General Journal Natter

What did you think of the latest Journal?
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Re: General Journal Natter

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Thank you, Boodie. It's always nice to hear how someone has enjoyed your own contribution to the Journal. If my memory serves me correct, I think I did one for a few of the Blyton named dogs, Buster of the Find-Outers being one of them too, and Snubby's dog Looney. :D

I too totally agree with Anita and Nigel on this subject of making some comment on the Journals' even if it's only to say I love reading it. Thank you, Tony and to all who contribute with your articles. No one is asking for 'boot licking' etc. Just a small, thank you. It makes all the difference. As Nigel says, this site is run by Tony alone, he works very hard and it isn't too much to ask for a simple, Thank you!!

This site is mainly about Blyton, and her excellent books! The other non-Blyton topics don't really hold much interest for me. :)

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Boodi 2
Favourite book/series: The Five Find-outers, The Six Cousins
Favourite character: Ern

Post by Boodi 2 »

Thanks Julie! Do you remember the numbers of the journals in which your articles on behalf of Buster and Looney appear? I have only started subscribing to the journal, but as I mentioned, I received a few back issues from Nick and perhaps your other articles are in them!
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Hello Boodie. Journal number 44 is where you'll find Buster - Buster the Adorable Scottie. And number 48 - is The Most Important Dog of All. :)

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Boatbuilder
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Famous 5, Secret Seven, Five Findouters

Post by Boatbuilder »

This probably isn't the best topic in which to post this, but as the criticisms started in it, I suppose it has to be the best place for it.

Those of you who were members of the forum back in 2019 may well recall the member 'kirrin_castle' (Jonathan) started a number of polls on Enid Blyton books, characters, etc., on here and which went down pretty well with most members.

Jonathan subsequently had the idea that he would like to expand on those polls but the limitations of what could be achieved on here using the forum's facilities of the day, made it not possible.

It was at that point that I offered to help Jonathan bring his idea to fruition by setting up a completely new website that would be able to accommodate such polls. It was in the summer of 2019 that we registered the domain eb-surveys.uk at our own expense and I agreed to include it in the hosting package on the server where I have a number of other domains. Whilst the website would run on a forum-based domain, it was made clear that this would NOT be used as a forum as it was certainly not our intention to take anything away from the E.B.Society's website and forum in doing this, but to run it in tandem with the Society's which we believed would have stimulated even more discussion on there.

Both Jonathan and I put in a great deal of work on setting it up, he creating the polls and myself mainly creating the website and helping getting the initial polls up and running, over a period of about two months, during which time the EBS members were invited to apply for membership of the new website using the same username as used on the EBS forums, as it would be necessary to take part in the polls on there, and to do so you would have needed to be registered on the EBS forum first.

When the first polls got up and running in early October 2019, apart from Jonathan and myself there were just fifteen of the remaining forum members who had bothered to register so they could take part, and they were as follows:

Fiona1986
Nick
Courtenay
Rob Houghton
Lucky Star
Laura
Nicko
Chrissie777
snugglepot
shadow
IceMaiden
jstevens1
Ambersmum
Pohutukawa
ed fulcrum

It's now, when I look back at this list, that it is apparent that the three members who seem to have offered up most criticism on the 'Journal comments issue' are all conspicuously absent from it. What happened to them at the time? Too busy doing other things to be able to take part? Were they criticised at the time? NO! Well, the same should be applied to other members on other issues, no matter what they are, without being subjected to unnecessary criticicm! I don't criticise what personal photographs others post (I probably could if I wanted, but I don't) or what topics others post into, either.

I would add that there is one other member who registered on the eb-surveys not included in the above list and that is 'S-Dog2001' but as they only joined in March 2021, shortly after joining the EBS forum, I didn't include it. I did inform them at the time they applied that there was unlikely to be any further additions to it.

Finally, it was the lack of enthusiasm by many of the established members who seemingly had no interest, that led to Jonathan advising me that he saw no point in creating further polls than those that were already up and running at the time. I have continued to let the website domain renew, although I had intended to let it float off into cyberspace when it came up for renewal a few months ago. It is now due to do that in nine months time, when I will almost certainly let it do that.
"You can't change history as that won't change the future"

John's Pictures of Suffolk - https://suffolk-world.com/

Society Member
Hannah

Post by Hannah »

Anita Bensoussane wrote: 07 Nov 2021, 20:58 Even picking out just one article and addressing a particular point from it is worthwhile and may lead to an interesting discussion on the forums. 
Interesting. I've been worrying that if I only comment on one or two articles that might be seen as unfair to everyone else who has also written something.
Society Member
Boodi 2

Post by Boodi 2 »

Julie2owlsdene wrote: 08 Nov 2021, 16:16 Hello Boodie. Journal number 44 is where you'll find Buster - Buster the Adorable Scottie. And number 48 - is The Most Important Dog of All. :)

8)
Thanks Julie! Hopefully I have Journals 44 and 48 as well!
Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Hannah wrote: 08 Nov 2021, 17:53 I've been worrying that if I only comment on one or two articles that might be seen as unfair to everyone else who has also written something.
I completely agree Hannah - I too often feel the same as you.
I tend to comment on one or two articles at a time, then comment on a few more as time goes by.

I actually posted here for quite a bit before I took the plunge and subscribed to the Journal.
When it arrived and I read it I realised what a muppet I was for not subscribing sooner.

