Journal 62

What did you think of the latest Journal?
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Re: Journal 62

Post by Rob Houghton »

My Journal arrived after all - though not until about 12:30 pm! I've already read bits of it...always read my own article first - because I'm so self-critical. I'm pleased its finally come to an end, and I can start on something new next time. I already know what I'm going to do.

Daisy's 'Anne Kirrin's Diary' looks interesting - I've read a little of it but need time to read it properly. I also read 'The Ones That Got Away' - very interesting, Tony - and i was surprised to see a photo of my kitchen in The Journal!!! :lol:

I've often thought that the Werner Laurie Showbooks were managed very badly by the publisher. If they had been sensible they would have released the Famous Five one first! It was Enid's most popular series, and aimed at slightly older children than Rubbalong and Mary Mouse. Its amazing to me that the publishers aimed such a complicated fiddly cutting-out book at such young children...nearly all the proposed books were aimed at 4 or 5 year olds! As the owner of the sample shown in the Journal (the cut out version!) I can't imagining making this myself until I was maybe 8 or 9 - and I was very used to scissors and had used them regularly even before I went to school. If the publishers had aimed these books at older readers, with books revolving around The Famous Five, the Fatty books and the Adventure books, I'm sure they would have been much more popular!

In Enid Blyton Is So Versatile by John Henstock, I was interested to see that he has quoted roughly the same passages I quoted in my caravan Family articles - I was pleased to see that it isn't just me who finds these books particularly rich in brief but effective descriptions. Some of Enid's best descriptions of nature and weather etc appear in these underrated books. :-)

I haven't read much more of The Journal yet - but I'm looking forward to reading all the ENid Blyton bits and pieces.
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Courtenay wrote: I just love the cover!
I agree! I find it interesting that this, which is the back of the Daffodil Storybook wrapper, is actually much nicer than the front!

By the way...I've just noticed that the back part isn't illustrated in The Cave... ;-)
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

My copy of the latest Journal arrived in the post at midday. It looks a superb as ever and I shall enjoy reading it this evening. Many thanks indeed, Tony and a big THANK YOU for all your efforts in regularly producing such a fine publication. I have already posted a cheque to renew my subscription. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Rob Houghton wrote:
Courtenay wrote: I just love the cover!
I agree! I find it interesting that this, which is the back of the Daffodil Storybook wrapper, is actually much nicer than the front!

By the way...I've just noticed that the back part isn't illustrated in The Cave... ;-)
I used the front cover on Journal 11, but as it is not a very common wrapper I thought that most people wouldn't have seen the back cover. Several of these Flower book wraparounds aren't in the Cave as I don't have good enough wrappers - in this case the spine is very poor.
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

Hope my journal will arrive on Monday next week. Tak sabar nak baca. I think this is my last journal before the next subscription. Will send you the next subscription fee, Tony.
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

I'm impressed that the Journal reached Germany so quickly - post to that country seems very swift. Maybe ours is slower as it doesn't come by 'plane! :?
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
sixret

Post by sixret »

Off topic. I bought several books from one UK seller in September last year. She posted them on Friday evening and I received the package on Monday morning. When I told her, she was very impressed. Like I have always said to most of the doubtful overseas sellers, postal service in my area(at least) is very efficient. Usually I can receive the journal within five working days except during Christmas rush. Almost two weeks to arrive during Christmas season.
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

My journal has arrived. I shall peruse it when I have more time at the weekend.
Society Member
Jack400
Favourite book/series: Famous Five / Five Find-Outers

Post by Jack400 »

My journal has arrived too. In good time for the weekend.
Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

My Journal has also arrived safely. I too hope to find time to relax and enjoy it this weekend. as always it looks absolutely divine. :D
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Nick
Favourite book/series: Five on a Hike Together/Secret Seven
Favourite character: Dick & Susie

Post by Nick »

Usually, at around the time the journal is due, I check the website daily for news about the new journal. This time around, it has completely slipped my memory so what a wonderful surprise to come home and find journal 62 in the letter box. Looking forward to reading it over the ne t few weeks.
Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

I'm pleased to report the safe arrival of my copy of the Journal. After last time I was a bit worried! Thanks for another bumper edition Tony.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Well I really enjoyed this Journal and would like to thank Tony and every single contributor for making it such an entertaining read.

I couldn't sleep last night and decided at 3am to go into the spare room with a torch and read the Journal under the covers just like I did the old days.

I decided to start with the rear cover of the Journal which revealed another 'Birn Brothers' discovery.
I found myself intrigued by this discovery after so much time and wondered how the books had come to light,who found them and where they were found?

Like all good mysteries,searches and puzzles,the rear cover pointed me towards the rear of Journal 50 and another Birn book discovered dating from 1925.

I wondered too how that book had come to light?

The rear of the latest Journal showing the discovered books that led me to:

Journal 50 - another Birn Book discovery.Who discovered it? Do many of the discoveries come from the same source?
Last edited by pete9012S on 17 Mar 2017, 15:53, edited 1 time in total.
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
sixret

Post by sixret »

Very good questions, Pete! I have always wondered the same questions. The only person who can answer such questions is Tony.
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I think various people discover them! I've discovered a couple of books Tony didn't know existed... ;-) It's usually by accident!
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member