was so interesting to read the letters from Evan Brothers Limited. Worthy of note is the fact that EB could stand for either Evan Brothers or Enid Blyton!

I am sure Angela's article was of interest to many, but I am afraid eight pages of Bibles rather turns me off. No criticism intended towards Angela, more a statement about me.

Another fab Journal. Thanks to Tony and the contributors.
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Rob Houghton wrote:The centre spread showing the gorgeous Eileen Soper jigsaw designs for Bestime were a real feast for the eyes. I would have particularly loved Five Have A Wonderful Time and Five On Holiday...
I like those two best as well. The castle, steam engine and landscapes are beautiful.

I too enjoyed Daisy's account of Dick's adventure. The story 'Kaliss, Higgletop, and the Sillybillies' is great (Enid Blyton came up with some super titles in her early days!) and it's interesting to see the Phyllis Chase illustrations. Regarding '"Hallo! How Are You?"', it amused me that the two siblings are called Julian and Anne.

Thanks for your comments on my article, John. I hope your granddaughter enjoys Enid Blyton's short stories.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:it amused me that the two siblings are called Julian and Anne.
Yes, I noted that, too. I almost mentioned it as well, but the doorbell rang and I had to finish quickly!
Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Moonraker wrote:
Anita Bensoussane wrote:it amused me that the two siblings are called Julian and Anne.
Yes, I noted that, too. I almost mentioned it as well, but the doorbell rang and I had to finish quickly!
I need glasses. I read that as 'the doorbell rang and I had to flash quickly'...

But to get back on track - I noticed that too - and even Kiki made an appearance! ;-)
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Rob Houghton wrote:I need glasses. I read that as 'the doorbell rang and I had to flash quickly'...
:shock:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

One of the highlights of this journal is the back page, showing the cover of Fairy Tales, a Birn Brothers book. Hardly a book though when it contains only 10 pages! I've never seen one of these books but, when attending a book fair, I always look carefully at dealers who have items under glass just in case they have one. Not that I could afford to buy one but I would like to be able to look at one in my hand.
Rob mentions, in his article, The Wonderful Adventure, another Birn Brothers book. I've got a copy of this but mine is the Society facsimilie edition. It's a wonderful story as well, the forerunner to Enid's many adventure books. Some good choices there, Rob, and I'm pleased that you've singled out books not in the usual mainstream series.
Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Thank you John! :-D Yes - my copy of The Wonderful Adventure is a Society publication - mine is the version that once appeared inside a EB Day programme.

I had to choose my 'Adventure books' carefully for my article as I plan to do another one at a later date with books I consider to be more 'Mysteries' rather than 'Adventures' - such as the Find Outer books, Barney books, Holiday House, Treasure Hunters, Boy Next Door etc. :-)
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

John Pickup wrote:Rob mentions, in his article, The Wonderful Adventure, another Birn Brothers book. I've got a copy of this but mine is the Society facsimilie edition. It's a wonderful story as well, the forerunner to Enid's many adventure books.
I bought a copy from EBS a few years ago and throroughly enjoyed it.
Yes, it's a forerunner to EB's suspenseful stories. 8)
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock