Journal 63

What did you think of the latest Journal?
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Re: Journal 63

Post by Rob Houghton »

My Journal has arrived also. Many thanks to the Big Boss Man - Tony - and all the contributors! looks like a great issue as always - and I look forward to dipping into it later. The first article I read is always my own, lol - because I'm so self-critical and have to pick out all the things I should have done differently!! :lol:
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Ooh wow, already?? :D I don't think we've had the post here yet, so I may have mine to look forward to today as well — I hope!
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

I hope my copy will arrive within next week. Usually, my copy arrive one week after UK subscribers have got theirs.
IceMaiden
Favourite book/series: Too many to mention! All of them!
Favourite character: George

Post by IceMaiden »

Mine arrived this morning. What a lovely thing to wake up to on a saturday - beautiful summer sunshine and a new journal to get absorbed in 8) :D .
Society Member

I'm just an old fashioned girl with an old fashioned mind
Not sophisticated, I'm the sweet and simple kind
I want an old fashioned house, with an old fashioned fence
And A̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶h̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶a̶i̶r̶e̶
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I've already read the editorial and Anita's excellent opening article about The Mystery That Never Was. I was interested to read this, as my opinion of it is similar to Anita's - and also the circumstances in which I read it! I had the same paperback version as Anita, and likewise I was thrilled to discover a 'new' Enid Blyton novel. Like Anita I was also 13 (according to what's written in the front of the paperback version I have) and like Anita I was disappointed with it once I read it and thought it might have had something to do with being 13 (almost an adult, lol!) and having outgrown Enid Blyton books. I thought I was suddenly able to 'see through her' as an author and was failing to be convinced, as I had been as a younger child.

I still feel that the Mystery That Never Was is one of Enid's weakest - and as Anita says, I now know why this is -
because of Enid's failing mind and illness. However, I do have a first edition with DW these days, and I must admit its tempting to reread it now I've read Anita's excellent article. Anita has a great knack of making things sound exciting and enticing! Somehow she has managed to make The Mystery That Never Was sound like something well worth reading!

Given all the elements that make up the story, it certainly SHOULD have been a great book. There are some brilliant ideas there, and some fairly strong characterisations (on the surface at least) as well as Blyton conventions (old castles, flashing lights, clues, secret codes etc) that I would usually enjoy - so its a real disappointment that the book failed to live up to my 13 year-old expectations. Its one of the few EB books I've only read twice! Perhaps I should give it another go shortly! :-)
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

I've just arrived home and found mine awaiting me. It looks great and I look forward to reading it later today. Many thanks, Tony. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Domino

Post by Domino »

Interesting to note that the television programme referred to in "A letter from Enid Blyton - No: 24" was "Readers and Writers" (Tuesday, April 21st, 1951, at 3p.m.) in which she was interviewed by Frank Tilsley, assisted by his 13 year old daughter, Jill.
This was only the second programme in this fortnightly series. In the first, the interviewee was no less than Sir John Squire, the famous writer and parodist.
So it would seem that Enid was not always held in such low esteem by the BBC as is sometimes suggested.

Dave
He called the greatest archers to a tavern on the green.

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Mine did not arrive today - but I do live in the frozen north. :D
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

I live in the sunny south and I don't seem to have got it yet either! :lol: But then, I haven't seen the postie come today at all, and he's usually here before lunch time...
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
shadow
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery / Mary Pollock / Adventure Series
Favourite character: Kiki / Loony

Post by shadow »

Mine arrived and as I'm still having WiFi problems I've read about half so far. Hopefully in the five minute window where there is a connection I can post this!

Loved the letter from Enid Blyton on page 84.
If I could live here on this secret island always and always and always, and never grow up at all, I would be quite happy
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

I've been told it has arrived in Germany today. I have found the post is sometimes quicker from the UK to the continent than it is from one end of our country to the other!
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Mine has arrived safely and looks great as always. The centrespread commemoration of Five on a Treasure Island is beautiful and really illustrates how the styles of cover have changed through the years. I shall get to grips with the articles on my next days off. :D
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

I've just arrived in Devon so, sadly, my journal will probably be lying on the mat in an empty house. Something to look forward to though.
Society Member
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

My copy has arrived too and I spent an hour in the garden with a cup of tea and the Journal. I turned straightaway to Anita's article on The Mystery That Never Was. I actually quite like this book, despite it being one of the last books Enid wrote. I love Eric Parker's illustrations too (I'm in a minority of one there I think) it's quite possible I read it when it was serialised in Princess comic, I was an avid comic reader then, which probably explains why I like the pictures so much.

Another super issue, many thanks.
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Lucky Star wrote:Mine has arrived safely and looks great as always. The centrespread commemoration of Five on a Treasure Island is beautiful and really illustrates how the styles of cover have changed through the years. I shall get to grips with the articles on my next days off. :D
The centre-spread is really great, I agree. Of course, not being a fan of the latest covers, it also serves as a great demonstration of how the artwork has deteriorated over the last two years! Up until 2015 the cover illustrations were all brilliantly evocative and well drawn, and often atmospheric. Then came the last two versions. Funny how much children's taste in cover styles has changed just recently to the extent that they would reject the other 10 previous covers as being boring! :shock: :(
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member