I have tried to make up for it by buying previous journals whenever they come up for sale.
I think off the top of my head I still need maybe around half a dozen or under to have a complete set.

It is also a long held dream of mine to have an article that I have written accepted for inclusion in the Journal.
I may be able to submit my long promised overview on Miss Dimity over this Christmas/New year.

My efforts will probably give Tony a laugh if nothing else!!

@Boodi - as mentioned, I too am looking forward to comparing the two Timmy articles. Will the latest show him as Betty Maxey depicted him? Probably not, but I live in hope!!! :D :wink:

I have used one Maxey illustration, Pete, just to keep you happy :lol:
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Boodi 2

Post by Boodi 2 »

Without the comments and feedback from other subscribers I would not have really been aware of the journal. However, the comments aroused my interest and I duly decided to subscribe. When my first journal arrived I was absolutely delighted with it and soon jumped at the opportunity to add back issues to my collection, each of which is a little gem and really increased my knowledge of all things Blyton.

Pete, I am looking forward to reading your article on Miss Dimity in the New Year!!!
Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

BB I think your analogy is miles off there.

Subscribing to a journal - PAYING for a product - and not commenting is a world away from being a member of a forum but not wishing to sign up to an (unofficial) external site to take part in polls.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

T.S Wrote:
I have used one Maxey illustration, Pete, just to keep you happy :lol:
Haven't I always told everybody you are a very nice man!!! :D

Society Member
Jack400
Favourite book/series: Famous Five / Five Find-Outers

Post by Jack400 »

Fiona1986 wrote: 08 Nov 2021, 21:46 BB I think your analogy is miles off there.

Subscribing to a journal - PAYING for a product - and not commenting is a world away from being a member of a forum but not wishing to sign up to an (unofficial) external site to take part in polls.
Agreed, and any site that I have to register with before seeing whether I will be likely to use it deters me. I may also have misunderstood the registration required- I read it as the same password as the Society, rather than merely the same username and didn't fancy that!
I can see the attraction of feedback from readers, but, in the same way that I prefer a film to a play, (the benefit of not having to applaud every few minutes does appeal) I feel that , having paid and if people resubscribe the applause is implied. After all if I purchase a book I tend not to write to the author or publisher afterwards.
Society Member
Boatbuilder
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Famous 5, Secret Seven, Five Findouters

Post by Boatbuilder »

Fiona, I think you missed the point of my post. I used the EB-Survey instance just to emphasise that NOBODY should be pressurised (or should that be 'made to feel guilty') about not commenting about or not taking part in something if they have no wish to. Just as nothing was mentioned on the forum by myself and Jonathan (kirrin-castle) back in 2019 trying to pressurise people into taking part in the EB-survey polls. It was each individual member's own decision to either take part or not. It just so happens that three of those people who are supposedly dedicated Blyton fans and who decided not to participate in the polls are those who started this whole 'criticism episode' off, so I just used them to make the point that in my opinion, they should keep such thoughts to themselves as Jonathan and I did two years ago (not that we had them, anyway).

As Jack has pointed out, you don't tend to write to the author of a good book you have just read, of which there are probably many. I feel there is too much pressure on people to comment on and review things they've purchased these days. I, and probably many others on here, get inundated with them all the time and if I could find the time to review just ten percent of everything I buy, whether it be good or bad, I wouldn't have the time for what I consider the more important things in life. Just buying them should be adequate praise.

Jack, just a small point regarding the registering on the survey website. Passwords for that, this and other similar websites are fully encrypted when stored within the site's database and nobody can decode them. Well, not unless they are a fully-fledged hacker of websites. :shock: :D
"You can't change history as that won't change the future"

John's Pictures of Suffolk - https://suffolk-world.com/

Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

pete9012S wrote: 09 Nov 2017, 17:11 Maybe one day I may live to see a Journal cover utilising Betty Maxey???

Dream sequence ensues.....

Looking back through this thread I spotted a Journal cover I would still love to see one day... :D

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Moonraker wrote: 08 Nov 2021, 11:34I am sure he appreciates the feedback - he would hate to think of himself as Father McKenzie, writing the words of a sermon that no-one will hear!
Love that remark! :lol:

Hannah wrote: 08 Nov 2021, 17:53I've been worrying that if I only comment on one or two articles that might be seen as unfair to everyone else who has also written something.
It would take a great deal of time to comment on absolutely everything so I think people will understand that picking out one or two articles or stories doesn't necessarily mean the rest didn't appeal at all - it's just that certain pieces inspired a particular reaction worth sharing. And the reaction could be one of agreement, disagreement, surprise, puzzlement, new understanding, reassessment, inspiration, reawoken memories or whatever.

Pete, I look forward to reading your article on Miss Dimity in the not-too-distant future. It's great that Enid Blyton gave us so many interesting and varied characters to reflect on, from Timmy to Dimmy to Dummy!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

Moonraker wrote: 03 Nov 2021, 10:18 Split from another topic.
I have noticed that not all members have commented on J75. I wonder if they aren’t really interested or have commitments that have prevented any comment.

Hello Nigel, to be very blunt: in the past 6 or 7 EBS Journals I found in each Journal at the most 3 interesting articles.
When I joined EBS and subscribed to the Journal around 2013, there was a lot more that I found fascinating to read.
So instead of praising the journal even though it barely contains anything that I really enjoy to read, I rather did not comment on it.
I'm retired and have no other commitments.
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock