Journal 65

What did you think of the latest Journal?
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Re: Journal 65

Post by Chrissie777 »

Rob Houghton wrote:He's got very big hands for his age! :lol: Great photo!
:wink:
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

Julie2owlsdene wrote:I won't be home until Sunday, so I'll have to wait until then to check page 45.
My copy has page 45 (Enid Blyton's Magazine).
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

Rob Houghton wrote:I would love to see more members writing Journal articles - its good to get fresh perspectives on well-known books and lesser known ones or hear about peoples reading experiences etc.
The only article which I could contribute would be one about our long walk along the Thames river from Marlow to Bourne End in late September 2008, accompanied by several photos.
But I kind of doubt that it would be appropriate for the EBS Journal. :?
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Moonraker wrote:
Rob Houghton wrote:Will you get a discount from the printer? I should hope so! :-(
I would thing the main worry (depending on how many copies have to be re-sent) has nothing to do with the printing costs, but the postage - especially if affected copies are in Australia! Overseas postage increases on Monday, a double whammy.
Oh yes, I agree, but depending on how many Journals don't have those four pages ( 39, 40, 45 and 46) that could make quite a difference to printing costs, as the price usually goes up in relation to how many leaves are used, and obviously 84 pages will cost more to print than 80 pages. :)

On a different subject, I've noticed that there isn't one single Betty Maxey illustration in the whole Journal! :lol:
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

I would love to comment about that Rob, but Nigel has said we must not clog up this thread. :cry: :D
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Thank you, Pete; you know it makes sense!

I had to smile when reading Anita's favourite stories, from Enid Blyton's Happy Adventure Tales:

"The Prisoner in the Cave"
"Adventure for Two"

I immediately thought of Tony unable to get out, and Anita jumping on a train to New Sarum so that she could rescue him.
Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Moonraker wrote:Thank you, Pete; you know it makes sense!

I had to smile when reading Anita's favourite stories, from Enid Blyton's Happy Adventure Tales:

"The Prisoner in the Cave"
"Adventure for Two"

I immediately thought of Tony unable to get out, and Anita jumping on a train to New Sarum so that she could rescue him.
Is this the acceptable form of 'thread clogging'? :lol: :twisted:

I must admit I've been reading a few of the stories Anita mentions in her article - including 'The Packet of Sweets' and 'The Wrong Bus' - both very entertaining. Although I have all the Holiday Books from which these stories come, I'm reading them in the Sunshine Library editions. For me, those very 1970's illustrations add a whole level of nostalgia which enhances the experience no end! :-D
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I have so many of these short story collections, but as a child wasn't really interested in short stories - still aren't, for that matter (by any author). Maybe, if I am stricken to bed with 'flu some time, I will read some of them.

I must say, as well as enjoying Anita's article, I did enjoy John Lester's piece on 'Favourite illustrations'. How evocative the ones chosen were, and I share his love of them. I was surprised to read that Horace Tipperlong (Tripalong) was referred to as Horace Turnbull. Was this an error, or an update I've missed? Incidentally, a shame this illustration wasn't included in the article, although I appreciate Tony can't include all mentioned!

This is one of my all-time favourites. I have loved it since I first saw it as a child. If the birds were puffins, it could well be our very own John Pickup!

Sea of Adventure is one of my favourite Adventure stories. It is interesting to compare reviews of this book by Keith and Anita.

A good start to the Journal, and my appetite is whetted.
Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

I wondered about "Turnbull" too.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Don't tell me Horace Tipperlong is secretly the half-brother of the current Australian PM (Malcolm Turnbull)... :shock:

Image Image

On a happier note, I can confirm my Journal has all its pages.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I too enjoyed John Lester's 'Favourite Illustrations' and he chose many of my own favourites. I enjoyed it more than the favourite dust wrapper article, only because the dust wrappers don't look so good when they aren't displayed in colour - so felt the illustrations were better served by the black and white.

I admit I didn't notice the 'Horace Turnbull' reference...obviously not paying attention enough to find the 'deliberate mistake'! :oops: :lol:

I was interested to read John's description of the end-paper illustration in 'Five Go Adventuring Again' because 'the pinkish-brown walls of the tunnel' will depend on what edition of this book you have! Mine is more orange than pink, though I have seen the pinkish-brown version...and sadly later versions were often blue, which I think is much less effective.

I think one of my favourite illustrators is Gilbert Dunlop - as I can't think of one illustration done by him that is below-par. I only discovered more recently, on buying earlier editions of the Barney books that anyone with later versions (paperback or hardback Collins Junior Mystery versions) will only know half the illustrations, as there was originally one illustration at the start of every chapter.
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Moonraker wrote:Incidentally, a shame this illustration wasn't included in the article, although I appreciate Tony can't include all mentioned!

When John Lester sent me his article he also sent me a list of possible illustrations to use and said would I pick a few of them. There were 19 illustrations on his list and because I was really struggling to fill some pages I used all 19 illustrations that he suggested. The illustration pictured above was not on his list.

I hold my hand up to Turnbull and admit that I should have noticed it and changed it. :oops: I did change something in Rob's article but I don't think that he has noticed it! :D
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Tony Summerfield wrote: I hold my hand up to Turnbull and admit that I should have noticed it and changed it. :oops: I did change something in Rob's article but I don't think that he has noticed it! :D
I would be the first to admit I hadn't noticed! :oops: :lol:

The one thing I did notice was that you included my full introduction (which I had mentioned to you should be included at the start of each part) whereas I had abbreviated it! :lol:
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I thought you would come straight back to me, so I rushed to your original in my files:-

'Of course, her first readers of this story, reading it fortnightly in Sunny Stories Magazine,'

It was a weekly magazine up to March 27th 1942.
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Ah! I did wonder about that at the time, but was too lazy to check! :oops: Thanks for that Tony! :-D
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member