General Journal Natter

What did you think of the latest Journal?
Boatbuilder
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Famous 5, Secret Seven, Five Findouters

Re: General Journal Natter

Post by Boatbuilder »

Moonraker wrote: 09 Nov 2021, 16:50 Yes, maybe I did go a bit over the top, and apologise if I upset you, Boatbuilder. As Pete says, maybe it's time to cool off.
Thanks, Nigel. Apology accepted. I'm also sorry if some of my comments seemed unfounded. Let's put it all behind us.
"You can't change history as that won't change the future"

John's Pictures of Suffolk - https://suffolk-world.com/

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Because so much of Tony's work for the Journal, The Cave and this website goes on unseen, we can sometimes forget how much effort he puts in on our behalf.
I've heard a rumour that Anita does a bit to keep things running smoothly too!!

So it's a big thank you both from me and I'm sure from everyone who posts here too!
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Boodi 2
Favourite book/series: The Five Find-outers, The Six Cousins
Favourite character: Ern

Post by Boodi 2 »

Well said Pete, I second that and also add my thanks to all contributors to the journal over the years!
Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Fiona (head honcho at World Of Blyton) has done a wonderful review of the Journal which was a most enjoyable read:

The Enid Blyton Society Journal
I have been a member of the Enid Blyton Society (EBSoc for short) for – I was going to say over ten years but then I checked – fifteen years now, and with that comes three journals a year...
Read the article here:
https://worldofblyton.com/2022/09/11/th ... y-journal/

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

A nice article. Great illustrations to accompany it too. It would be great if it inspired a few more people to join up.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Thanks, Pete, though I guess I am head honcho only be default as there is only me, :lol:.

I would love that, too, LS. I've had one comment so far from someone who hasn't subscribed since he had to send a 'sterling bank draft' but may renew his membership now.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

A well written article, Fiona. Anything that furthers the cause of the Journal and membership of the society is always welcome.
Society Member
IceMaiden
Favourite book/series: Too many to mention! All of them!
Favourite character: George

Post by IceMaiden »

I've not seen this thread before but just read the whole lot and feel I'd like to address some of the points.

There's mention of members not commenting on journal issues with this seeming to imply the journal was either not read or not liked. I don't comment on the journal for the same reason I don't post very frequently - lack of time. I'm not retired or home all day, I've got work, commitments and other projects to do, much as I would like to posts tons of comments and post more often I never seem to get the time to do so. I post what I can when I can.

Another comment is that you've time to post in the off topic, games, for sale areas etc you've time to post in the journal ones. I can't speak for anyone else but for me that isn't true. Games, posting a link to a book that someone might be looking for don't take more than a quick post and don't require the same thought or involvement as the more in depths topics that need consideration to answer. Many a time I've read a post and spent time at work thinking up a reply only to have forgotten it when I get home and can't think of another. Off topic doesn't have that, it's more like a written day to day conversation and much easier to reply to quickly, much as if someone starts chatting to you in the street you don't have to think about what you say, it flows from whatever you're talking about. For me it's a way of still participating and being an active forum member when I can't manage to post on the 'proper' threads.

The polls site didn't get ignored on purpose just like all the odd jobs around the house don't get left on purpose. There's only so many hours in a day to do things, and between this site and a poll site if I've 15 minutes spare here's going to be chosen every time. However I do think the fact you could only do polls on it and no posts could be one reason it got less use in general.

Now I may not have the time to comment on the journals but that doesn't mean I don't read or enjoy them. That couldn't be more wrong. I have never seen or read a more thorough, interesting, well put together, insightful, delightfully enjoyable magazine. I've collected several over the years, all of which I gave up on because there were only a few pages or even one or two with something I liked in them. One I subscribed to for two years and never read one page of any of them as they were so dull beyond the covers. A total waste of money. Not so the journal, I'm fortunate enough to have managed to get every back issue and have spent all Summer reading my way through them ( I had no idea the journal existed when it first came out or I'd have certainly subscribed immediately to it). I've now read around 30 of them, and by read I mean every word every page cover to cover because every single thing in them is so enjoyable to read. It must be the only magazine going where every item and article is an eye-catching, deliciously moreish wealth of delight from the first word to the last. They're also extremely inspiring and informative - I've just finished one that had a review of the making of the Castle of Adventure film in it. I'd never seen it but after reading about it it made me want to watch it immediately, which I did on YouTube and thoroughly enjoyed it. Had I not read about it in that journal I wouldn't have known it existed.

I always say Enid Blyton never wrote a bad book. I'm going to add to that the EBS journal never wrote a bad article either. I am not good at writing or putting my thoughts across in words (some of my posts in off topic are testament to that!) so I have nothing but a huge respect for the contributers of those wonderful articles for putting them together so beautifully and indeed in writing them in the first place. The journal in my humble opinion is worth far more than it's subscription cost. If it went up to £100 a year I would still pay it because like Enid's books it's worth it and just as enthralling to read. Hats off to all involved- never stop and never think it's not appreciated or read. It is - some of use just don't have the time to say so as often as we'd like.
Society Member

I'm just an old fashioned girl with an old fashioned mind
Not sophisticated, I'm the sweet and simple kind
I want an old fashioned house, with an old fashioned fence
And A̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶h̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶a̶i̶r̶e̶
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

IceMaiden wrote: 07 Oct 2022, 15:23I have never seen or read a more thorough, interesting, well put together, insightful, delightfully enjoyable magazine... It must be the only magazine going where every item and article is an eye-catching, deliciously moreish wealth of delight from the first word to the last. They're also extremely inspiring and informative...

I feel the same about the Journal, IceMaiden (leaving aside my own articles). I've learnt an immense amount from it over the years about the books and other pieces of writing (including extremely rare publications), illustrators, TV and film and stage adaptations, ephemera, Enid Blyton's life, her correspondence and all kinds of things. It's beautifully-presented as you say - Tony always makes sure it's a feast for the eyes as well as the mind. I've tried a couple of other magazines devoted to well-known children's authors but they were nowhere near as good as the Journal.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Excellent post Ice Maiden. The Journal is easily the best special interest publication I have ever seen (and I too have subscribed to quite a few over the years). I'm glad you've managed to collect them all. The articles are truly amazing from all the contributors.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Boodi 2
Favourite book/series: The Five Find-outers, The Six Cousins
Favourite character: Ern

Post by Boodi 2 »

I agree, and although I have only been a subscriber for the last two years, thanks to the forums I managed to obtain about 25 back issues for free, although obviously I covered the cost of postage, which was expensive but well worth the investment.
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Excellent post, IceMaiden. I am so pleased you managed to find the time to write such an interesting account! :wink:
Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

The society Journal is easily the best magazine ever produced dedicated to the work of one author.
Of course, it needs the contributions from members but Tony's editorship and his insertion of the various letters and ephemera make it a superb publication.
We owe Tony a lot, without him we wouldn't have the Journal or the fabulous Cave, the most comprehensive guide to Enid's work anywhere.
As an occasional contributor, I don't seek praise but I do feel that Tony deserves acknowledgement for all he does even if it is only a simple thank you.
Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

I quite agree John. The Journal is a beautifully produced little booklet which Tony spends many hours on. It is enhanced by the many illustrations which Tony inserts and this makes it stand out from other journals produced by fans of other authors. I gave up subscribing to a couple of others, but our Journal really stands out and is worth every penny of the very reasonable subscription.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Hear hear John and Daisy!

I'm sure even if we are extremely busy just a short thank you would be appreciated by Tony.

It's feedback from Journal Subscribers however long or short, that lets him know all his preparation and hard work has been worthwhile.

Society Member