General Journal Natter

What did you think of the latest Journal?
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Re: General Journal Natter

Post by pete9012S »

Boodi 2 wrote: 05 Nov 2021, 17:01 Following the comments by Moonraker and John Pickup I checked the Journal 75 thread and was relieved to note that I am not among those who failed to comment.

Great to hear Boodi. :D

As Nigel and John said, the Journal 75 thread does seem to have comments sadly conspicuous by their absence...
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Boatbuilder wrote: 05 Nov 2021, 23:40 I don't think it has arrived with anyone in the UK yet, Monique. :D
And that includes me! The Journal is still at the printers and they haven't yet told me when I will be getting it back.
Boodi 2
Favourite book/series: The Five Find-outers, The Six Cousins
Favourite character: Ern

Post by Boodi 2 »

Thanks Tony!
That means I won't have to bother watching out for the postwoman next week and I am quite certain that when it does arrive the journal will have been well worth the wait.
Cheers,
Boodi
Society Member
Boatbuilder
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Famous 5, Secret Seven, Five Findouters

Post by Boatbuilder »

Tony Summerfield wrote: 06 Nov 2021, 11:17
Boatbuilder wrote: 05 Nov 2021, 23:40 I don't think it has arrived with anyone in the UK yet, Monique. :D
And that includes me! The Journal is still at the printers and they haven't yet told me when I will be getting it back.
Well I was spot-on with my assumption, Tony. As Boodi says, it will be well worth the wait. :D
"You can't change history as that won't change the future"

John's Pictures of Suffolk - https://suffolk-world.com/

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Re: Journal 76

Post by Courtenay »

Moonraker wrote: 03 Nov 2021, 10:18 I have noticed that not all members have commented on J75. I wonder if they aren’t really interested or have commitments that have prevented any comment.
John Pickup wrote: 03 Nov 2021, 15:06 I've noticed that too, Nigel, and not just Journal 75. I always like to share my thoughts on the articles published. I also think it is courteous to acknowledge those who have troubled to write them.
pete9012S wrote: 06 Nov 2021, 00:46 As Nigel and John said, the Journal 75 thread does seem to have comments sadly conspicuous by their absence...
Maybe it's just me, but can I just say the constant guilt-mongering over people failing to comment on the latest Journal (this happens in the forums with almost every new issue) actually makes me feel LESS inclined to comment on the latest Journal? :|

Some people do indeed have other commitments — I know I don't find as much time to post here as I used to a few years ago. Quite a number of EBS subscribers aren't members of the forum. Lack of comments posted here doesn't necessarily mean people aren't reading and appreciating the Journal. I do still read it and enjoy lots of the articles, but I don't always get around to commenting beyond a quick acknowledgement.

But the repeated attitude here of "Oh dear, not everyone who receives the Journal is commenting on it"... I honestly do find that off-putting, almost like "Oh well, if you haven't posted your thoughts on the Journal, you obviously don't REALLY appreciate it, whereas we loyal people always do, of course..." I don't want to feel obliged to write a comment just because I and others will be judged negatively by some EBS members if we don't post something — which, going by the above, looks like it's clearly the case.

Seriously — if not everyone who reads the Journal has the time or the inclination to comment on it, it's almost certainly nothing personal. Can't we just accept that and leave it alone?
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Boatbuilder
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Famous 5, Secret Seven, Five Findouters

Post by Boatbuilder »

I thoroughly second your comments, Courtenay. As you say, some of us (even if retired) have lots of other things to do. Well said!
"You can't change history as that won't change the future"

John's Pictures of Suffolk - https://suffolk-world.com/

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

pete9012S wrote: 06 Nov 2021, 22:19 Image

Tony has now kindly provided the Journal's table of contents:

The cover picture is taken from a plate in The Fifth Holiday Book, published by Sampson Low, Marston in July 1950.
How many recognised the cover picture? I racked and racked my limited brains, but drew a complete blank! :oops:

Three stories I am initially looking forward to reading and commenting on are:

. Agatha Christie, Enid and Two Different Houses by John Henstock (4)

. Book Review of Enid Blyton – The Untold Story by Judith Crabb (68)

. Enid Blyton Stories from the Roaring 20s – No. 32: Witch Grufflum's Plum Pudding by Audrey Saint Lo (76)

How about you?
I'm looking forward to all of it, Pete. I was hoping to have an article for inclusion in this journal but with Erika being seriously ill, I didn't finish it in time.
As some people feel that cats, coronavirus and change a letter are more worthy of comment than the journal I might not bother to complete the article I was working on.
Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

It is up to the individual whether or not they comment on the Journal. I usually try to provide an overview of my thoughts on each article but this certainly is not compulsory. A short note to say something like "Oh I have read the Journal and it's great" or some such would however not take long to write and would be much appreciated. However it's personal choice and I think the fact that someone re-subscribes is far more important than a comment in determining whether or not they have enjoyed it.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Very fair, well thought out comments John.

Sometimes, when I come across Journals for sale on ebay I think why would you ever want to get rid of your Journals.

Then I notice the seller has some elusive editions that I had given up on ever purchasing and that sadness goes out of the window and an excited, bidding frenzy overtakes me!! :D
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

John Pickup wrote: 07 Nov 2021, 10:59 I'm looking forward to all of it, Pete. I was hoping to have an article for inclusion in this journal but with Erika being seriously ill, I didn't finish it in time.
As some people feel that cats, coronavirus and change a letter are more worthy of comment than the journal I might not bother to complete the article I was working on.

I do hope you finish your article and send it to Tony, John. Reading the Journal for me, is what Blyton is all about - The articles on her and her work. I'm not really interested in 'off topics' on this forum much, as I much prefer to 'escape into the world of nostalgia' on this forum. And the Journal allows that to happen in some articles. :D

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Aussie Sue
Favourite book/series: Secret Island, Faraway Tree & FindOuter Series

Post by Aussie Sue »

Well said Courtney
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Regarding posting comments about the Journal, it's not compulsory but feedback is of great value - to the editor as well as contributors. An enormous amount of work goes into putting the Journal together three times a year, posting it out, dealing with subscriptions, etc., and it's very useful (and hopefully encouraging!) to have some indication of what readers think. Even picking out just one article and addressing a particular point from it is worthwhile and may lead to an interesting discussion on the forums. 

I know we don't all receive the Journal at exactly the same time as we're scattered around the globe, and even when it has been delivered we may not have time to read it immediately. However, opening up a new Journal is still something of a shared experience as many of us read it only days or weeks apart. If people post (however briefly) about the contents, it strengthens the feeling of being part of a Blyton community.

It's interesting to see which articles people are particularly looking forward to. My eye is drawn to the following:

Enid Blyton, Influencer by Judith Crabb

Agatha Christie, Enid and Two Different Houses by John Henstock

In the Beginning - The Birth of Enid Blyton's Sunny Stories.

However, as Boodi says, that doesn't necessarily mean they'll be my favourites.

I hope Erika is getting better now, John (Pickup), and that you'll be able to finish your article. I'm another one who would love to read it.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Moonraker

Re: Journal 75 Comments

Post by Moonraker »

You've hit the nail on the head there, Anita - comments I totally agree with. My original post (if I realised it would produce several replies, I would have posted under the Journal 75 thread) was just a thought that had come into my head.

I subscribe to Aksherly, the Malcolm Saville Society magazine, but there is no forum and I have never emailed the Society to comment on their magazine. However, I feel that the Journal is a different kettle of fish. This is the product of our forum friends (in the main) and put together by Tony who spends much of his working days in producing this and adding content to our wonderful website - surely the best authors' website there is. I am sure he appreciates the feedback - he would hate to think of himself as Father McKenzie, writing the words of a sermon that no-one will hear!

If I didn't really enjoy the Journal then I wouldn't re-subscribe. If I did read it and enjoy it, I think it only polite to comment - even if it is a one-sentence post. I enjoy reading the comments - especially if alternative views are shown.

For those of you who find time is so tight, you seem to find time to post screeds on non-Blyton threads! Surely, a love of Enid's books is why we joined this forum instead of a general natter-type forum. Not to want to discuss the articles in the Journal seems slightly odd to me.

Still, whatever floats your boat. As John says, re-subscriptions keep the Journal afloat.
Society Member
Boodi 2

Post by Boodi 2 »

Julie2owlsdene wrote: 07 Nov 2021, 18:13 I too will be interested in reading - Timmy the Best Dog in the World, Pete. Because back in Journal 43 - I wrote of - Timmy a Most Remarkable Dog. :D

8)
Thanks Julie! By coincidence, Journal 43 is among the journals Nick sent me and I have not read it yet (as usual I am saving some of them for "a rainy day"!!) so I will read "Timmy a most remarkable Dog" later this evening!!!
Society Member
Boodi 2

Post by Boodi 2 »

I was unable to resist the temptation and read "Timmy a most remarkable Dog" during my lunch break (I am alone today so nobody noticed me reading at the table). I really enjoyed it, especially Timmy's comment about snakes and I totally agree with what he says about the Eileen Soper illustrations of him...they are my favourite too and how I always imagine him. Many thanks Julie and well done on contributing such a great article on Timmy's behalf!!!
Society Member